The Wall is Coming to 5.1 SACD Surround Sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another update in the form of an interview with James Guthrie himself, conducted by Brain Damage:

Is Pink Floyd's The Wall Immersion edition going to have a 5.1 Surround Mix?
James: My understanding is that EMI plan to stick to their release schedule for the 'Why Pink Floyd?' campaign, which means there wouldn't be time to include a 5.1 mix in 'The Wall' Immersion Box. I will be doing a 5.1 mix of The Wall for release on SACD, but we don't have a planned release date for that yet. The original multitrack tapes are in pretty bad shape, so the project will take some time. I'm currently working on a Blu-ray release of 'The Wall' Movie.

Sorry to be threadcrap , but the last REAL Floyd LP was "Animals"...the other 2 with RWat are his NEUROSES taking over...have listened to the Wall maybe once in 20 years...and I don't think I have played "The Final Cut" ever since I bought it!!!
And a JG 5.1 remix would be an "Extended Stereo" mix which I can do with my receiver....
I'm not saying RWat stinks, I saw him live a few years ago and he put on an AMAZING show!!! Just liked it better when PF was more PF and less RWat

We should amend the petition to ".....by Steven Wilson." :)

Agreed.

But having said that - I'm personally happy with a Guthrie mix (but not a Jero up-mix :eek:).... at least we're getting it released on SACD in 5.1... A Wilson (or Elliot mix) would be better...

Agreed.

But having said that - I'm personally happy with a Guthrie mix (but not a Jero up-mix :eek:).... at least we're getting it released on SACD in 5.1... A Wilson (or Elliot mix) would be better...

I wasn't overly impressed with Scheiner's job on "Layla," but liked his Flaming Lips work.

I wouldn't buy a Guthrie mix of "The Wall." Only in clarity did it represent a big improvement over something I could do myself.

when i have no complaints to sound of 5.1 WYWH, the surround mix isn't thrilled me at all.
architecture of music of PF fit to more agressive surround approach. particularly such album
like The Wall. most likely i wouldn't expect too much.
there also EMI no more independent company and perhaps very much would depend on the UM.
anyway, the good side all of this - that finally labels did heard ours voices and can't anymore
argue that the surround music in HiRes audio isn't in demand and this could push them to come
to some positive conclusion.

In the hands of Steve Wilson? Yay. In the hands of James Guthrie again? Meh. I love the clarity of his previous mixes, but he needs to go bigger than "big stereo" to get me excited.

Remember how many years we waited for WYWH to be released AFTER it had been completed? The Wall hasn't even been completed yet (or even started?). I'm not holding my breath.

Has Alan Parsons retired?

Anyway they should delay the box set until the surround mix is ready, then we can get it and the stereo mix on Blu-ray like the last two. Otherwise there is very little chance it will ever come out on Blu-ray.

Well, that's good news I suppose, as long as 2012 does not really mean 2020 (at best).

Now, if they could only do away with the Bob Ezrin (over)production and let me hear the songs over the producer (like the live versions) I'd be really happy.

Has Alan Parsons retired?

Anyway they should delay the box set until the surround mix is ready, then we can get it and the stereo mix on Blu-ray like the last two. Otherwise there is very little chance it will ever come out on Blu-ray.

Well, okay as long as it's still available on its own, but don't give them the idea to make it only part of the box set!

The problem with the SACD will be they'll have to put it on 2 disks to include the silly CD layer. I'd like to hear the entire album straight through without having to get up and change disks in the middle.

And you know it won't be $35 like the other one, more like $60.

It's pretty clear they are not going to disrupt their scheduled release program just for this. Given previous experience it'll be a year or more before we see it. Perhaps this allows time to lobby for a more aggressive mix philosphy?

I'm sure it will get mixed promptly, but then it will have to sit somewhere for a few years before it gets released.

One issue I see is that Roger Waters controls The Wall. Though he has mellowed in recent years, if he decides to be a perfectionist regarding the surround mix it may take years. Although I don't think it's the best PF album, Roger seems to think it's his masterpiece...

One issue I see is that Roger Waters controls The Wall. Though he has mellowed in recent years, if he decides to be a perfectionist regarding the surround mix it may take years. Although I don't think it's the best PF album, Roger seems to think it's his masterpiece...
I totally agree with Roger. It's the only PF album I play on a regular basis. I feel "Animals" is the worse in the catalog. I can only listen to one song continually and that's "Pigs".

Back