too much good stuff in boxes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leevitalone1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
WYWH Tull Aqualung DSOTM It would seem the record companys think we are all rich? If put out on sigles this stuff would bring in more than the bullshit in the fucking box. We all go out and get singles, we all love this shit, but c'mon here! The collectables are nice, if you are really into the band, But the discs in the box should be offered seperate, a nice example is the Derek and the Dominos set, you can get it it as you want it!
Too much fucking money to get to what you want! (rant, arrrrruuuuuugh) Choice!! options!!

I agree..... bought the DSOTM, so I guess I will be doing the ebay route for the rest (DSOTM seems to be most common so I guess I have shot myself in the foot)

WYWH Tull Aqualung DSOTM It would seem the record companys think we are all rich? If put out on sigles this stuff would bring in more than the bullshit in the fucking box. We all go out and get singles, we all love this shit, but c'mon here! The collectables are nice, if you are really into the band, But the discs in the box should be offered seperate, a nice example is the Derek and the Dominos set, you can get it it as you want it!
Too much fucking money to get to what you want! (rant, arrrrruuuuuugh) Choice!! options!!

When was the Schiener mix of "Layla" available separately?

When was the Schiener mix of "Layla" available separately?

I don't think it was that mix but at amazon they have a selection and offer a choice of formats, letting the customer choose which product they want, from a b** set to a single cd/lp or whatever, that is the point. choice!

I don't think it was that mix but at amazon they have a selection and offer a choice of formats, letting the customer choose which product they want, from a b** set to a single cd/lp or whatever, that is the point. choice!

There's a MAJOR difference between the older and newer "Layla" mixes, with the older one being the one available on its own (am I right here?). While I've never heard the former, and find the Scheiner mix to be slightly overrated by fans, my understanding here is that you don't want the older one under any circumstances.

As I said before, these boxes are built for the "super-fan" of the group/artist. They are not made specifically for the surround fan. The fact that they add a surround mix or two to the box is a good thing, IMHO. There are a lot of these $100+ releases with no surround mix in them (U2, Springsteen, McCartney, PF-The Wall [Immersion], etc)

It does suck that they do not offer the surround versions as a stand alone product, but the alternative of having a $100+ box without a surround mix as opposed to a $100+ box with a surround mix is just as bad.

At least with the surround mix in the box, you could buy the box and sell everything besides the surround disc to the hard core fan who doesn't care about surround.

It would seem the record companys think we are all rich?
In answer to this, I could write a snarky message with veiled references to certain gatherings in parks in major cities and modern day kings & serfs, but this isn't a political forum so never mind. :smokin

I will say though that the decision to add surround mixes - expensive mixes - to boxes where the vast majority of purchasers will very probably have no clue what surround music is all about is a strange decision, but I finally stopped trying to figure why today's music industry does what it does. :(

In answer to this, I could write a snarky message with veiled references to certain gatherings in parks in major cities and modern day kings & serfs, but this isn't a political forum so never mind. :smokin
Just to be clear: I wasn't directing this comment at leevitalone1, but was actually alluding to the attitude among many corporations that only those with large amounts of income deserve to be catered to.

now back to the regularly scheduled thread!

As I said before, these boxes are built for the "super-fan" of the group/artist. They are not made specifically for the surround fan. The fact that they add a surround mix or two to the box is a good thing, IMHO. There are a lot of these $100+ releases with no surround mix in them (U2, Springsteen, McCartney, PF-The Wall [Immersion], etc)

It does suck that they do not offer the surround versions as a stand alone product, but the alternative of having a $100+ box without a surround mix as opposed to a $100+ box with a surround mix is just as bad.

At least with the surround mix in the box, you could buy the box and sell everything besides the surround disc to the hard core fan who doesn't care about surround.

I agree that this is a good way to look at it. I got so frustrated with all these expensive boxes, knowing there was some great mixes that I couldn't get. But with the way things are now, I'm happy with any surround that gets released. It's like the upcoming ELP releases- we could bitch that they aren't gonna be lossless or we could be happy to be getting these great albums in surround.

As far as the boxes go, sometimes a little patience pays off. They may release standalone br's after the boxes are gone. Also, wait long enough and you can find some good prices on the boxes. DSotM went down to like $62 for a while on amazon. I was able to get Aqualung for $80.

It can be very frustrating, but frustration seems to be part of our hobby. I had never heard of the E Power Biggs sacd before seeing the poll on this group. I was psyched after the reviews, went straight away to sa-cd.net and... $200!!! I've seen it used on amazon for less than half that, but still... Of course its unavailability makes me want it that much more, but what can you do?

It's like a lotta things in life, I can moan about what I want but don't have, or I can be happy for what I do have. I wish I was better at doing the latter...

Layla, Quadrophenia, Aqualung, Petty Live Anthology (deluxe Blu-Ray), DSOTM, and WYWH. Live at Leeds, Smile, Darkness on the Edge, Macca, Macca II, Band on the Run, Complete Miles on Columbia (71 discs), Bitches Brew 30th, Lennon Collection, Head, and Delaney & Bonnie Live are but a few of the boxes I got soaked for in the last year or so. I'm semi-boycotting the Wall, due to no 5.1 nix. Yes, I'm the ultimate sucker, although $350 U2 boxes have eluded me. I payed half that for the 71 disc Miles.

For over 40 years, I buy 'em when they're new and shop for the best price. One day, 9 years ago, I was perusing the hi-res section in Tower. (remember them?) This man asked if I had a player. "Yes, I'm addicted to these discs." Do you like classical? Yes, I do. He waltzed me over to the hi-res section in the classical room and showed me the Biggs SACD. I wouldn't have bought it. I owned lots of Biggs in 2ch & Quad until "Biggs Plays Joplin." I like Joplin and I like Biggs, but I HATED that album. So, I stopped "subscribing" to Biggs albums. I never owned the 4 Organs on SQ. Wow!! Ol' Ernest was in great form. I'm saddened this disc is down to $299 today. It was at $430.

I should seek that man out and thank him again. He told me about a local audiophile group he belongs to. I went to one meeting and they were way too snobby for me. I was laughed out of the meeting when I mentioned Dire Straits. Likely they thought I was stupid and perhaps had an Electrophonic quasi-Quad compact at home. I do own a lot of classical, perhaps over 500 incl Quad, LP, CD & SACD. Still, it's not my main focus. My SACD collection: http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7517/1
I had never heard of the E Power Biggs sacd before seeing the poll on this group. I was psyched after the reviews, went straight away to sa-cd.net and... $200!!! I've seen it used on amazon for less than half that, but still... Of course its unavailability makes me want it that much more, but what can you do?

Holy crap! What a collection! You have as many sacd's as I have plain ol redbook! And I assume you have quite a few more surround in dvd-a, quad LP, etc. I'm left wondering 1- what kind of system you listen to them on at home and 2- can I come spend a few weeks (or months) at your place immersed in all that immersive goodness? lol

Do you have pics of your collection and your set-up? Love to see that. I also wonder how do you choose what to listen to? Talk about analysis paralysis!

This stuff is like the circus. The sawdust gets in your veins. Gear and music has been a lifelong obsession. I bought my first record, a 78, at three. My first piece of hi-fi was a 7" Bell & Howell reel at 6, although a had a transistor and a tabletop radio before that. My first Quad piece was Akai CR80-DSS Q8. Still have it. At 4, my best friend's Dad had a juke box business. We had our faves loaded into one.

Spouses, partners, close friends and family are the only house guests. Even some of those get to be a pain after a while. Had only one spouse for 20 years.

DVD-A's number over 100. Total surround/Quad titles near 1000. No, I'm not including 2ch SACD. Total collection has its' own room and nears 20,000. A few hundred are autographed. Over 500 DVD-V's. Only a handful are movies. Over 100 music Blu-Rays.

Gear: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/member.php?6089-Quad-Linda&tab=aboutme&simple=1 It may be a bit hard to follow, since the equipment list is by category, rather than by system. Main system is B&K separates w/Panasonic Plasma. A wall 20' wide x 6' high and numbers 30 pieces. Three systems do 5.1 & Quad. One does 5.1 only. One does Quad only. What's 2ch? double mono? lol! Sorry, no pix. I've never been one for pix. Perhaps one day I'll post some.

I worked for CBS and was in the hi-fi business for many years. So, I received many promo LP's/CD's and most gear was either free or drastically reduced. I estimate attending over 1000 concerts. Have met many musicians. No, I'm not a groupie.

Choosing what to listen to is mostly predicated by new purchases, and always has been. If I live to 100 and listen 24/7, I'll never hear everything once more. It IS a fetish. Most times, it's difficult to decide. So much good stuff. Like any other woman, I ocassionally get fickle and feel there's nothing I want to listen to!

I've realized that I AM out of my mind. Oh, well. Is this bragging or gushing about my lifelong obsession? You decide.

Holy crap! What a collection! You have as many sacd's as I have plain ol redbook! And I assume you have quite a few more surround in dvd-a, quad LP, etc. I'm left wondering 1- what kind of system you listen to them on at home and 2- can I come spend a few weeks (or months) at your place immersed in all that immersive goodness? lol

Do you have pics of your collection and your set-up? Love to see that. I also wonder how do you choose what to listen to? Talk about analysis paralysis!

This stuff is like the circus. The sawdust gets in your veins. Gear and music has been a lifelong obsession. I bought my first record, a 78, at three. My first piece of hi-fi was a 7" Bell & Howell reel at 6, although a had a transistor and a tabletop radio before that. My first Quad piece was Akai CR80-DSS Q8. Still have it. At 4, my best friend's Dad had a juke box business. We had our faves loaded into one.

Spouses, partners, close friends and family are the only house guests. Even some of those get to be a pain after a while. Had only one spouse for 20 years.

DVD-A's number over 100. Total surround/Quad titles near 1000. No, I'm not including 2ch SACD. Total collection has its' own room and nears 20,000. A few hundred are autographed. Over 500 DVD-V's. Only a handful are movies. Over 100 music Blu-Rays.

Gear: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/member.php?6089-Quad-Linda&tab=aboutme&simple=1 It may be a bit hard to follow, since the equipment list is by category, rather than by system. Main system is B&K separates w/Panasonic Plasma. A wall 20' wide x 6' high and numbers 30 pieces. Three systems do 5.1 & Quad. One does 5.1 only. One does Quad only. What's 2ch? double mono? lol! Sorry, no pix. I've never been one for pix. Perhaps one day I'll post some.

I worked for CBS and was in the hi-fi business for many years. So, I received many promo LP's/CD's and most gear was either free or drastically reduced. I estimate attending over 1000 concerts. Have met many musicians. No, I'm not a groupie.

Choosing what to listen to is mostly predicated by new purchases, and always has been. If I live to 100 and listen 24/7, I'll never hear everything once more. It IS a fetish. Most times, it's difficult to decide. So much good stuff. Like any other woman, I ocassionally get fickle and feel there's nothing I want to listen to!

I've realized that I AM out of my mind. Oh, well. Is this bragging or gushing about my lifelong obsession? You decide.

Can't be bragging when you're just answering questions I asked. That is really incredible. Don't know if I'd call it a fetish, just a passion. Maybe an obsession. Obsessive passion or passionate obsession! But it just seems like you've always been into music and have followed it to the extreme.

How did it start? Were your parents musicians? I can't believe you started at 3; I can't remember buying anything at 3- actually I can't remember being 3! I do remember what got me started in my love of music: repeated listens of Peter and the Wolf. Don't ask me what make of equipment, but it was one of those phonographs with everything- guess it had a little amp in there, and a speaker, all-in-one unit.

1000 concerts? Wow. I'm tempted to ask you to name your favorites, but that sounds like something good to start a thread about. I'll get the ball rolling on that. But all those shows and all that music and all that gear... How's your hearing? :yikes I'm guessing since you were in the biz that you learned to take care of your ears- did/do you use earplugs at concerts?

I hope you know I was just kidding about asking for an invite- not that I wouldn't love to play with your collection, but I'm sure you wouldn't have some stranger come to your house. I bet you've had some kick-ass parties.

As for pix, I hope some day you do post some. I mainly would like to see how you store that gargantuan collection. Great sound systems can be seen all over the place, but very few can be in your league as far as the software. You must need a large room that does nothing but hold all that music.

Thanks for sharing!

My parents weren't musical. They listened to some music, with little overlap. Mom liked jazz and bossa nova. Little did I know I would later be tutored by the fantastic Airto Moreira!! Dad loved big band & classical. But, oh those teenage aunts who lived upstairs until I was 4. Rock and Roll. My folks hated that shit!! Rebellious at 3!! Diggin Chuck Berry, Fats, Elvis, Johnny Otis, etc.

My first record was at 3, Cindy, oh Cindy by Vince Martin and the Tarriers w/Alan Arkin on a 78!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYGJvuserZQ
My second was at 4, House of Bamboo/Hawaiian Wedding Song by Andy Williams on Cadence 45 #1358. Hawaiian Wedding song seemed sappy, even though it was the A side. Believe it or not, House of Bamboo, the B side was a beatnick rocker!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4T5wGnoCzM I did come to appreciate Hawaiian.. as an adult. My friend Louie had his juke box Dad get one. It became his fave track, too. The one constant in "our jukebox." Yes, I bought Little Golden Records, Mickey Mouse and Chipmunks, but outgrew that at 9. Watched the first ABC network American Bandstand telecast.

There is a concert thread. I had season subscription to the Chicago Symphony for years, so that's a couple hundred. Several years of 5 acts a day at Jazzfest & Bluesfest for free! :banana: Memorable shows: several Miles shows, Laura Nyro, Herb Alpert, Santana, Eric Bibb, Swing Out Sister, Chicago, Weather Report, Zappa, Ray Charles, Steely Dan, Simon & Garfunkel.

My hearing is impaired, but only slightly. I'm sure the high end is diminished. I heard fairly flat to 19K when I was 19. I would usually excuse myself from sound rooms when clients wanted to crank, with implicit instructions, "you can't turn it up beyond x." Ours go to 11!

As much as I've always been a gearhead, the music is what it's all about. That's the #1 priority. Gear is simply a means to an end.

Sorry to have comandeered this thread! #54, the house with the bamboo door.

How did it start? Were your parents musicians? I can't believe you started at 3;

1000 concerts? Wow. I'm tempted to ask you to name your favorites, but that sounds like something good to start a thread about. I'll get the ball rolling on that. But all those shows and all that music and all that gear... How's your hearing? :yikes I'm guessing since you were in the biz that you learned to take care of your ears- did/do you use earplugs at concerts?

My parents weren't musical. They listened to some music, with little overlap. Mom liked jazz and bossa nova. Little did I know I would later be tutored by the fantastic Airto Moreira!! Dad loved big band & classical. But, oh those teenage aunts who lived upstairs until I was 4. Rock and Roll. My folks hated that shit!! Rebellious at 3!! Diggin Chuck Berry, Fats, Elvis, Johnny Otis, etc.

lmao Corrupted by teen aunts! Have no idea who Airto Moreira is... You ever see CB in his prime? Though his prime probably lasted into his '60's... I never was a big Elvis fan, nor fan of much of anyone before mid-late 60's. Except CB- he was the man! I grew up listening to classical and church music (mom was a choir director). I think my early inundation in classical is why prog appeals to me so.

My first record was at 3, Cindy, oh Cindy by Vince Martin and the Tarriers w/Alan Arkin on a 78!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYGJvuserZQ
My second was at 4, House of Bamboo/Hawaiian Wedding Song by Andy Williams on Cadence 45 #1358. Hawaiian Wedding song seemed sappy, even though it was the A side. Believe it or not, House of Bamboo, the B side was a beatnick rocker!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4T5wGnoCzM I did come to appreciate Hawaiian.. as an adult. My friend Louie had his juke box Dad get one. It became his fave track, too. The one constant in "our jukebox." Yes, I bought Little Golden Records, Mickey Mouse and Chipmunks, but outgrew that at 9. Watched the first ABC network American Bandstand telecast.

Never really listened to this type of music. Went straight from Beethoven and Mozart to the Monkees, then the Stones, then the floodgates opened. My parents hated that rock and roll shit too, but when they protested, I just told them that they were singing about love- what could be wrong with that?

There is a concert thread. I had season subscription to the Chicago Symphony for years, so that's a couple hundred. Several years of 5 acts a day at Jazzfest & Bluesfest for free! :banana: Memorable shows: several Miles shows, Laura Nyro, Herb Alpert, Santana, Eric Bibb, Swing Out Sister, Chicago, Weather Report, Zappa, Ray Charles, Steely Dan, Simon & Garfunkel.

So- Jazz and Bluesfest were part of your job, I assume. Nice gig. Some nice shows there. There is now another concert thread- didn't know there was an old one...

My hearing is impaired, but only slightly. I'm sure the high end is diminished. I heard fairly flat to 19K when I was 19. I would usually excuse myself from sound rooms when clients wanted to crank, with implicit instructions, "you can't turn it up beyond x." Ours go to 11!

So- were/are you a producer or what, if I may ask?

As much as I've always been a gearhead, the music is what it's all about. That's the #1 priority. Gear is simply a means to an end.

Sorry to have comandeered this thread! #54, the house with the bamboo door.

Totally agree, its about the music. If the sound is bad, I won't listen, and I do enjoy searching for the "best sound" re: software (wish I had the budget to do more on the hardware side...), but bottom line is: does it move me? I've heard some excellent sounding recordings of world class musicians that just don't do it for me. Intellectually, I know its great music, but its gotta stir me deep down... That being said, a lot of my favorite music didn't touch me at first. It was only upon repeated listens that it clicked. And one thing I've noticed as I've aged is that I don't have the patience I used to for new music that doesn't grab me right away- very sad... I've just got so much music (a lot for me anyway, everything being relative) that I'd rather put on an old favorite, rather than spend the time to let some things sink in...

As for hijacking the thread, I think I have to take the lion's share of the blame- you're just answering my questions- which I do appreciate (my apologies to those who don't).

Yes, Bob, but you're a Qwazy Quad-eared furry haired freak! lol!! I didn't have my own turntable until I was 13. There were a couple turntables around the house that I seemed to use more than anyone else. And then there were my friend's jukeboxes in his garage. My Dad gave me the reel deck so I would buy less records.

Perhaps Santana & Paul Simon albums are the only things non-jazz that Airto played on. If you have jazz albums from the '70's, especially CTI stuff, he's probably on them. Played with Miles, Weather Report, Chick Corea/Return to Forever.

You're right, ProgRules, they WERE singing about love, or, at least the literal meaning of Rock & Roll. Still are. Rock me with that steady roll.

No, I was never a big time producer, and didn't work at Jazz and Blues Fest. I spent lots of my spare time there. There is also a Blues fest in suburban Aurora. An old hotel, which is now a condo building, was the site of many RCA/Bluebird blues recordings in the '30's. I contacted someone from building management and got to go up there. It was awesome to stand where Tampa Red, John Lee Williamson (the REAL Sonny Boy), and many others recorded. Hallowed ground. I did manage a couple local bands, and played in a couple. No one you've ever heard of.

I was in the hi-fi business, and later selling and managing people selling to retailers. I've also been President of two not for profits, and have worked to raise funds for others and serve them.

I've met an incredible number of famous people, mostly musicians. Lots of it is serendipitous. Just being around, sweet, respectful and having an honest interest has opened many doors. People recognize sincere fans and like to talk music. Musicians dig other folks' music. I'm NOT a groupie! Musician instantly recognize that I'm not a hanger-on. Just like you guys here, they recognize that I'm a music nut, just like them. Cool, we're on the same page,

Chuck Berry is the root of most rock, and Louis Jordan before him. See Five Guys named Moe in my 10 (20) concert posting. Some people will hate me, but I've never been an Elvis fan. I was exposed to him very early on. Sadly, I've never seen Chuck Berry. I need to.

Linda... I had my first record player at 3 years old and my first tape recorder at 6!
So you aren't that crazy! :)

Had one of those RCA versatile wonders, too. That was one way to keep you from buying Columbia's LP's!

I do have many memories at 3. One of my most traumatic memories was getting my blonde, curly locks cut at 2. I was pissed off and felt violated. Some of us do have memories that far back. Since we lived downstairs of my Grandparents, I also remember Grandad coming home every night and playing, "I Wish I Was Single Again." Bet that put Grandma in the mood.

Most of all, I remember when box sets were six 78's bound into a book. Columbia then made them into the aforementioned LP.

my old rca bakelite 45 rpm only phograph was there ever since I can remember. Mom says I was using it at 3 , you can't dispute her. so it's not you remember the age, mom remembers.

Perhaps Santana & Paul Simon albums are the only things non-jazz that Airto played on. If you have jazz albums from the '70's, especially CTI stuff, he's probably on them. Played with Miles, Weather Report, Chick Corea/Return to Forever.

Wow- he played with some giants. Probably seen his name, just didn't register. That being said, I am not very literate in the jazz world, just know the main players. Actually, that's probably true of most areas of music- there are a lotta bands on the concert thread I've never heard of.

You're right, ProgRules, they WERE singing about love, or, at least the literal meaning of Rock & Roll. Still are. Rock me with that steady roll.

No, I was never a big time producer, and didn't work at Jazz and Blues Fest. I spent lots of my spare time there. There is also a Blues fest in suburban Aurora. An old hotel, which is now a condo building, was the site of many RCA/Bluebird blues recordings in the '30's. I contacted someone from building management and got to go up there. It was awesome to stand where Tampa Red, John Lee Williamson (the REAL Sonny Boy), and many others recorded. Hallowed ground. I did manage a couple local bands, and played in a couple. No one you've ever heard of.

So, you're a musician as well? What's your axe?

I was in the hi-fi business, and later selling and managing people selling to retailers. I've also been President of two not for profits, and have worked to raise funds for others and serve them.

I've met an incredible number of famous people, mostly musicians. Lots of it is serendipitous. Just being around, sweet, respectful and having an honest interest has opened many doors. People recognize sincere fans and like to talk music. Musicians dig other folks' music. I'm NOT a groupie! Musician instantly recognize that I'm not a hanger-on. Just like you guys here, they recognize that I'm a music nut, just like them. Cool, we're on the same page,

I've met very few famous people, a couple of musicians and was your typical star-struck, tongue-tied dimwit. Me and some friends once found out where the Dead were staying and tried to get in- Rocky answered the door and told us it was too full, but if you 2 ladies want to come in...:rolleyes: But Bobby was cool and came out into the hallway and talked w/ us for a while.

Chuck Berry is the root of most rock, and Louis Jordan before him. See Five Guys named Moe in my 10 (20) concert posting. Some people will hate me, but I've never been an Elvis fan. I was exposed to him very early on. Sadly, I've never seen Chuck Berry. I need to.

CB is definitely a pillar of rock. Which artist (one of the Stones, I think) said every rock musician should pay Chuck a royalty on all their music? Probably Keith. I don't recall Louis Jordan.

Had one of those RCA versatile wonders, too. That was one way to keep you from buying Columbia's LP's!

I do have many memories at 3. One of my most traumatic memories was getting my blonde, curly locks cut at 2. I was pissed off and felt violated. Some of us do have memories that far back. Since we lived downstairs of my Grandparents, I also remember Grandad coming home every night and playing, "I Wish I Was Single Again." Bet that put Grandma in the mood.

lmao

Back