ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. This is a possible explanation.
(Next question: "advanced stereo" would be in the audio directory and "LPCM stereo" in the video directory? Or vice versa?)

it's just wordplay. de facto it same stuff, sometimes stereo in AUDIO_TS can be packed into PPCM (MLP) to save the space on disc.
in regard of previous remark, also could be the reason to put stereo into AUDIO_TS directory for convenience. if those stereo and
surround placed in one group, listener can switch between the streams without going to main menu but using "audio" button on remote control.

Thank you. This is a possible explanation.
(Next question: "advanced stereo" would be in the audio directory and "LPCM stereo" in the video directory? Or vice versa?)
Sony used to call their dualdiscs advanced stereo, which was on the DVD side. It was 16/48. Advanced for them I guess.

What should be the difference between "advanced stereo" and "LPCM stereo"?
"advanced stereo" can be PPCM (MLP) or LPCM?

It's semantics, in all honesty.
There should be no difference at all. LPCM Stereo is exactly what it says on the tin - LPCM stereo - and it is 24/48 on these releases.
Advanced Resolution is another way of saying "MLP Lossless", which is also 24/48.
They are listed differently because the LPCM lives in the Video_TS and the AR lives in the Audio_TS.

it's just wordplay. de facto it same stuff, sometimes stereo in AUDIO_TS can be packed into PPCM (MLP) to save the space on disc.
in regard of previous remark, also could be the reason to put stereo into AUDIO_TS directory for convenience. if those stereo and
surround placed in one group, listener can switch between the streams without going to main menu but using "audio" button on remote control.

I wish I had seen this before I wrote my last post as it is just about spot on & would have saved me typing.
PPCM = Packed PCM = MLP Lossless = Advanced Resolution = Dolby True HD. They are all the exact same thing / codec, where the output is bit-for-bit identical to the input.
It is indeed done to either save space (in this case) or to satisfy specs (24/96 5.0 & 5.1 must use this codec on DVD-A)

Well it looks from this tweet like these 2 titles (ELP & Tarkus) might be the only ones Mr. Wilson is remixing after all...

https://twitter.com/StevenWilsonHQ/status/255309325264887808
Ah no, I passed on doing any more work on the ELP catalogue, sorry (but glad you like those two)

I wonder if it was all of the really harsh criticisms of the first two releases on forums like this one (and Steve Hoffman) that led Steven to this decision or if there were other factors in play. Personally, I'm very upset if we will never hear a 5.1 mix of "Trilogy" done by Mr. Wilson, cause I really enjoyed the first two and having a 5.1 mix of Trilogy would make my catalogue more complete, but alas, if it's not meant to be, I guess we'll just have to see what else Mr. Wilson does. :(

thats terrible news... this really made me sad. I really really needed Trilogy... Ive been dreaimg about Trilogy en surround since the first time I heard something in surrond... Its one of my favourite albums of all times, and Im more into metal than prog, but Trilogy has to be in my top 3 albums ever. And i wasnt even born when this came out originally

Indeed, sad news. Perhaps though, the sales figures for the first two might be enough for the label to continue with someone else doing the re-mix. No disrespect, but he's not the only decent re-mixer out there

Well, the fact that Mr. Wilson dropped the project (which is, of course, bad news) doesn't mean necessarily that Sony dropped it as well.

IMMO, considering the general lack (not absolute lack!) of real good music being produced nowadays and the fact that classic old records are mostly what is to be bought by many customers (me included), Sony won't drop nostalgia and re-re-re-re-releases with X, Y, Z, etc. "never before available".

I also follow oxforddickie: Steven Wilson being out of it is something I don't like, but certainly in a world of 7 billion people there must someone else who would do a nice job on the remaining albums. And I hope this gentleman/lady likes not only Trilogy, BSS, WBMFTTSTNE, but also Works I, II, Love Beach, In Concert !!!

So I'm more concerned about the folowing: will Sony go on with the project ???

So I'm more concerned about the folowing: will Sony go on with the project ???

Agreed, this is the only thing we should be asking at the moment, any other questions should be kept for when the answer is known

SW wrote that more 5.1s on the way (besides TAAB and Larks). It seems he dropped ELP due to other mixing projects.

I wouldn't mind having some Elliot Scheiner ELP in 5.1.... ;) ;)
I'm not sure it'd be his "kind of thing" but if you don't ask, you don't get, do you..!?

hmm.. gets me thinking.. I wonder what Sony's own surround supremo's are upto these days?

I'm thinking of the likes of those great guys that did Sony's single layer SACD multichannel mixes back in the day.. whatever happened to..

.. Thom Cadley?
(created the surround mixes for a lot of Sony's contemporary rock/pop/r&b SACDs, including Beyonce, Destinys Child, Mary Mary, Kelly Rowland.. he used to post here at QQ..!)

.. Frank Filipetti?
(responsible for the AMAZING surround mix on the Five for Fighting "America Town" SACD)

..Jimmy Douglass?
(produced amazing surround mixes of Ginuwine's "The Life" and Marvin Gaye's "Midnight Love")

how about Bob Clearmountain!? his surround mixes are always excellent.

George Massenburg did a great job on the Mary Chapin Carpenter SACD..

or Sony could try and coax John Kellogg into working his magic on more ELP in 5.1..!? ;)

most folks never thought there was much wrong with his surround mix of "Lucky Man", til 10 years + had gone by and we got SW's version!

(of course I'm kind of playing devil's advocate a bit..)

... but it illustrates the point there have been a fair few amazing mixers of surround, some unsung heroes if you like.. so as wonderful as SW is, he isn't alone. it just feels like he is, these days!

maybe if these first two ELP DVD-A's have proven themselves sales wise, Sony could take the initiative and get someone else to have a stab at remixing "Trilogy" etc...!?!?

I don't really care too much about ELP after "Welcome Back..", so I'm disappointed SW didn't get at least that far..!

just another incomplete back catalogue in surround, I guess..!? sigh :(

I agree ... let's have Trilogy at the very least. Love Beach is something that might be of interest to Silverline, for their fake surround treatment.

Seriously... does anyone really like Love Beach?

Well, I DO!!!!
Compared to their first LPs, of course it's not up to par, but , it is NOT THAT BAD ...except for the toe curling cover! (YIKES!:yikes )

As for SW dropping it, I think that it was the fact of having TWO Scorpios trying to control the mix (yes, Emo is another Scorpio, but he wasn't involved in the mixing)...

Trilogy is the EASIEST of them all...just release the "archived somewhere in a cupboard in Wales" Quad mix....

Seriously... does anyone really like Love Beach?
LOL
I believe Love Beach would not be as bashed as it was if it was called "Works III" and had a "sober" gray cover! There were comments here, I believe, in which some 3 or 4 users (me included) were bold to say they liked the album. If I'm not wrong, such comments were correctly deleted when this thread was clean out of dozens and dozens of out of topic posts.
Its B-side is musically great: intricate piano lines on "Love At First Sight" (including quotations/variations taken from Chopin's difficult Op. 10 no. 1 Etude), a jazzy "Letters From The Front" with the rare opportunity to hear Emo on a Fender Rhodes piano (pre-Nighthawks GX-1 killer lines as well, not to mention great sequencer effects), and a nothing to fear "Honourable Company" in comparison with "Abaddon's Bolero".

Considering the 5.1 project, I'm sure "Letters From The Front", "Canario" and "Honourable Company" would ended up showing nice details and even entire musical lines never heard in stereo.

Back