Sounding good in quad...list so far

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonscape

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra (UK Virgin LP) SQ
Tangerine Dream - Rubycon (UK Virgin LP) SQ
After checking out Phaedra, I saw some other people quite enjoy Rubycon in quad, too. I don't know what it is, but there's a pattern forming in Europe...things are seeming to sound better in the SQ matrix over there.

Grouper - A|A QS
Decided to try this one out, as Grouper tends to use a lot of layering. There were some interesting effects in QS.

Slowdive - Pygmalion (UK Creation orig LP) SQ
Nice, open sound. Things sweep around the room on this one.

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (SQ edition) QS
Someone commented on a previous post about this one. I would LOVE to hear a discrete reel of it! Of course, going away from the "originally intended" matrix felt...devious. I definitely reaped the benefits here!

Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds (Moodsville orig LP) QS
The effect was more subtle here, with piano going between the front left and right rear speakers. This would happen occasionally on Yusef's notes too. Very interesting.

Tim Buckley - Hello and Goodbye SQ
Curiously, the QS matrix didn't do much for this one. Things were much more interesting in SQ, with the second guitar featuring prominently in the left rear speaker on some cuts. I could hear more of what was going on in this one, which I never thought possible--it IS an excellent stereo mix. But that's why I chose to try it out in the first place!

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde QS
One of the big ones to listen to in quad, of course. Much more open...you can hear more of what's going on.

Back