Big Star: Radio City

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadsearcher

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I've been playing stereo through DPLII (only thing available to me so far). The SACD of the above title sounded like intentional separation in parts; a backing vocal only in the back, some percussion and other overdubs only in back, but mostly just much more open. A good needledrop of it was even more immpressive. I was hearing things I never heard in a record I've heard perhaps more than any other. This sure seemed like quad to me, other records incl. Big Star's first LP didn't do it. I was convinced I found a hidden quad. It was from '73 and I had seen 4 speakers in the corners in a picture of the studio (Ardent).
I've been hoping someone with a true SQ or QS decoder or software would try it. As they said on the "X-Files" TV show, I want to believe.
Long story short, yesterday I was cleaning out a folder of mp3s from back when I had a player and found two QS titles I burned off to disc.
Enoch Light presents QS by Sansui (or something like that) and Henry Franklin The Skipper at Home. Played them through DPLII in the car on the way home last night. WOW!!! I guess this means Radio City isn't quad but it does sound better in "quad" than stereo.
The Enoch had extreme separation like I'd heard on his 8-tracks. The Franklin is an immersive mix, very good mix, and excellent bass and other sounds. What a treat. :banana:

Back