Heathkit AA 2010

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qrx8001

IMG_7620.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7620.jpg
    IMG_7620.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 302
Very nice! Clean and sweet. (y)

(Did you build the kit yourself?)

Cool. I have one also in use to drive one pair of my front Advents and both back pairs.

Someday, I will run another set of wires to the other back pair and have separate amps for each pair.

The other amps are almost identically power amped AA-29s.

Doug

most of what was then, was really good clean amplification. This unit, and the Lafeyette and other off brand-you build it was really good stuff for it's time.

Back in the day, I lusted over these. A beauty! Only the meters shout that it's Quad.

When I sold Quad, a client came in seeking speakers. When I asked him what receiver or amp he had, he replied, "Healthknit!" I didn't just hear that. Later, another of our "audio insultants" confirmed that was exactly what I heard.

It sounds really good like most Heathkit amps.

Heathkit engineers of the day used quasi-complementary circuitry so they could use two NPN devices in the outputs instead of one NPN and one PNP which were not as stable as NPN devices in those (late 1960s) days. Distortion free and very authoritative. My AA-29s are the same. In fact, the AA-2010 is virtually two AA-29s in one package. The only real difference is in the output transistors which, in the AA-29, are 2N3055s and in the AA-2010, MJ2841s. The specs for both transistors are similar.

Doug

A friend is sending me a QS-D2. How would you rate the way it decodes QS material?

Back