ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was ABC, or so I have heard, that had re-used old tapes to record new shows over and this was done to the Cal Jam video tapes...sounds frugal but back in the early 70's, hey, I re-used cassette tapes over a few times!

The BBC were much worse, Music was considered a disposable commodity, and they got rid of many recordings when Colour TV came in because they saw no reason to keep Black and white recordings so many TV shows and Music shows just dissappeared.

Its a legacy they are still from time to time recovering today see these two news stories.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-16150178

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16136521

A long while back before all the new surround formats, ELP released a new abbreviated recording of PAAE in Dolby Pro Logic released in a box set...that is it and BSS in DVD-A and Dolby Digital.

A long while back before all the new surround formats, ELP released a new abbreviated recording of PAAE in Dolby Pro Logic released in a box set...that is it and BSS in DVD-A and Dolby Digital.

The Return of Manticore, 1993. Check out the last line on the picture of the promo cd.

Attachments

• Emerson-Lake--Palmer-Selections-From-T-23643.jpg
    Emerson-Lake--Palmer-Selections-From-T-23643.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 2,647
Too quick, you didn't even left me enough time for a free offering.... :)
BTW, the entire section "new recording" is DS encoded, not only PAAE. This isn't clear on the promo, but it's specified in the boxset credits.

Free is always good, however I am missing some of the tracks on this compilation (and it was cheap). Never let the music industry say I am cheating them out of royalties !;)

Too quick, you didn't even left me enough time for a free offering.... :)

Cheap... it's something nowadays i can do on ebay only... second-hand cd stores has nearly disappeared here. Gotta make another trip to M&V Exc. in Notting Hill!

The ONLY track mixed in Dolby on the Emerson Lake & Palmer "The Return of the Manticore" box set is "Pictures at an Exhibition" (Total Time 15:33) Disc 1, Track 5. It says "mixed in DOLBY SURROUND SOUND" "Dolby Labs Surround Sound consultant: John Kelogg".
It is Dolby pro-logic encoded, not discrete surround.

If anyone can provide proof of other tracks encoded in Dolby Surround, please let me see it. I have had this box set since the day it was released and there are NO such other credits of an entire section being encoded in Dolby in my credits...period.

The ONLY track mixed in Dolby on the Emerson Lake & Palmer "The Return of the Manticore" box set is "Pictures at an Exhibition" (Total Time 15:33) Disc 1, Track 5. It says "mixed in DOLBY SURROUND SOUND" "Dolby Labs Surround Sound consultant: John Kelogg".
It is Dolby pro-logic encoded, not discrete surround.

I'll have to dig my box out and give "Pictures at an Exhibition" a spin to see how it plays in Pro Logic II..... I don't think I've ever tried it.

My mistake... read badly the track infos on the booklet.

I've seen in previous interviews references to your love of audiophile equipment and your interest in surround formats. Any chance of new high resolution surround mixes of your solo or ELP material? I love the SACD and the DVD-A releases of Brain Salad Surgery. Blu-Ray audio releases of other material would be great!
Greg Lake: SONY ARE JUST ABOUT TO RELEASE ALL OF THE ORIGINAL ELP RECORDING IN 5.1. PERSONALLY I AM A BIGGER FAN OF TRUE QUADRAPHONIC.

From Greg Lake's chat transcript. Sounds pretty confident to me! :banana:

Like I have already said, what Greg says and what the real truth is can be totally different stories. Anyone who is familiar with the band is familiar with that.

in fact it seems like releasing new albums or re-releasing old ones absolutely in the will of artists.
labels doesn't interested in the extra financing and efforts, needed for remixing. ambient Pro Logic -
that's how far they got, mainly with live concerts on the video.
not many catalogs was remixed into surround and in every case artists were initiator of such works.

in fact it seems like releasing new albums or re-releasing old ones absolutely in the will of artists.
labels doesn't interested in the extra financing and efforts, needed for remixing. ambient Pro Logic -
that's how far they got, mainly with live concerts on the video.
not many catalogs was remixed into surround and in every case artists were initiator of such works.

Huh?

The text of the Greg Lake chat has just been posted. Here it is in Greg's words verbatim: Greg Lake: SONY ARE JUST ABOUT TO RELEASE ALL OF THE ORIGINAL ELP RECORDING IN 5.1. PERSONALLY I AM A BIGGER FAN OF TRUE QUADRAPHONIC.

Back