And the Grammy for Best Surround Mix goes to.....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
A disc you cannot actually buy any longer.
Elliot Scheiner has got it for "Layla" Super Deluxe Edition.

This is a kick in the bollocks for surround sound. Not because it is a bad mix, as it is actually superb.
The problem I have here is that anybody who wants to buy the winner actually cannot do it unless they are prepared to pay a fortune to scalpers.
This will put people off the whole format even more - why give it to an OOP title, and furthermore one that was only available to begin with in a very limited format to begin with. Frankly, it is a disgrace - look at the nominations, and show me any other category that is so mixed up.

A bad, bad joke.

Well Neil, "Album of the Year" was pretty f'ed up as well, unless a mercenary-made Rihanna album is your thing. :)

I think it's pretty ridiculous that ANY recording whatsoever winds up being OOP before its Grammy eligibility expires. It's probably less likely that any sort of extra run will happen to this because it's a surround title, though.

Funny, I just posted the same basic thought in another thread. Very dumb. At least put the disc out for sale to the GP. Even when it was available, most folks couldn't afford it!

Surround Grammy catagory probably fits right in with the Best World Album or Chanting Album of the Year.

Well Neil, "Album of the Year" was pretty f'ed up as well, unless a mercenary-made Rihanna album is your thing. :)

I think it's pretty ridiculous that ANY recording whatsoever winds up being OOP before its Grammy eligibility expires. It's probably less likely that any sort of extra run will happen to this because it's a surround title, though.

Not bothered even looking at the rest of the results, Jon, as it is just too disillusional (is that a proper word?)
Adele? Good Grief, she is not a singer, she is one of these modern bellowers whose voice is already shot & required surgery to remove those polyps, which are caused by straining.
It happened to Paul Young too, onstage at Wembley and he never really came back from it.
The whole Grammy thing is an exercise in the usual cronyism as I see it and the surround category is frankly a bad joke - show me one other category where such disparate styles are lumped together - it is like trying to judge an apple against an orange, a pear & a banana whereas every other category compares apples with apples etc.

Of course, the biggest problem is that surround just is not taken seriously by the labels.

The people that do the actual voting probably (ie surely) didn't make their homework. (ie they didn't even listen to any of it)
They just recognized Layla (the song) and voted for it. Stevn Wilson?...Was he a Beach Boy?....No?....Screw him!

Back