Blu-rays - UNBOXED! Get 'em while they're hot...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr. simple

Not really a doctor...
QQ Supporter
I would like this thread to be for any blu-ray that was only available in a box set that comes up on ebay as a stand-alone disc for considerably less.

Here are a couple starters:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pink-Floyd-Dark-Side-Moon-IMMERSION-BLU-RAY-4-0-5-1-SURROUND-NEW-disc-5-/150727097772?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item231808fdac

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PINK-FLOYD-Dark-Side-Moon-BLU-RAY-Immersion-Disc-5-5-1-Surround-NEW-/290646666162?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item43abe42bb2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pink-Floyd-Dark-Side-Moon-Immersion-BLU-RAY-DISC-5-5-1-Surround-New-/330660369768?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item4cfce4d568

I got mine for $49.99, shipped. I thought I got a pretty good deal, but if this keeps up, they could get cheaper!

I guess in my own selfish way I'd like to know if any of you end up taking advantage of these offers... and for what it's worth, I am NOT one of the sellers and I don't KNOW the sellers... I'm just trying to help out my four-eared friends!

hm, i thought you're started initiative directed to the labels.
instead saw initiative, summarised in sentence "i did punish the label by purchasing secondhand item".
sorry, can't help. don't have eBay account and generaly speaking in such case would prefer to punish
the labels by the freely shared resources on internet.

I just did that with the Tom Petty Anthology Live Blu-Ray disc... got it for $29.95 as a single disc.
Too bad the labels didn't think of doing this.

-B

hm, i thought you're started initiative directed to the labels.
instead saw initiative, summarised in sentence "i did punish the label by purchasing secondhand item".
sorry, can't help. don't have eBay account and generaly speaking in such case would prefer to punish
the labels by the freely shared resources on internet.

I honestly don't have a dog in the fight, but I do have to agree with Otto here. So much time and bandwidth here spent on wanting to make sure surround releases get every sale possible (including the whole Chicago file sharing fiasco), that there is a slight double-standard being implemented here. I honestly am completely fine with it, so please don't take this the wrong way at all, but it was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread pop up.

"Punishing the labels"? They don't care.

Here's the deal, and I've said it before.

These boxes are created for die-hard, wacky fans of an artist. These are going to be created by the artist and the label to make money and to make the artist happy. The fact that there may be a surround version in the box is NOT THE REASON FOR THE BOX!!!

It may sound crazy, but if not for the "Large Box Project", these surround mixes may never have appeared because the labels do not want to release them stand alone because they believe that no one wants them.

So, the real point is this. Would you rather see the $100 box show up for the die-hard fan without the surround disc, or the $100 box show up with the surround disc?

If a fan who does not do surround sells the disc to offset the price of the box, then that's a good deal for "Surround Fan".

I think some of you guys are looking at this the wrong way. Sure it would be nice to be able to buy the surround discs on their own, but the labels don't want to do that. I for one would rather have deluxe boxes with surround mixes in them, the more the merrier.

If they are expensive, well, we can be resourceful. Ya know? :phones

So much time and bandwidth here spent on wanting to make sure surround releases get every sale possible (including the whole Chicago file sharing fiasco), that there is a slight double-standard being implemented here.

Well, I certainly don't mean it that way, and I certainly don't want this thread to offend anyone. As far as I'm concerned, it's like buying a six pack and selling one of the cans to your buddy. If the general consensus is negative, please Jon, take it down!

Well, I certainly don't mean it that way, and I certainly don't want this thread to offend anyone. As far as I'm concerned, it's like buying a six pack and selling one of the cans to your buddy. If the general consensus is negative, please Jon, take it down!

Not negative at all. And with regard to the "Chicago Issue", it's not an issue, it's a fact. We got the word straight from the engineer who mastered the disc right here in QQ.

I don't get what all the discussion here is about. If somebody owns something they can sell it on ebay. It happens all the time. Dr Simple was just pointing us to some auctions where owners of boxsets are selling the surround disc. What's the big deal? Is there something else? I don't see it.

You know, you'd hope the labels would see sales that they are missing out on and make the smart business decision of making the surround mixes available without having to buy the box. Basically, there's demand for something, and if the labels won't provide the product their is demand for, that leaves the door wide open for someone else to. They need to get with it and release the product, or someone will find a way to fill the void and they'll lose the sales.

You know, you'd hope the labels would see sales that they are missing out on and make the smart business decision of making the surround mixes available without having to buy the box. Basically, there's demand for something, and if the labels won't provide the product their is demand for, that leaves the door wide open for someone else to. They need to get with it and release the product, or someone will find a way to fill the void and they'll lose the sales.

Agree 100%.
Another thought is how can you clone Steven Wilson's business sense besides his amazing musical/production talents.
Steven seems to have it figured out.
He releases a set amount of boxes that his die hard fan's will gobble up(big box with extra book etc) but then he also sells individual cd\dvd\bluray for the fan's that just want the music. Everyone wins in this and products get sold.
Whoever is still left working for the big labels seem to be clueless or they don't have the power to make common sense decisions.

peter

I don't get what all the discussion here is about. If somebody owns something they can sell it on ebay. It happens all the time. Dr Simple was just pointing us to some auctions where owners of boxsets are selling the surround disc. What's the big deal? Is there something else? I don't see it.

same here. ebay has all that and more. there will always be some one selling them

ebay has all that and more. there will always be some one selling them

nothing wrong with eBay as long as one is looking the way to sell something to make few extra bucks and
another is willing to give his/her money for it.
but how does it helps to have more purchasing choices? only things that eBay doing is stir up speculation and prices.
i'm pretty sure current retail prices for boxes are based on those eBay's battles. production of the 30-40 years old titles,
which recouped their initial cost probably 1000 times during of those years, doesn't make any justification to how labels sells it.
sadly our community, perhaps biggest community of the loyal consumers and supporters of surround formats, does nothing,
beside begging for anything in any possible crappy quality for which we're willing to pay top bucks. it just disgusting, particularly
with the fact that the initiative started by wavelength to release Aqualung surround in lossless was succesfull and proved that
our voice was heard. i just can't get why do we, being united by our passion, cannot get together to bring our points to those
who's supply the market, instead of letting to prevail mentality "dog eat dog"

How about doing the opposite and selling the box minus the Blu-ray. How much could I expect to get?

How about doing the opposite and selling the box minus the Blu-ray. How much could I expect to get?

I think that is far more common and you should be able to find some sales to get an idea. I looked at doing that but the box minus Blu-ray wasn't selling for enough that I was willing to buy any of these expensive sets so I never followed up. Just search eBay for the specific sets you are interested in.

Back