Multichannel File Server Options

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scratch17

Jon, since the music file server parts of this thread are seriously off topic, I think the best thing to do is to start a new thread. There seems to be interest in this topic, so I will do that now.

I believe that there ought to be a separate thread for file server types, and another for file conversion / hard disc creation software. I will start with the topic Music File Servers, and then add a new topic called File Conversion and Hard Disc Creation.

I am by no means an expert in either of these areas. My experience in this area goes back the five months that I've owned the OPPO BDP-93. In terms of practical use, my knowledge is also mostly limited to that platform, and using computer based music servers such as iTunes and Monkey.

However, I have done some research on the net and Safari books Online, that has increased my knowledge in these areas. Out of necessity, I've needed to learn how to convert files from different formats. I have also learned about "gotcha's" such as the inability to do "gapless playback" that can be annoyances with one format, that aren't present with other formats.

I suggest a community effort among forum members to create a knowledge base that is valid, and offers a range of options from computer-only servers to standalone systems (with or without disc playback). Other options such as where the files are stored and how they are streamed to the server should be discussed and evaluated, with pros and cons.

For any music lover, regardless of your level of computer literacy , music file servers should be on your radar. This technology is in its early infancy and is already becoming very user friendly. If you can use a smart phone with a built-in music player, you can handle a music file server.

Steven

OK. My bad. I guess it's up to Jon to create a new thread with a new topic.

So for now, I'll answer some of the questions posed in this thread.

Otto asked:

WHO'S WOULD BE WILLING TO GO INTO FINANCIAL SPENDING
BY REMIXING TITLES INTO SURROUND and for what reason?

The first reason is to make a profit. Any record company that wants to re-sell music that they've sold repeatedly in the past should consider doing so. Whether such a project is economically viable would depend on many factors.

It is a fact that the cost of releasing as a digital download versus releasing on a physical medium, with its attendant distribution and shipping costs, leaves a far greater margin to make a profit. So the second reason is that it may only be possible to make a profit by eliminating the costs associated with releasing on a physical medium.

It used to be that the physical medium made the files more secure from copy-write violation. With freely available ripping software that is no longer the case.

Apple's virtual take-over of the music retailing business with the iTunes store (with Amazon and Walmart jumping onto the business) is direct evidence that even the most conservative of record companies are embracing this distribution method.

Otto's second point was:

not really big issue for us here but you have missed MAJORITY, who wouldn't bother themselves by learning
about formats and conversions. yes, this will work for small niche which perhaps not represent even 5% of potential
consumers base.

Otto, I agree that most consumers will not want to learn how to convert files from one format to another. In fact, I doubt even 1% of users will be willing to do so.

However, I don't believe this is relevant. Here's why.

The one box hardware music file server system as a consumer electronics category is in its very early infancy.

As the technology and user acceptance of this new music playback system matures, legacy features, such as optical disc playback capability, will become less desirable. Dropping the optical drive will leave more money for designers to add the more desirable feature - wider file format support and added memory to add additional functionality. You are already seeing this trend.

True, programmers are constantly adding new file formats and releasing new versions of the existing ones. It seems we are back to the old chicken and egg issues that always plays out with new technology.

Or are we?

There is one huge difference here. A music file server is simply a computer dedicated to that task. That makes it upgradeable via firmware updates. That's how OPPO shocked everyone when they added DVD-Audio, DVD video and Blu Ray .iso file support.

With upgradeable file format support, the crazy fast changing file format world will not be a big impediment. By the way, my OPPO came with a wireless network USB dongle that immediately found the latest firmware and installed it in a few minutes.

I must agree that there is no one platform that I know of that can play all file formats. That includes a totally computer based software package.

Bottom line : most of the platforms do cover most major file formats, so file conversion is only required for hard core users.

As for your third question Otto, I have done no such research.

I again think you are missing the point. There are multiple media file server platforms on the market. Some are hardware standalone. Some have optical disc playback, some don't. Some are platform independent, based solely on software. Even mainstream inexpensive receivers are now getting media playback features.

Market penetration of OPPO is irrelevant when you consider the myriad of options available.

Finally Otto, I see your point about how this new technology will put people out of work and make some businesses lose. But that is the way of the world.

Jon asked:

Do you have a USB stick plugged into the 93 or is there enough internal RAM in it.

No. I have two multiple bay USB 2.0 enclosures attached, with six drives of varying size. My total formatted storage space is about six Terabytes. And I am running out of space.

I have about 1.2 Terabyte filled with DVD-Audio titles. Some of these titles are as small as 1.5 Gigabytes. Some are as big as 8 Gigabytes. Overall I have a little over 200 of these titles.

I have another 150 titles converted from quad reels, CD4's, Q8's, SQ and QS LP's to DVD-Audio iso files. This takes another 800 GB of space. I still have at least another 200 titles to convert.

I have about 2 TB of Blu Ray concerts and movies. A typical Blu Ray takes between 20 and 40 GB of space. I have another 40 titles waiting for conversion.

I have no standard definition DVDs converted yet. I do have about 100 concert DVDs I will convert when I get the time.

I have about 800 GB of FLAC , WAV and Apple Lossless files. Space requirements for each title depends on bit depth and sample rate. I have over 600 Cd's and about 800 LP's to convert.

I also have over 130 SACDs that I will convert to DVD-Audio iso files. I expect these titles to take another Terabyte at least. I've only done one test conversion so far, but the results were excellent.

No, I cannot rip a digital copy of a multichannel SACD. (I think this is being claimed as possible now, however, using software). I do know that there is a method to digitally rip stereo SACD that is widely published on the net. This involves using an HDMI to SPDIF converter.

OPPO says they will not likely offer SACD iso file support. In the past they said they would never add iso support for DVD-Audio, DVD or Blu Ray. They offer it now.

At this point, I use the analog outputs on my OPPO as a source, convert to digital 24/96 PCM using my MOTU Traveler audio interface and record as WAV files. After creating a DVD-Audio iso file from the WAV files, I can hear only a very slight difference that I am willing to live with for most listening. Considering the convenience and the really tiny sound quality difference, I'm willing to accept this tradeoff. When I want the best possible playback, I grab the original SACD and pop it into the player.

In the long run, I expect that the package that encloses media will disappear. As that starts to come to pass, I'll sell my SACDs and buy the multichannel files.

Brian Moura asked:

I wonder if the Oppo can also play ISOs stored on a Windows Home Server 2011 box.

As far as I know at this point, the only .iso support is through directly attached storage via USB or eSATA. Music file formats such as FLAC, WAV, etc., can be streamed from a NAS, though I've had no reason to try it. Those on the OPPO AVS forums report no issues with this other than the usual networking hassles.

kvsawilson said:

Same menus, same sound. It's awesome.

That just about sums it up.

Steven

OK. My bad. I guess it's up to Jon to create a new thread with a new topic.

Steven

Steven, thanks very much for your extremely interesting posts.

Definitely looking forward to this new thread/topic.

I've subscribed to this one in hopes the link to the new one will at least be posted here if/when it's created.

I copied these posts from another thread. They like it better here! :)

On my Oppo 83 I use a USB drive. However it doesn't support ISO files and doesn't support hi rez .mkv files :(.

I also doesn't support more modern USB drives... my newer 1TB drives do not work...even when reformatted to FAT32.

To play Hi-rez off disc I create A Blu-ray disc structure (using Audiomuxer) which can be played when renamed to AVCHD. Refer to this thread...
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...5254-BD-A-burned-to-a-DVD&p=139091#post139091

I've even experimented with putting lyrics on the screen in the still picture - anyone tried this?

See below:

Attachments

• Psycho (600 x 337).jpg
    Psycho (600 x 337).jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 513
On my Oppo 83 I use a USB drive. However it doesn't support ISO files and doesn't support hi rez .mkv files :(.

I also doesn't support more modern USB drives... my newer 1TB drives do not work...even when reformatted to FAT32.

To play Hi-rez off disc I create A Blu-ray disc structure (using Audiomuxer) which can be played when renamed to AVCHD. Refer to this thread...
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...5254-BD-A-burned-to-a-DVD&p=139091#post139091

I've even experimented with putting lyrics on the screen in the still picture - anyone tried this?

See below:
Sure. It's easy enough to do. You can use pics and have them change with every song. If you're doing wide screen it's best to resize the pics accordingly and change the pixel aspect ratio for best viewing , just like you would for DVDA.

Thanks for starting the thread, Jon.

There are two main categories of media server at this point in the state of the technology.

1. Standalone hardware with embedded software. Output: digital and/or analog audio.
  2. General computer hardware running software package(s). Output: both audio and network stream.

There are real differences (and subsequent pros and cons) between these categories. However, ultimately both of these platforms are actually computers, running a software package called a server that is designed for media file playback. From here on, I will refer to category one as 'fixed function' and category two as 'general purpose'.

It is important to keep in mind, however, that both are actually computers.

Just what is a 'server'? A server is actually a software program that runs on a computer. It is not a computer. Unfortunately, the term server has often been used to refer to a computer in another location.

Your computer's web browser is a server that is running on your local computer. It accesses web pages on computers running web server software somewhere else in the world, feeding your browser the actually data composing the web page.

The location of the computer that the server software runs on is only relevant to the way the server software is designed to be implemented. It can be run on a computer that resides in the same room as the user. A user listening on an iPod, playing a song on iTunes is an example of a server operating on a local computer. Yes, an iPod is a computer and iTunes is actually a media server. This is an example of the 'fixed function' category.

A server can also be run on a computer that is on the other side of the planet. An internet connected computer playing internet radio is an example of this.

Before we leave this basic discussion of severs, let's describe what a media server software package does. Regardless of platform category, all media severs must have the following functionality.

Functions:

• Recognize the location of secondary storage. This includes recognizing when storage has been added to the system. Ascertaining the availability of storage space is also a requirement.
  • Add media. In computer terms, this means accessing a database to add a new item, then open a newly created file and write it to secondary storage. On a total one-box standalone system with built in secondary storage, the database is proprietary and part of the server software. If secondary storage is on external hard disk, it is usually the NTFS file system.
  • Read and play the media. In computer terms this means it must locate the file, and stream the contents of the file to the specified output in the correct file format. That output format could be digital audio (PCM) for direct distribution to an audio system. It could also be in a streaming media file format such as WAV, FLAC, MKV, etc. for distribution over a network.
  • Provide a user interface that gives the user the ability to add media, and then find and play that media.

With the basics covered, let us look at a general description of each platform category.

Standalone Hardware with Embedded Software.

Output: direct audio (either analog, digital or both).

This is the one stop shop of media file servers. It comes with all of the hardware that you need (with the possible exception of storage for your media).
Some of these devices come with on-board secondary storage, some do not. Either way, it also comes with the server software embedded in its memory. You select a unit that (hopefully) has all of the functionality that you want, buy it and connect it to your audio system.

This is still a computer, but it is designed with very specific function in mind. The computer's software is embedded into non-volatile on-board memory (NVRAM). The advantage to this approach is that such software is written in a very low level language, such as C, assembly, or a combination of the two. These languages run very fast (when compared to high level languages used to write most media servers written for general purpose computers). Also, the user interface (which is largely what the software implements) is very fast since it is already loaded in memory. On a general purpose computer platform, the server software must be retrieved from secondary storage, then loaded into RAM. Only then, can it respond to a request to play media.

That does not mean that file access is faster on a 'standalone' platform than on a 'computer' based platform. Media files are often humongous, and are stored on hard disk drives in both cases.

Media file storage and access times depend on the speed of these disks (and to a degree on how they are interfaced with the computer) regardless of the category of media file server ('fixed function' or 'general purpose' based).

Note that the system here is also essentially a closed one. Functional addition may be possible through firmware updates, but are limited due to the fixed amount of on-board memory. When OPPO added .iso file support to the BDP -93, (for DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, and Blu Ray), it was through a firmware update. The term 'firmware' refers to the fact that software that is already loaded (embedded) in non-volitile memory is being updated.

Note the large difference between computers that store all of their application software in embedded memory (NVRAM), and computers which store software on secondary storage (hard disks, or SSDs). I know of no standalone media server that has a way to add memory. So space for a larger server program that adds function has a limit on standalone hardware. Since the server software resides in secondary storage on a 'general purpose' platform, there is virtually unlimited space available to add functions to the server program.

Also, there may be functional limits due to hardware design on a standalone platform. For example, The as LizardKing points out, the OPPO BDP-83 has hardware limitations with USB drives. While a general purpose platform can have hardware limitations, most computers can have hardware upgraded easily.

Computer Hardware Running Software Package(s)

Required Hardware: Any computer running any Operating System that has at least an analog or digital audio output.

Optional Hardware: A computer to audio system interface. A wired or wireless based network capable AVR or preamp/processor. A smartphone that has an available app to control playback.

Software: Any software package (or multiple packages) that can run on your OS to play media files.

Software Categories: 1. Streaming (DNLA 1.5) file server. 2. Computer Media File Playback Server. 3. File conversion software.

General description:

This is the most open platform which could, at least in theory, have the greatest functional capabilities as a media server. It also has much less limitation as to the ability to add secondary storage.

For example, the OPPO BDP-93 (as of now) does not support hard drives larger than 2 TB. A general purpose computer running a modern OS has no such limitation.

Furthermore, a general purpose computer can usually have a greater number of locally attached secondary storage disks than a standalone hardware unit. Again, citing the OPPO BDP-93, there are two USB inputs and one eSata input for directly adding storage. The USB or the eSata interfaces can be used, but not simultaneously. Some users have reported the ability to add powered USB hubs to add drives to the BDP-93, but the more drives you add, the longer it takes the OPPO to 'see' the drives. Adding a hub increases this time as well. My Macbook Pro also has only two USB ports, but it also has a Firewire port and a Thunderbolt port. So I could add many more drives to it than I could add to the OPPO.

Note that I am referring to directly attached secondary storage, as opposed to Network Attached Storage (NAS). Both the OPPO and a general purpose computer can access NAS drives. However, NAS immediately adds another level of complexity. Also, some servers cannot support some file formats when accessed over a network. Again, this is one of the limitations of the OPPO BDP-93. It can't accept .iso files streamed over a network. A general purpose computer has no such limitation, assuming the file server running on it can read the file.

Paradoxically this configuration is both the most daunting platform to create and use, yet it may be where a newbie should start in his or her quest to learn about media file servers.

At this point, I need to make a quick disclaimer: I feel it important to show that I have computer and audio chops. I am not trying to brag, nor am I seeking employment. I want to give a little context to my experience, opinion and point of view. That's all.

I have a background in software quality assurance (at Kodak) and technical support (Apple and GTE), and am about to complete an Associate's degree (AAS) in programming Java, C++, with a database programming certificate. My GPA is 4.0 . I also have a one room recording studio, with over 30 years of pro audio experience as a semi professional engineer.

I have found learning how to create a multiple function media server on a general service computer to be a real PITA.

Why? You must first decide between the myriad software options. Then, once you get a package installed and working, you realize that there are more functions than you want (or need) to learn how to use. More frustrating, is that often you can't figure out why a needed function doesn't work for you.

Then the server version changes. You check the list of changes in the new release. Maybe there is a bug fix that solves your earlier problem, so you install the update. If you are lucky, the fix works. Then you find out that something that was working has just broken. It can be absolutely maddening.

Let's say everything goes hunky-dory and everything you want from your server works as it should.

But now you want to add support for additional file formats which are not supported in your present server. Adding a second media server can have unintended operational consequences. For example, both servers want to be the default program for specific file formats that they support. Watch out, there is inevitably duplication! Sometimes you can get both to work with only the files you want, but sometimes low level files get messed up and for one of these file formats the default program's low level file gets trashed. Now neither server works without some real attention.

At the very least, if you chooses the open system path, expect to spend a lot of time pursuing this goal. Have patience. Do some research. Get to know one software server. Learn to use it thoroughly before adding a second.

Do not think I am totally against this approach. It simply has a steep learning curve.

So why on earth would I suggest anyone might want to start his or her quest for a media server on this platform? Actually, I tried this approach first, and was really frustrated. So why have I not changed my mind?

• I think it is the best way to really learn about the different media file formats.
  • Media on the internet is available in many different file formats. You can't simply limit yourself to one or two formats without limiting the downloadable music that is available to you.
  • If you learn about how to work a media server, and understand the details of file format differences, learning file conversion software is much more easy.
  • You will need some general purpose computer skills to arrange the files on your hard drive so that you can find specific music you want to play.
  • Much downloaded media comes compressed. You need to learn the software to expand files compressed in .rar format (for example).

So let's say you decide to buy a Pioneer Elite N-50 standalone hardware media server. Here's a link to a description.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/pioneer-n-50-elite-networked-audio-player

It has no on-board media storage. Its function is simply as a file input/read/output to audio device. It can input media from a network via computer. Or it can take a USB storage device. But you still have to organize the media in files and folders, so you need a computer and some basic skills. Note also that it has limited file format support. In fact the list of supported file formats is really short. So if you buy this device, you better learn how to use file format conversion software.

Check my list. Even though the N-50 is relatively easy to use, you still need a computer and many of the skills that are listed above to get the most out of it.

Actually, starting with either approach leads directly to both approaches. I now use my OPPO exclusively as my media playback server, but I do all of my file structure work, file conversion work (mostly for video, not audio), and media addition on my Macbook Pro.

By the way, this has practical implications that I did not appreciate as a newbie when I first got the OPPO. The OPPO was inside my audio system cabinet. So accessing the rear USB input was not fun. I use a two bay enclosure which came with a mini-USB terminal on one end, and a standard USB terminal on the other. The cable was short, and I wanted the enclosure on the ground behind the audio system cabinet where its fans would not be audible.

When I wanted to add some new files, I had to unplug everything and move over to the Mac in the other room. Buying a longer cable so I could move the enclosure to where it was easier to access would cost $50. So I lived with the hassle. Now I've filled the drives in this enclosure, and I've bought a 4 bay enclosure with a standard USB cable. It is quieter and much easier to move back and forth from room to room.

This also brings up a practical advantage to streaming over a network. Drives and their enclosures can be located in a closet where noise is no issue.

If you plan to do this, use a network bridge to add drives. Connect your computer, modem and router to the bridge as well. Do not connect the drives directly to the router. I am only barely competent when it comes to basic networking, but this is advice I received from fellow students that were networking gurus.

I will be adding a wired ethernet output from my bridge to my OPPO soon, to test some of the streaming capabilities of my OPPO. I'll report on the results when there is news.

So far, I have only discussed some of the topics listed above; most in very general terms. I have not, for example discussed much of anything about what file formats there are, which software packages I've used and would recommend, or anything about what audio hardware one might want to add to interface between a general purpose computer and your audio system. Nor have I made any reference to the implications of music file servers for quadraphonics or other mulch-channel audio formats. (LOL: my spell checker says it should be quadrophonics!)

I also haven't gone into which OS I'd choose, or why I'd choose one over another as an OS for my media server. The simple answer is: choose a single OS based on what you already have to start with. Note that any modern computer can run multiple operating systems under programs such as Virtual Box and Parallels.

I will post more on these topics if there is further interest in them.

Finally, I have discussed a lot, and posited some opinions. If anyone finds inaccuracy in the information, please say so. I'm no expert. I make mistakes, and can be misinformed. Much that I have learned on this subject came from the net, so I expect some info may be incorrect.

Also, by all means, feel free to disagree with my opinions. I share them only as I've had a lot of experience in audio. They are by no means definitive. I look forward to hearing from other members as they also opine on this sbject.

Steven.

I can't find immediate fault with your posting. Maybe it would be useful to include transcoding in your discussion about media servers and DNLA. That is, a media player may or may not accept a particular file format, and the media server may have the capability to transcode to a format the media player "likes". An example might be that you have flac encoded files, but the media player only likes lpcm.
In this case the media server would transcode to lpcm, a format the media player accepts.
A practical example would be that my Oppo BDP-80 will not accept flac from a media server, but if I used the Foobar media player with the upnp component to first transcode flac to lpcm "on the fly" and make both devices (pc with Foobar & Oppo) available over my network then the Oppo can play the transcoded flac.

Note I'm talking about media player capabilities as relates to media servers (software) and not from storage.

FYI I use iTunes as my media server for 44.1 DTS encoded files (44.1 is the only sample rate supported). I have a guide for this here: http://www.surroundbyus.com/sbu/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=154

Basically you use apple's lossles codec to encode the dts wave or flac and add tags/artwork as you would any other iTunes song. Then you use AirPlay (if you're on windows, or a digital out on a mac) to stream to an Apple AirPort express, and make an optical connection from there to your HT.

I also have an appleTV2, and you can do similar for 48Khz surround with that, encoding the audio as a movie using audiomuxer, etc. and putting the movie in iTunes.

I keep my itunes library synced between home, work, and car, and listen to my DTS surround library in all 3 locations.

One additional caveat is your HT may get confused if you have stereo and DTS content in the same iTunes lib. I get around that by using separate libraries (hold down shift key while launching iTunes).

This is a great thread. I have to "sticky" it!

Thanks to all

Boondocks, I have downloaded Foobar, but haven't had time to use it yet. A quick perusal shows it to be a multifaceted application that can take all kinds of media file types as input, and then output a different file format (transcoding). I was unaware that it could do on-the-fly transcoding. That is impressive.

Zeerround, I didn't realize that iTunes could do DTS.

May I suggest that we use this thread to point to guides for specific tasks, such as that referred to by Zeerround.

Steven.

There is a lot of information about media servers posted by Oppo owners here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1215071
Quite a large thread but some useful information. Basically if you are using a pc with a media server application, you need to make available formats your media player (in this case, Oppo) can handle.
The formats the newer (BDP-93) Oppo's will handle without transcoding are much improved over earlier models.

Thanks Steven, great information and nicely written

I have built two computers or configured two PCs to host JRiver media servers with bit-transparent output. I find it useful to cue up a DTS release as a file to determin if I have correctly configured the settings as if not i would not get proper decode and the DTS material will be pure white snow.

I went with an old Dell computer with 2g of memory. A $12.99 tosLink output card, as sound quality is not what it is about at that stage, just bit perfect digital out. Then an old version of JRiver and three 2tb "Elements" Western Digital drives of Flac files I have made from my CD collection over the last three years.

I ran this into my Onkyo receiver's optical digital input and presto a Server system on nearly a zero budget.

I wanted to spend virtually nothing thus put everything into a good DAC once I had the server doing its thing correctly.

I ran into problems of course but nothing I could not correct.

I'm thinking of exploring an Oppo player. and using it's internal DAC rather than an outboard DAC. As I don't own a BluRay player at the moment anyway.

Maybe this thread will pick up again and present more ideas.

Just wanted to bump this thread and post comments as well.

You'll also want to check out the Computer Audiophile forum. They have a lot of good information there about music servers, audiophile music downloads, software, drivers, etc.
Includes product reviews and a forum. Very comprehensive.
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/

Also, check information and reviews of the exaSound Multichannel DAC in the SACD Multichannel Forum here on QQ:

Sneak peak: 1st consumer one-box DAC for multichannel computer audio....to DSD256!! (Info & Review by Ted Bundy)
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...computer-audio-to-DSD256!!&highlight=exasound

Stereophile Review of exaSound e28 Multichannel DAC (Review by Kal Rubinson, Stereophile's Surround Sound Columnist)
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...Sound-e28-Multichannel-DAC&highlight=exasound

It is time I updated forum members about changes I have made with my music / media server setup.

I now use my Macbook Pro (2.0 Ghz , Core i7 quad core with 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5 Mountain Lion ) with Audirvana Plus 1.5.12 for SACD ISO, FLAC and DSD playback. I purchased a Thunderbolt / Displayport to HDMI converter for $20 and connected the MBP to my Marantz AV-8801 via an HDMI cable.

I can play almost any resolution and sample rate stereo and multichannel files and SACD ISO's. There is (to my ears) no difference between this and playback of physical media in my OPPO BD-93, also connected via HDMI.

I use the Audirvana user interface, which I really like.

The program interface has a graphic of a hardware player, upon which meta data from the music file (if it's included) is displayed. The player displays album name, source type, (SACD, DSD, FLAC) and source resolution. It also displays album art, if available. The song name and artist are also displayed. The playback DAC resolution and sample rate are also displayed. For CD resolution files, the sample rate stays the same, but the DAC operates at 24 bit resolution.

Note that that the company that makes Audirvana claims that its proprietary audio engine sounds better than Apple's Core Audio. I can't confirm this, but I can tell you music played through Audirvana sounds great through my system.

Also, if you wish, you can use the iTunes database that you already have to act as a front end for your music if you wish. The Audirvana software still acts as the audio playback engine. It disconnects (and replaces) the iTunes database from its built in engine.

I have 12 TB of dedicated music storage space (4 X three TB Seagate USB3 drives) connected to the MBP via a USB hub. There are only 3 USB 3 ports on the hub, but playback isn't affected on the drive connected to a USB 2 port.

Most modern Macs should be able to connect and pass HD audio (stereo and multichannel) to an HDMI input on a Receiver or preamp processor. I do, however, suggest that you check your specific Mac before you invest heavily in this setup. For some unknown reason, with the same DP to HDMI adapter connecting my iMac (3.4 Ghz quad core i7 with Thunderbolt) to my AV-8801 will not pass high resolution audio or multichannel audio.

If you are starting from scratch, and want to get a new Mac specifically for this purpose, I'd recommend trying the base model Mac Mini. It has HDMI built in.

Unfortunately, no Mac will pass high resolution audio when running Win 7 (either under Bootcamp or in Parallels). So I built myself a quad Core i5 Windows 7 desktop based system for Foobar (to play back DVD-Audio discs) and XMBC (for Blu Ray and DVD ).

I ended up spending about $1000 for the build, because I wanted to have a rock solid, stable platform. I also splurged on a 250 GB Samsung EVO 840 SSD for the boot drive. The $1000 was for the parts (case, power supply, RAM processor, MB, video card and boot drive) plus the Win 7 software.

It doesn't count spending for the 30+ TB of hard drives I've got internally and externally connected to the PC. Much of the storage is for Blu Ray movies. About a third is for DVD-Audio ISOs, Blu Ray and DVD concert discs and DVD-A ISO's of quadraphonic reels and CD-4s.

Foobar plays the DVD-Audio ISOs as well as the physical media would play in my OPPO. It can also play SACD ISOs and FLACs (among other types of files. So why not use it instead of Audirvana?

Because I rate its interface as a C minus. I can't get it to display any data other than the Album and artist name, plus the file resolution and sample rate.

I've read on the net that meta data can be added via cue sheets, but I can't get them to work. (I'd appreciate help doing this from anyone who could offer
help on the subject). Even if I could add the meta data, I still like the graphics and interface from Audirvana better. Of course, that's just my personal preference.

So when do I use my OPPO? Almost never. Audirvana blows it away for convenience, and the OPPO won't even play DSD based files.

Why not use it for DVD-Audio playback? I could, but I've had issues with boot sector corruption on USB drives connected to the OPPO. Intermittently, the drives become corrupted at start up or shutdown when connected to the OPPO.

I've not had these issues with drives connect to a PC or Mac. Also, by having the drives permanently connected to a computer, I can rip ISOs from physical media conveniently. I can also add FLACS or DSD files through file transfers to disc. You can't add media to drives connected to the OPPO. You still must connect the drive to a Mac or PC to do so.

The OPPO is also limited to about 18 TB of external storage ( 4 X 2TB per USB port, of which there are two, and one 2 TB drive connected via eSATA). Computers can have almost unlimited external storage. Nor are drives limited to 2 TB in size, as is the case with the OPPO. By the way, I excluse NAS here, as I and my tech buddies have found NAS connection to be slower than direct connection, even with 1000 base T ethernet.

Currently, my PC and MBP, with all of their discs are in the same room as my A/V system. I plan on moving these devices to a second room that is close enough (about 20 feet) to run HDMI cable and USB cables (terminated by USB dongle for the mice and keyboards I use to controll the computers).

Bottom line: I still love my OPPO, and I won't sell it, but I won't use it much either.

Steven.

I wish I had picked up a 95 when I had the chance, because of course you will be aware now that ISO support is gone and a distant memory, as is BDCMF folder playback - even as AVCHD.
This happened because the BDA threatened to take their license away if they did not comply as of course we all know that serial illegal downloaders all buy top of the range Oppo hardware to play it back on.

That aside, even though my 105 is performing nicely over the network, and now works with NTFS formatted drives and has an ethernet connection directly to my router, and also hanging off the router is a network WD 3 TB storage device where I have all my HD Stereo stashed in FLAC - although a word of warning as current formware does not read FLAC tag track number, so displays everything in alphabetical order unless you go into a tag editor & remove the title tag, then it will pick up the track name instead.
The downsides? SACD-R gone by demand, ISO gone by demand, BD folder gone by demand. .dtshd native not supported, MLP Native not supported
Positives? DSD native, FLAC/Multichannel FLAC native (so time to rip the DVDA & FLAC them up), superb sound, Multiple inputs so can use as a DAC from external equipment too.

I use a Mac mini i7 Late 2012 for MC Flag files created from my own DVD-Audio discs.
Use Audirvana+ 1.5.10 in Playlist mode and direct mode of Mac OS Mavericks.
These files sends via HDMI to my Denon Receiver 3808. It's sound much better than played with my Denon 1600 DVD-Audio player. I use full bassmanagement to my dual bass array with the HDMI stream. This was not possible with MC analog inputs. It's a great improvement in sound quality.

Also, check information and reviews of the exaSound Multichannel DAC in the SACD Multichannel Forum here on QQ:

Sneak peak: 1st consumer one-box DAC for multichannel computer audio....to DSD256!! (Info & Review by Ted Bundy)
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...computer-audio-to-DSD256!!&highlight=exasound

Stereophile Review of exaSound e28 Multichannel DAC (Review by Kal Rubinson, Stereophile's Surround Sound Columnist)
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...Sound-e28-Multichannel-DAC&highlight=exasound

It's Ted Brady, not Bundy, please.

If you are starting from scratch, and want to get a new Mac specifically for this purpose, I'd recommend trying the base model Mac Mini. It has HDMI built in.
Sure but can you get more than 24/96 out of it?

I ended up spending about $1000 for the build, because I wanted to have a rock solid, stable platform. I also splurged on a 250 GB Samsung EVO 840 SSD for the boot drive. The $1000 was for the parts (case, power supply, RAM processor, MB, video card and boot drive) plus the Win 7 software.

Foobar plays the DVD-Audio ISOs as well as the physical media would play in my OPPO. It can also play SACD ISOs and FLACs (among other types of files. So why not use it instead of Audirvana?

Because I rate its interface as a C minus. I can't get it to display any data other than the Album and artist name, plus the file resolution and sample rate.
Why not JRMC?

Back