quad setup with newer reciever

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daje58

i have a quad turntable and records from 1970's and wonder if anyone has connected a quad turntable to a new 7.1 reciever and got good quad sound with that setup?

I saw your other post. If most of your stuff is CD-4, check out the demodulator being sold here by a QQ member. That should work very well with a new receiver and would be more reliable then 40 year old equipment.
Forum- Legacy MultiChannel Sound & Systems-Discrete LP Formats (CD-4,UD-4)- Lou Dorren's QQ CD-4 Demodulator: Pre-Order List

It would help if you stated what type of quad albums you have as there were (generally speaking...) 3 different systems: discrete CD-4 "Quadradisc", and the SQ and QS matrix types. Through a modern A/V receiver, Dolby PL II can be set to credibly reproduce QS records, otherise you will still need to add an SQ or QS decoder into the chain, or a demodulator for the CD4 records...either a vintage one or sign up for Mr. Dorren's state of the art one. John

your other post. If most of your stuff is CD-4, check out the demodulator being sold here by a QQ member. That should work very well with a new receiver and would be more reliable then 40 year old equipment.
Forum- Legacy MultiChannel Sound & Systems-Discrete LP Formats (CD-4,UD-4)- Lou Dorren's QQ CD-4 Demodulator: Pre-Order List[/QUOTE]

Adding a CD-4 demodulator would be the easiest way, if you have the right phono cartridge. You would connect it to the front and surround (of the 5.1-channel direct) inputs on your receiver. Adding SQ and/or QS matrix quad would require that you use a phono preamp between the turntable and the matrix decoder, so one more thing to buy. Either way, you would have to give up (or find a way to share) the single multichannel input on your receiver ... although some demodulators and some matrix decoders have a 4-channel input to replace those connections. As others have mentioned; Dolby PLII does a decent job of QS decoding, so your choice is really between either a SQ or CD-4 device. I have a spare Pioneer CD-4 demodulator if you are interested (depending on your location) ... but keep in mind that you will need a phono cartridge that is compatible with CD-4 playback to do it properly.

I have cd4 and SQ rrecords and i have analog inputs on my receiver. I have two cd4 stylus's and a quad turntable Sounds like a adding a CD-4 demodulator would be my best bet.

It has been a long time (1975) since i used quad equip. i may seek more advice from you guys. Thanks for the info.
Dan

Back