ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to take your word on who's ego is bigger. But I had the, ahem, "pleasure" of working with Mr. Lake awhile back, and though I'm a fan of his music both Crim and ELP, I can assure you it was no pleasure.

I'll have to take your word on who's ego is bigger. But I had the, ahem, "pleasure" of working with Mr. Lake awhile back, and though I'm a fan of his music both Crim and ELP, I can assure you it was no pleasure.

He has mellowed with age.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emerson-Lak...=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1333222160&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tarkus-Lake...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1333221860&sr=1-1

Looks like the first two albums will be reissued in the UK on July 16! Amazon's listing 3 discs per album, so I'm guessing Disc 1 is remastered album, Disc 2 is bonus tracks, and Disc 3 is 5.1 DVD(-Audio). OR other scenario, Disc 1 is Remastered album with bonus tracks, Disc 2 is 5.1 DVD(-Audio), and Disc 3 is 5.1 Blu-Ray disc. We shall see...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emerson-Lak...=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1333222160&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tarkus-Lake...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1333221860&sr=1-1

Looks like the first two albums will be reissued in the UK on July 16! Amazon's listing 3 discs per album, so I'm guessing Disc 1 is remastered album, Disc 2 is bonus tracks, and Disc 3 is 5.1 DVD(-Audio). OR other scenario, Disc 1 is Remastered album with bonus tracks, Disc 2 is 5.1 DVD(-Audio), and Disc 3 is 5.1 Blu-Ray disc. We shall see...

$34 for presumably 4CDs and 2 (5.1)DVDs shipped to US? I'm so there! :banana:

Last edited:
It has been confirmed by Steven Wilson that these will be 2CD/DVD packages.

Direct Quote: "
1: CD with original mix in most recent remastered form /
2: CD with new stereo mix of the album and unreleased pieces and alternate takes found on the tapes /
3: DVD with 5.1 mix and all the stereo material.

Blu-rays are unfortunately still incredibly expensive to author and manufacture - to include a BR with these sets I think you would be looking at at least double these prices, which naturally makes the record companies a bit cagey, especially with the currency of multiple disc box sets of classic albums having fallen so much over the last couple of years.

SW"

Besides, in both US and UK, Sony is handling distribution. Although Sony invented Blu-Ray, they seem reluctant to embrace it as an audio-only medium. Go figure! Perhaps they simply want to milk CD a while longer.

Blu-rays are unfortunately still incredibly expensive to author and manufacture - to include a BR with these sets I think you would be looking at at least double these prices, which naturally makes the record companies a bit cagey, especially with the currency of multiple disc box sets of classic albums having fallen so much over the last couple of years.

SW"

I'd assume dvd-v, and *hopefully* not just dolby too.

Now I'm curious about the alternate takes and unreleased pieces. These discs have been out so many times in the past - was this stuff just found now?

I'd guess that some of it was just found, as they'd need to go back to the masters for surround mixes. That bodes well for pristine fidelity, which I expect in it's full CD and DVD-V glory. And, yes, if I'm on this thread, I'm in!

I'd assume dvd-v, and *hopefully* not just dolby too.

Now I'm curious about the alternate takes and unreleased pieces. These discs have been out so many times in the past - was this stuff just found now?

I'd guess that some of it was just found, as they'd need to go back to the masters for surround mixes. That bodes well for pristine fidelity, which I expect in it's full CD and DVD-V glory. And, yes, if I'm on this thread, I'm in!

True that. All the previous "remasters" were probably done from the stereo master mix tape and now for the first time they've had to go all the way back to the multi-tracks. It certainly does bode well for the fidelity, and I'd assume Steven approached it much like he did with Aqualung - keep the spirit of the original mix but tighten up the fidelity.

Direct Quote: "
1: CD with original mix in most recent remastered form /
2: CD with new stereo mix of the album and unreleased pieces and alternate takes found on the tapes /
3: DVD with 5.1 mix and all the stereo material.

SW"

Thankfully then they are not lost in some mega expensive box set packaged with some useless vinyl.

Those prices look very good as well.

This is strange, Sony never supported DVD audio. Their format was only SACD, where did this Steven Wilson confirmation come from?

Back