The Wall is Coming to 5.1 SACD Surround Sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, Brian, ANY word on when AP will FINALLY release the James Guthrie remix of PF's THE WALL? Seems like eons ago he started remixing it into 5.1.

Had dinner the other night with a good friend of mine who is also good friends with Guthrie (sorry, that's about as close as I get to knowing actual important people :) ) and I asked him if he knew anything about the status of The Wall 5.1. He said that he knows Guthrie is still working on it but that apparently there are a lot of issues with the condition of the multis and other projects keep taking priority, but that it is still coming eventually.

....take that for what it's worth, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

I asked him if he knew anything about the status of The Wall 5.1. He said that he knows Guthrie is still working on it but that apparently there are a lot of issues with the condition of the multis and other projects keep taking priority, but that it is still coming eventually.

Yes, that's been the status of the project to mix and release The Wall in 5.1 SACD Surround Sound for some time.

Yes, that's been the status of the project to mix and release The Wall in 5.1 SACD Surround Sound for some time.

Doubtful whether those 'distressed' multitracks have been transferred to digital and they aren't getting any 'younger.' It will be somewhat of a minor miracle if we ever see a proper 5.1 remix of the Wall. REALLY hope I'm wrong.

Doubtful whether those 'distressed' multitracks have been transferred to digital and they aren't getting any 'younger.' It will be somewhat of a minor miracle if we ever see a proper 5.1 remix of the Wall. REALLY hope I'm wrong.

Well at least Meddle did sort of come out...

Had dinner the other night with a good friend of mine who is also good friends with Guthrie (sorry, that's about as close as I get to knowing actual important people :) ) and I asked him if he knew anything about the status of The Wall 5.1. He said that he knows Guthrie is still working on it but that apparently there are a lot of issues with the condition of the multis and other projects keep taking priority, but that it is still coming eventually.

....take that for what it's worth, but I thought I'd share it anyway.
Hi wonder what the other projects are. He was heavily involved on the vinyl reissues (for good, I'd say) but he did not collaborate on the Early Years boxset.

Hi wonder what the other projects are. He was heavily involved on the vinyl reissues (for good, I'd say) but he did not collaborate on the Early Years boxset.

Well there was the 5.1 surround mix of "Amused to Death" which came out in 2015, and who knows? Maybe he's been working on a 5.1 surround mix of "Animals" which will come out in a few months as part of some 40th anniversary celebration.
(Hope Springs Eternal, right?) :)

Well there was the 5.1 surround mix of "Amused to Death" which came out in 2015, and who knows? Maybe he's been working on a 5.1 surround mix of "Animals" which will come out in a few months as part of some 40th anniversary celebration.
(Hope Springs Eternal, right?) :)

Oh, my...Animals in multi-channel would just...be...killer....

All those grunting pigs, etc.....might be frightening. In a good way. :)

I'm curious if "Momentary Lapse of Reason" will get a 30th anniversary treatment with a 5.1 mix.

Maybe invite your friend to dinner again and ask? :p

I'm curious if "Momentary Lapse of Reason" will get a 30th anniversary treatment with a 5.1 mix.

Another different friend that should be, I doubt James will have anything to do with Momentary's 5.1 remix

I think it will be one or the other. (meaning "Animals" or "A Momentary Lapse of Reason")
I highly doubt Pink Floyd would put together two deluxe reissues for release around the same time of two very different albums.

Several years ago, Andy Jackson was working with David Gilmour and Nick Mason on an updated version of "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" where the drums were rerecorded (without all the 80s effects) and they were also pulling more organic keyboard sounds from Rick Wright's live performances from that tour, but the project was never finished, and it's been several years since it was last worked on.

The Wall would be terrific, but give me Animals or give me death! I've been waiting for that one for 15 years. I'm not holding out much hope though.

I wouldn't be surprised if it took a back seat due to Roger's live solo Wall dvd/Blu Ray, which was only released a year ago. Its obvious Guthrie hasn't had anything to do with Roger's current solo album, which is a shame since I'd like to hear that in 5.1.

Animals could definitely tide me over, but yes...its been an awfully long wait for a 5.1 SACD of The Wall since the idea was first talked about in interviews.

And count me in for Andy Jackson to resurrect that 5.1 Momentary Lapse! I'd love to hear how it would sound with a "warmer" feel. I loved his mix for The Division Bell.

Back