ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[U]hmmm it would seem no one is paying attention here!!! see the members link!!!! ELP IN blu ray should be what ---- MLP???[/U]
Why "no one is paying attention here!!!"? "see the members link!!!!"? Would be nice if you explained what you are talking about. I don't live on this site.

Exactly! I still don't see what you're talking about.

the web site is telling us of a show from 2010 on dvd and on blu ray. It would be reasonable to assume although n ot mentioned it wwould be dts ma or dd hd audio. avail. both pal and ntsc for blu ray. Am I not correct? blu ray audio is MLP after all.
http://www.backstreet-merch.com/bands/eme/
please try this link

Sony Music Entertainment and ELP have agreed a monumental catalogue licensing deal... blah-blah-blah... including classics and never before heard archive recordings, available through every type of media.
Sony Music's campaign starts with release of The Essential ELP collection on January 10th 2011, followed by the re-issue of the band's first six landmark albums.
that's it. one's can buy this "The Essential ELP collection" 3-CDs set from amazon for about 7-10 bucks,
thats all. in few days would be january 2012. nothing else in "every type of media" from back catalog haven't appeared so far.
that's why i so much sceptical, that anything good would come out from such cooperation between band and Sony and said that
only willingness and direct involvement of artists in re-issue of their back catalog in surround format, may ensure such re-issue.

the web site is telling us of a show from 2010 on dvd and on blu ray. It would be reasonable to assume although n ot mentioned it wwould be dts ma or dd hd audio. avail. both pal and ntsc for blu ray. Am I not correct? blu ray audio is MLP after all.
http://www.backstreet-merch.com/bands/eme/
please try this link

Still not sure what you're talking about - but a few corrections. First, the BD release referenced on the site was released thru MVD a small, independent video distributor in PA - NOT Sony. Second, The BD stunningly enough does NOT have lossless DTS HD MA or Dolby Tru HD, but sadly, only lossy Dolby. Third, Blu Ray audio is NOT MLP. MLP is Meridian Lossless Packing used for DVD Audio. DTS HD MA and Dolby Tru HD are similar "containers" for compressing lossless audio - but definitely not the same as MLP.

The 2010 release of the 40th Anniversary video does not foretell anything about the potential of the re-release of the catalogue via Sony. And that is a good thing - check out the review of that particular release here;

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Emerson-Lake-and-Palmer-40th-Anniversary-Reunion-Concert-Blu-ray/25350/#Review

Still not sure what you're talking about - but a few corrections. First, the BD release referenced on the site was released thru MVD a small, independent video distributor in PA - NOT Sony. Second, The BD stunningly enough does NOT have lossless DTS HD MA or Dolby Tru HD, but sadly, only lossy Dolby. Third, Blu Ray audio is NOT MLP. MLP is Meridian Lossless Packing used for DVD Audio. DTS HD MA and Dolby Tru HD are similar "containers" for compressing lossless audio - but definitely not the same as MLP.

The 2010 release of the 40th Anniversary video does not foretell anything about the potential of the re-release of the catalogue via Sony. And that is a good thing - check out the review of that particular release here;

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Emerson-Lake-and-Palmer-40th-Anniversary-Reunion-Concert-Blu-ray/25350/#Review

Thats why I belong here. because you will get the correct info. I was all ready to run out and order it like an ass.

The confusion about what DVD-Audio is was probably a reason for it's failure. I just argued with a guy selling the box set of Aqualung on ebay without the Blu-ray disc included. He listed the other DVD as being DVD-Audio. We went back and forth about 4 times as he told me how extensive a collection of surround material he had in his possession and he assured me the Aqualung DVD was DVD-Audio. He finally realized he was wrong and when I tried to contact him again though ebay, he has blocked me from communicating with him. I have also had to hear others on ebay claim they are selling their DVD-Audio disc because they have ripped them. They don't even realize they have ripped the Dolby Digital layer.
Anyone on here who actually knows how to rip DVD-Audio discs knows it can be time consuming but fun and requires a few older programs.
And from what I have read, Dolby TrueHD is the only Blu-ray format that uses MLP processing.
And lastly, this thread about ELP in surround is all predicated on Greg Lake knowing what the hell he is talking about...and that worries me.

The confusion about what DVD-Audio is was probably a reason for it's failure. I just argued with a guy selling the box set of Aqualung on ebay without the Blu-ray disc included. He listed the other DVD as being DVD-Audio. We went back and forth about 4 times as he told me how extensive a collection of surround material he had in his possession and he assured me the Aqualung DVD was DVD-Audio. He finally realized he was wrong and when I tried to contact him again though ebay, he has blocked me from communicating with him. I have also had to hear others on ebay claim they are selling their DVD-Audio disc because they have ripped them. They don't even realize they have ripped the Dolby Digital layer.
Anyone on here who actually knows how to rip DVD-Audio discs knows it can be time consuming but fun and requires a few older programs.
And from what I have read, Dolby TrueHD is the only Blu-ray format that uses MLP processing.
And lastly, this thread about ELP in surround is all predicated on Greg Lake knowing what the hell he is talking about...and that worries me.

You're right about Dolby TrueHD being MLP - thanks for the correction on that, but anything BD coming from Sony will either be DTS HD MA or uncompressed PCM - most likely the latter.

[U]hmmm it would seem no one is paying attention here!!! see the members link!!!! ELP IN blu ray should be what ---- MLP???[/U]

I know this has been cleared up somewhat, but for the record - I posted the link in response tom the Q regarding Sony having rights to the back catalogue and on the linked page that news is in the list...there is nothing there regarding these 5.1 issues and while I *hope* they are true...well, the source is GL and he's not been so reliable in the past so who knows!

I wonder if these possible 5.1 releases would come out in the Spring to coincide with Greg Lake's solo tour...

The BD stunningly enough does NOT have lossless DTS HD MA or Dolby Tru HD, but sadly, only lossy Dolby.

Sadly, I'm not suprised somehow. Most people know I love the band; having said that, I will state that the quality of some of their DVD releases and most of the live albums is simply not up to par much of the time. Why can't they get it right? (Pictures is the most edited performance yet still the most listenable IMHO.

If Lake is a discerning audiophile as he states (not to mention the album producer most of the time) their catalog should be in a better state than this. I think economics rule the day once again and he's been made to think it's too expensive when discussed behind closed doors.

Hopeful but skeptical...I want to be wrong about this.

Actually, Keith Emerson is the audiophile in the band, his early solo albums/soundtracks were half speed mastered at his insistance, and he originally tried to get MFSL to release the early albums (int eh early LP days) but they were rejected at the time because of low quality/high distortion of the master tapes.

I suspect he's the one we need to contact.........

Actually, Keith Emerson is the audiophile in the band, his early solo albums/soundtracks were half speed mastered at his insistance, and he originally tried to get MFSL to release the early albums (int eh early LP days) but they were rejected at the time because of low quality/high distortion of the master tapes.

I suspect he's the one we need to contact.........

I spoke with Keith face to face about the quality of the re-issues and he thought the record companies were doing a good job. I handed him and Greg my version of BSS which BLOWS their releases away and I doubt he ever listened to it. I mixed it from the DVD-Audio individual wav files from each of the 6 channels. Also gave them a DVD-A 6 channel version of WBMF that I mixed from the Quad 8's which included an automated slide show and doubt they ever gave that a spin either.

I spoke with Keith face to face about the quality of the re-issues and he thought the record companies were doing a good job. I handed him and Greg my version of BSS which BLOWS their releases away and I doubt he ever listened to it. I mixed it from the DVD-Audio individual wav files from each of the 6 channels. Also gave them a DVD-A 6 channel version of WBMF that I mixed from the Quad 8's which included an automated slide show and doubt they ever gave that a spin either.

You have anymore of those DVD-A mixes laying around? Maybe you should let the resident experts here (not suggesting me!) do a BSS shootout...

You have anymore of those DVD-A mixes laying around? Maybe you should let the resident experts here (not suggesting me!) do a BSS shootout...

The BSS mix I did was a stereo mix down from the BSS DVD-A disc. The WBMF was DVD-A and it took me months of work to clean it up. It contained a Dolby Digital layer also that did not contain the slide show.

I have so much ELP stuff around here, they should put me away for being such a nut!

Back