The Wall is Coming to 5.1 SACD Surround Sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I thought after four days this thread would be buzzing with activity! Could it have to do with the person doing the mixing?

I totally agree with Roger. It's the only PF album I play on a regular basis. I feel "Animals" is the worse in the catalog. I can only listen to one song continually and that's "Pigs".

I have to agree and yet disagree at the same time, for different reasons with each release. Animals is awesome when it comes to the writing and execution, but the sound has always been a bit flat and lifeless - something that I can can be corrected from the multitracks for a surround mix. The Wall (for me anyway) is a bit the opposite - the production overshadows the great writing for the album, as is common with Bob Ezrin. Somewhere in between with both albums might just be perfect for me.

Hi all.

I'm resurrecting this thread because we have a unique opportunity to make our voices heard.

This Thursday @ 12:30pm UK time (I think that's 6:30am US time) Roger Waters will be holding a press conference to discuss the 2013 Wall European tour, and he will be taking questions from fans!

So send him a question via this link (http://www.rogerwaters.com/qa.php) and ask him if we will hear a 5.1 mix of the original Wall album in the future!

(Oh, and the Facebook fan page is still open and still gathering fans! https://www.facebook.com/surroundthewall)
:)

I want a 5.1 of Animals and Meddle. I'm not a big fan of the Wall. Even obscured by clouds would be great in 5.1

I want a 5.1 of Animals and Meddle. I'm not a big fan of the Wall. Even obscured by clouds would be great in 5.1

If any of the albums mentioned above stood a chance of being mixed and released in 5.1, it would definitely be The Wall, followed by Animals, Meddle, and Obscured. I wish they would've mixed and released all of the albums when SACD was actually "in" but better late than never...

from whats been said many times here in this site.... the tapes are in pretty bad shape and some are missing so this may never happen :(

I hate to hear of tape degredation and/or loss... This is why we need to get as many older classic albums as possible remixed before it's too late!

from whats been said many times here in this site.... the tapes are in pretty bad shape and some are missing so this may never happen :(

For this album, I have never heard of tapes being missing, but you are right in terms of the tapes being in pretty bad shape.
I'm certain it can still happen, but it has to have 100% commitment to it from all who would be involved in such a massive undertaking.

This album would have been an analog nightmare in production! They did this about 10 years before the technology got to the point that a production like this was really reasonable. The master tape is going to have patches spliced in for every segue. Each song itself is likely a number of sections spliced together.

And the mixes are sure not quick 1st rough mixes! So the tapes would have a lot of miles on them by the end of the original mix sessions.

Gonna be very honest here and say I'm not as chomping on the bit about this one as everyone else rightfully is. Atom Heart Mother, Meddle and to a somewhat lesser degree Animals are the ones I'd like to see more. The Wall is something I have to rate as something more than just an album. The live shows (I'm looking more forward to a potential movie of the Earls Court shows) and the movie completed the picture in a way the album alone doesn't. It has some great songs and is a perfect narrative, but if I'm honest with myself it doesn't rate with Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here (or even the albums leading up to those two) for me personally.

Gonna be very honest here and say I'm not as chomping on the bit about this one as everyone else rightfully is. Atom Heart Mother, Meddle and to a somewhat lesser degree Animals are the ones I'd like to see more. The Wall is something I have to rate as something more than just an album. The live shows (I'm looking more forward to a potential movie of the Earls Court shows) and the movie completed the picture in a way the album alone doesn't. It has some great songs and is a perfect narrative, but if I'm honest with myself it doesn't rate with Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here (or even the albums leading up to those two) for me personally.

All of the other albums you mentioned (like "Meddle" and "Animals") would also be great in 5.1 surround, but the whole reason this was started was because they released the Immersion box set without a surround mix, a high-res stereo mix, and a Blu-Ray disc altogether like the other two Immersion sets for "Dark Side" and "Wish You Were Here".
Plus, it's still the most likely Pink Floyd album to get a surround mix given its commercial and critical status amongst most fans in their whole body of work.

Yeah, they can pick back up with the high def releases. Stopping after only two was brutal.

The cleaned up copy of the UK Q8 that I listen to for AHM sounds pretty good actually (if I do say so myself :D) but they need to give up that unreleased quad of Meddle and the entire catalog of stereo and mono mixes in HD. At least that (and of course the master quad of AHM). I don't care if there are new 5.1 mixes. The 3 originals they released are unique masterpieces that need no improvement any more than the stereo mixes do. Unless someone was wanting to approach that with a real hunger for the project (at a level that we've only recently seen with certain other bands), they should just leave it alone anyway.

We need more details on his mix & release of The Wall!!!:music

Allow me to quote J.G:

"In addition to The Wall, I want to do Animals and The Final Cut. The very early work that was recorded on 4-track would be tricky,..."

:banana: :banana: :banana:

These three are what I'd love next. :smokin

Lots of old timers(no offense meant) have expressed interest in the older stuff, but allow me to paraphrase & expand upon Mr. Guthrie: trying to remix off a 4 track(which would have many generation bounce downs on it already.:mad:) is alarmingly limiting since hiss is locked in and one can not access individual tracks. Yes, technical miracles can be done, but still the finished remix is nowhere new as dynamic and "fresh" sounding as even an 8 track source. Its 16 tracks or more baby!!!

I fully suppose:)@@:) that a pro project with the likes of Mr. Guthrie or even SW with Steven's ultra affordable mixing rates, all the stuff that we are gonna get remixed is
from a 16 track or more source.

Horrors! I just realized I am a total 16 or more track remix project snob. :confused:

Maybe because it sounds so good??? :music :smokin (y)

Last edited:
Back