SQ edition, Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew"--IN QS.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonscape

Maybe this doesn't belong here...but I found no similar group, so here goes:

So, after setting up my quad receiver today (Pioneer QX 949A), I decided to dig out some quad LP's I'd collected over the years. One was Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew." I noticed the surround effects immediately. Suddenly, the weird repeats that were present on the quad version (but not the stereo) made sense. They went all over the room! Sharp trumpet blasts echoing left and right, stuff going back and forth between the rear channels, wild and exhilarating--almost exhausting, actually.

Then on the last side, I noticed that I had the machine set to the RM (or QS) setting! After it finished, I started it out again on the SQ setting. What was interesting was, the surround effect this time wasn't nearly as dramatic. For example, when I had played my SQ pressing before in stereo, those repeats and echoes essentially happened over again in the same channel. On the SQ setting, it was actually fairly similar to that experience--fairly flat.

If anyone has a copy of this LP, I suggest listening to it in QS mode, as it's leaps and bounds above the way it was originally intended.

Maybe this doesn't belong here...but I found no similar group, so here goes:

So, after setting up my quad receiver today (Pioneer QX 949A), I decided to dig out some quad LP's I'd collected over the years. One was Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew." I noticed the surround effects immediately. Suddenly, the weird repeats that were present on the quad version (but not the stereo) made sense. They went all over the room! Sharp trumpet blasts echoing left and right, stuff going back and forth between the rear channels, wild and exhilarating--almost exhausting, actually.

Then on the last side, I noticed that I had the machine set to the RM (or QS) setting! After it finished, I started it out again on the SQ setting. What was interesting was, the surround effect this time wasn't nearly as dramatic. For example, when I had played my SQ pressing before in stereo, those repeats and echoes essentially happened over again in the same channel. On the SQ setting, it was actually fairly similar to that experience--fairly flat.

If anyone has a copy of this LP, I suggest listening to it in QS mode, as it's leaps and bounds above the way it was originally intended.

Great and groundbreaking album-you have very good taste. :)

The QS being more "discrete" is because of the fact that, unless you have a Tate decoder, SQ is way more difficult to decode than QS, which is a "simpler" matrix.

If you REALLY want to hear this as it was intended, there is a conversion from a reel "floating" around- G**gle is your best friend...you'll never look back after that...

Back