MLP encoding

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokey911

This is my first post so forgive me if this has been covered before.
I've just encoded a few songs with SurCode MLP, they are 5.0 at 96/24.
The finished MLP files are about 200MB which is what I would have expected for a 4 Minute song, however when the files are burnt to a DVD-A using Discwelder Chrome they end up being about 800MB, at this rate I would only fit about 5 songs on a single layer disc.
What am I doing wrong?

I would guess that maybe you are also burning an upmix to stereo? Check you settings, maybe Chrome is making your DVD-A have more on it than you want.

I think DW doesn't support writing short lead-out DVDs for compatibility reason. From the web:
The long lead out is required due to the A03/A04 complying with the DVD specification. The DVD specification states a minimum of 35mm radius needs to be written on a DVD. This has has something to do with DVD Players liking to spin and calibrate a disc before playback and they expect data to recorded on the disc in the outer areas.

Chrome is a strange animal, and I remember some version giving me fits when I would set the disc size for 4.7GB with material that should have easily fit. Even adding multiple groups with no more music increased size seemingly un- proportionately.
I don't use Chrome any lately so I don't remember much about the different versions.

Grill is 100% correct - the padding is hard wired, and cannot be bypassed. It's not a good idea to bypass it either, as the whole point of it is to ensure the widest possible compliance.

@boondocks, what we must always remember - and this still catches me out too - is thata 4.7Gb DVD will not actually hold 4.7Gb of data.
Computer GB are larger than DVD Gb, as one is based in multiples of 1024, the other in multiples of 1,000.
Total actual space on a DVD 5 is only 4.2Gb of computer data, and this translates to DVD9 as well, with a maximum of 4.2Gb/layer allowed.
Another triumph of marketing speak over common sense.

Back