ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
giving "wideness" of selection of titles in surround, i wouldn't mind to buy second version of BSS with
different 5.1 mix if price is right. even giving the fact that my first BSS DVD-A haven't too often had been played.
and really can't get this concern about order of re-issue. as long, as catalog will be reissued in full, it's doesn't
metter which album come first. eventually all will be available in surround. what more we should ask for?

Why ask for more? To quote the great, late Rodney Dangerfeld in Caddyshack:

"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it"! Oops, wrong quote, try this:

"While we're young!"

Brain Salad Surgery came out in 2001-2002ish. It took 11 years for the next two. I am in my fifties. At this pace I will get Works Vol I in my mid 60's.

Generations move on. Today's generation doesn't give a rats belly button about; ELP, Tull, YES, Genesis, Carol King, Elton John, etc. so by waiting for years
& decades the content owners are actually waiting themselves into major intellectual property devaluation/oblivion.

Otto my lad: You are probably too busy being young & handsome to realise, one day you wake up and your vision goes south,(already happened to me) next thing is that your hearing breaks down with age(Thank God that has not happened). So....

Waiting decades for 5.1 releases poses real problems unless you are 4 years old... ;)

well, perhaps you're right.
but take a look this way - ELP has only 5 worthy albums.
in one year we got 3 of them. for me it doesn't looks bad.

well, perhaps you're right.
but take a look this way - ELP has only 5 worthy albums.
in one year we got 3 of them. for me it doesn't looks bad.

Oh dear, heresy I say. That was pure blasphemy!

ELP - Pirates may be one of the greatest pieces of recorded music!

(And Pictures would be a perfect live album to flow into surround...)

And of course if the multi-track tapes exist for WBMFTTSTNE, we need that in 5.1

Plus... we havn't got squat yet. If somebody can wake up old Neil Wilkes.... we can get that "third" title you talk about.

I have it on good authority that information may be forthcoming soon

Dear good Sir Knight(who looks a lot like Frank Zappa),

My good man, certainly you can spill more than one tiny bean with us patient(and not so patient-me) pilgrims of the 5.1 variety.

I'm sure you could use some type of "code" that wouldn't alarm the nasty little lawyers with ASCAP or Sony International, and enlignten us further
with a few more details???

Oh and please do tell all about Pirates & the rest of Works. Vol I being right behind BSS & Trilogy...

@Quad Linda, R.V. Diggele & LizardKing: Why did you like this guy?, He has told us nothing, perhaps we need to go vist with Mr. Paslow, down in the basement.

Assistant: Untie Mr Paslow.

Rhonda: But he has told us nothing.

Assistant: There is a customer.

(The sound of chains and a lock being opened and then footsteps)

Assistant: Right this is Mr Paslow he'll look after you.

Customer: Oh right thank you. Well Mr Paslow I was waiting for more 5.1 ELP info.... (pause) Hello? Mr Paslow? I think there is something wrong with Mr Paslow.

Assistant: Let's have a look. Ah yes his head's been ripped off. I'll get you another.

This little Monty Python bit is surprisingly relevant to our situation here, dare I say...

The customers await....

. A bigger question is why BSS comes before Trilogy. I would think putting out the unreleased 5.1 Trilogy would raise more public interest than another 5.1 edition of BSS(search amazon for ELP - BSS releases, there must be 25 or so available, including 2 5.1 mixes....) Both BSS & Trilogy have Greg Lake popular ballads on them, so their commercial strength is about even...
I think the reason BSS is being released BEFORE Trilogy is that this is BSS 40th anniversary...that is all.

I think the reason BSS is being released BEFORE Trilogy is that this is BSS 40th anniversary...that is all.

That's my thought too - they can actually get the 40th anniversary edition out right around the 40th anniversary....what a concept!

A *possible* update on when the 5.1 mix of "Trilogy" may be released:

Amazon US has now changed the release dates for the Vinyl Remasters of "Trilogy" and "Brain Salad Surgery" (originally listed for October 15)
The BSS date is now listed as 11/11/13, and (more importantly), the "Trilogy" release date is now set for 1/28/14. Hope that stands! I can't wait any longer for "Trilogy" in 5.1!

Early 2014 may actually be better than the end of 2013 if we get "Trilogy", "A Passion Play" (Jethro Tull), and a new Yes mix (Hopefully "Going for the One") all within the first few months of next year! :)

Yet ANOTHER update on the ELP release schedule saga...

Someone asked on ELP's official Facebook page about the "Brain Salad Surgery" release, and the ELP page responded back and said "It's not coming out in November".
When asked when it would be released, the page responded with "We will make an announcement in November".

Maybe "Trilogy" has already been mixed too, and they will just wait and release both of them together either at the very end of this year (in December), or very early next year (like January or February). Either way, I can wait longer for another "BSS" 5.1 mix, but I can't wait for "Trilogy"! :)

Yet ANOTHER update on the ELP release schedule saga...

Someone asked on ELP's official Facebook page about the "Brain Salad Surgery" release, and the ELP page responded back and said "It's not coming out in November".
When asked when it would be released, the page responded with "We will make an announcement in November".

Maybe "Trilogy" has already been mixed too, and they will just wait and release both of them together either at the very end of this year (in December), or very early next year (like January or February). Either way, I can wait longer for another "BSS" 5.1 mix, but I can't wait for "Trilogy"! :)

Aaargh still no Trilogy date :howl

Aaargh still no Trilogy date :howl

I clearly don't understand the music business. Who would benefit from a multi-month delay in releasing the new 5.1 version of BSS? The remixing is complete, per Jakko's tweets over the last few months. So, what needs to happen now? Can't they get Chris Welch to whip up some liner notes and release it? I would think that the holiday season (only a few months off) would be a good time to get this on the street.

The stereo mix has to be mastered.
The 5.1 mix has to be mastered.
The stereo and 5.1 mixes have to be encoded to MLP.
The stereo and 5.1 mixes have to be encoded to DD and/or DTS.
Artwork has to be created for both DVD-A and DVD-V sections (the specs are different for both).
DVD-A layer has to be authored.
DVD-V layer has to be authored.
Mixes, authoring and artwork have to be approved by band/management.
Replication masters have to be made and properly QC'ed (look at the Dream Theater/Oppo problem, which is due to bad QC)
Liner notes, etc. have to be created.
Artwork for discs and packaging has to be created and approved by band/management.
Discs and cases have to be replicated.
Finished product has to be shipped to retailers around the globe.

Mastering houses, authoring houses, artists, graphic designers, replication plants, logistics companies, etc. are not sitting around doing nothing waiting for this to happen, they have multiple simultaneous jobs going on, so each one of those things has to be slotted in to an opening in their schedules. Not to mention all the legal/licensing hurdles that have to be cleared before something hits the streets. This isn't something that can happen in a month, as you can well see.

They can skip this step, and if the mix is really good (like almost every Steven Wilson) they SHOULD skip this step, so as not to possibly muck up the natural sound of the mix.
Are you talking about fiddling around with EQ adjustments? Yes, they can skip that but it still has to be mastered.

Yes, they can skip that but it still has to be mastered.

its depends who doing the mix.
as a matter of fact if one, who's doing mix, has good hearing, he perfectly can comply task without post-mastering.
it's not really hard, having particular tracks which must be blended in DAW, simple preview through monitors will show you
how final result will sound thus one need just play with level of each track in multitrack editor, to tweak overal sound to
desirable. if each studio track have been recorded properly, there won't be need in compressor, filters or even EQ at all.

The stereo mix has to be mastered.
The 5.1 mix has to be mastered.
The stereo and 5.1 mixes have to be encoded to MLP.
The stereo and 5.1 mixes have to be encoded to DD and/or DTS.
Artwork has to be created for both DVD-A and DVD-V sections (the specs are different for both).
DVD-A layer has to be authored.
DVD-V layer has to be authored.
Mixes, authoring and artwork have to be approved by band/management.
Replication masters have to be made and properly QC'ed (look at the Dream Theater/Oppo problem, which is due to bad QC)
Liner notes, etc. have to be created.
Artwork for discs and packaging has to be created and approved by band/management.
Discs and cases have to be replicated.
Finished product has to be shipped to retailers around the globe.

Mastering houses, authoring houses, artists, graphic designers, replication plants, logistics companies, etc. are not sitting around doing nothing waiting for this to happen, they have multiple simultaneous jobs going on, so each one of those things has to be slotted in to an opening in their schedules. Not to mention all the legal/licensing hurdles that have to be cleared before something hits the streets. This isn't something that can happen in a month, as you can well see.

Well said, Dave.

Well at least I now have a confirmation that the "Trilogy" 5.1 mix has already been worked on. Whether it's finished or not, that's another story...
I was browsing through Sid Smith's blog (which is great, BTW), and it was this post that caught my attention: http://sidsmith.blogspot.ca/2013/04/surrounded.html

Allowing a period of recovery Jakko also played us some other 5.1 mixes he's been working on as well as some solo and related material.

When I asked Sid if the other 5.1 mixes were the ELP mixes, he said:
Yes it was Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery. Great stuff.
:)

Thank you Ryan for all your investigative work!

You're welcome! "Trilogy" is probably the 5.1 mix I'm most anxious to get, cause we've already got the other three great ELP albums in 5.1, so "Trilogy" will complete my ELP in 5.1 collection, and that's why I'm actively investigating when it's due to be released! (I don't care about the Works or Love Beach albums)

Also hoping for the other King Crimson releases next year too, and with Jethro Tull, these collector's editions will probably continue at a yearly rate (although next year, we may get both "A Passion Play" and "Warchild" to pick up the pace, hopefully) and with Yes, we are just getting started! :)

Back