DVD recordable vs pressed discs question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0tto

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
how comes that retail DVDs is so differ from recordable DVDs?
is anyone ever have seen blank DVDs not purple but silver in color, like those used at the factories?
i did tried internet search and got null explanation, absolutely nothing.

thanks. i didn't know that factories employ absolutely different method of discs recording.
sadly this mean that there no way to do such process at home and thus be assured that
one or another disc in your pile wouldn't die, to disappoint you upon attempt to explore
the data, saved some years ago.

I actually seem to have good luck with home brew DVD's. Not so much with CD's from a few years ago that I burned DTS to. But it depends on the playback unit as well. My old Samsung HD841 chokes on some of them, my older Oppo has problems with skips, the BDP-80 has the least problems.

I actually seem to have good luck with home brew DVD's. Not so much with CD's from a few years ago that I burned DTS to. But it depends on the playback unit as well. My old Samsung HD841 chokes on some of them, my older Oppo has problems with skips, the BDP-80 has the least problems.

that's actually not the music DVDs. when DVD recordable had become available, i did transfer
a pile of my backup CDs with data to DVDs and CDs went to garbage. sort of "organized to save the place" :(
perhaps i should check out another pile of quad releases to see what happend for time being, since they were recorded.

I try to keep as much music as possible backed up on HDD as well. I figure having both physical and digital backups at least give me a fighting chance in case one or the other disappears. I have no way to backup SACD's, but my SACD collection is not huge and thanks to some enterprising folks on the 'net I have at least most backed up.
I'm in the process of moving in .MKV format a lot of surround music to my HTPC, which gives me yet another backup location. Sure wish HDD's would come back down in price but I'm set for now.

Back