BBC HJ Matrix - 4 tapes found

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bayards

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I am posting 4 cassettes today that I found at home, to OxfordDickie so that he can perfirm his miracles on them for us to listen to:

Tape 1:
1) Sensational Alex Harvey Band playing King Kong, Midnite Moses and Rock 'n' Rule from Alan Freeman Show on Radio 1 dated 1 April 1978 (not an April Fool's joke BTW) @14 mins
2) Music in our time - Tim Souster and Terry Riley - Song for instruments and 4 track tape
3) Arboreal Antecedents for 3 instrumentalists and 4 track tape. Tim Souster, Peter britten and Tony Greenwood as 0db - a live electronics group.
4) Boomtown Rats - Clockwork, Living on an Island, Me and Howard Hughes and Watch out for the normal people. From Alan Freeman Show May 27 1978.

Tape 2:
3 Royal Choirs sing Coronation Music (BBC Radio 3)
Boyce, Elgar, Gibbons, Bairstow, Purcell, Paratt, Vaughan Williams etc. Recorded Westminster Abbey 2 June 1977

Tape 3:
Richard III - Part 2
A BBC radio play by David Pownall with members of the Paines PLough Company.
The action of the play moves in and out of the years 1948, 1984, 1484 and 1485. The play has been presented at the National Theatre and Edinburgh Festival

Tape 4:
Alan Freeman Show July 1 1978 - Genesis live at Knebworth.
Side 2 - Sherlock Holmes (July 2nd 1978) "The Piroery School) - a binaural recording

H

Well, shock upon shock!!!

When you said a list to make wet my appetite, you were'nt wrong were you.

As some may know, Matrix H is the dog of all the matrix systems, and to quote again an official: Nothing decodes 'H' well.

The 'modification' the BBC publicly released so a QS decoder could 'attempt' to decode the broadcasts was unfortunatley only half of what was actually needed. I was contacted by someone who worked on it in those days who told me the other half that the BBC never released. Naughty, but it seems there were 'commercial' reasons for this, as someone started a business modify sansui decoders and they obviousl wanted the business!!!

So adding 60 degrees (which, by the way is wrong - it's 58 degrees) to the right channel on its own will do nothing but create an awful mess. As i keep saying, it's a maths thing!

Work has been on-going for some time on dealing with this overly complex matrix, which was only based on QS and is as compatible with it as SQ is.

With what is, to my knowledge, the largest known collection of Matrix 'H' recordings heading this way, work on 'H' is now prioity number 1

I must thanks Bayards for this genorous donation, and i hope the tapes are in a good enough condition to allow us to enjoy some long lost recordings from the past

OD

Genesis Knebworth 78? OMG... THAT was on Matrix H?
Think i still have somewhere a boot LP of this concert.

EDIT: it was the 24 june show, not the 1 of july show.

Tim Souster, from the wiki link above: "In the 1980s and 1990s he wrote music for film and television, including music for the BBC TV adaptation of The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, including the main theme, which was a re-arrangement of Journey of the Sorcerer by The Eagles."

Which was presented in wonderful surround.....! In the radio adaption, anyway.

Tape 4:
Alan Freeman Show July 1 1978 - Genesis live at Knebworth.

Does anyone have a contact at the British Museum National Sound Archive? From radioguide.genesis-movement.org:

In 1978 Genesis headlined the annual Knebworth Festival, their sole UK date on the "Mirrors" tour. The BBC recorded the show on the Island Record mobile studio and a week later on 1.Jul.78 broadcast some of the show in quadraphonic on the fifth aniversary of Alan Freeman's "Saturday Afternoon Show" between 4:00pm and 5:30pm. The BBC master of this initial broadcast was a 90 minute edit of the show on quad reel-to-reel tape, though no subsequent broadcast has been in quadraphonic sound. CDR clones of a 48KHz DAT dub of the BBC master are kept at the National Sound Archive.

Could provide an interesting alternate source.

I do have the 1977 Christmas 'Quadraphonic' special here, which will, of course, one day see the light of day.

Here's the catalogue record for Genesis:

"http://cadensa.bl.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi/?ps=zKbgJ6yFdO/WORKS-FILE/287660145/9"

If only I'd known when we were over in the London in July last year. However, I assume they put you in a listening room with some headphones and never leave you alone with the discs.

I can't imagine they'd allow access to the media itself, or allow any media that would enable it to be copied in with you either

By the way, the link has times out

I released a few decoded UHJ albums a year ago, and have been playing around with any way of doing it - just not had the time to do more. Unfortunatly, it's not possible to write a script to decode it.

UHJ isn't like 'H' or 'HJ', which are solidly a matrix, even though it stands for "Universal HJ". It's basically 2 channel ambisonics, using a single phase (+90 degrees) matrix to carry it (if you know what i mean). It is only W, X and Y with no Z (height)

I've been meaning to do Paul McCarney's 'Liverpool Ortorio' (sorry if that's spelt wrong) for a while now, but SQ & QS needed sorting.

OD

OD - see you have been feeding the Dreaming Spires site with more goodies. Any news on when the BBC HJ cassettes I sent will be up for consumption? Also bought a Sony 380 so can enjoy the Mojave goodies too....quad lives on....

I hope I am not breaking any rules or protocols, but suffice to say it is highly unlikely you will see a response from OD on this forum.

Howdy all
Don't really mean to be off topic here but did I miss something? It's been a busy week for me. For my birthday my wife, Christine got me these (below) that I'd been wanting plus an excellent, funny novel. First book I've taken the time to read in ages and it was hilarious. Since then have started reading To Kill A Mockingbird on my iPad and it's excellent. For anyone living in Sydney, I recommend viewing the Vivid Festival. We stayed in the Rocks for the weekend courtesy of my kids

Mike Oldfield - Incantations (Deluxe Edition)
Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge (Deluxe Edition)
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn (Deluxe Edition)
Gentle Giant - Freehand (CD+DVD)
Gentle Giant - In'Terview (CD+DVD)
Electric Light Orchestra - Electric Light Orchestra / First Light (CD+DVD)
Caravan - In The Land Of Grey & Pink (40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)
Be Bop Deluxe - Futurist Manifesto - 1974-1978 (5CD)
Porcupine Tree - The Incident (DVDA)
Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Music
Jimi Hendrix: Burning Desire
Jimi Hendrix: Morning Symphony Ideas
Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At Woburn
Jimi Hendrix Experience: Paris 1967/San Franciso 1968
Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live In Paris & Ottawa 1968
Noel Redding: The Experience Sessions
Jimi Hendrix: The Baggys Rehearsal Sessions

Well...since this thread has turned into a "catch all", I'll bite, what has become of OxfordDickie? Hopefully not medical bad news or anything........

About six months ago, he threatened to retire because of site drama, but returned. I don't follow what he does very closely, but perhaps something of that sort has happened again.

Back