DVD/DTS Poll Gentle Giant - Free Hand [DTS 96-24/DD DVD+CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Gentle Giant - FREEHAND

• Total voters
The fixed version is very good, some bright parts and bass lacking in sections, but that can easily be fixed. Great album. I like the way the drums are mixed on this. Some really clever work.

The fixed version is very good, some bright parts and bass lacking in sections, but that can easily be fixed. Great album. I like the way the drums are mixed on this. Some really clever work.

Cool. I will have to play around with this on a rainy day today, here on the west coast of Fla.

It's a 6 from me
Love the music, but the quad mix is not one of my favourites
When I first brought this the CD wouldn't come out of the case and I was a little impatient. The disc cracked in half as a result of my heavy handling. Luckily got it replaced because the CD case was impossible to get the disc out.

While Gentle Giant's Free Hand is one of their best albums, I'm not too crazy about the 4.0 mix on the DVD. I feel that there's a few too many changes from the original mix that don't work for me. It's understandable since it was done (by the band) in the '70s (and while I've read from earlier posts that some of the channels on this release were 'swapped', I'm not going to rewire my system for just one album). Anyway, it's good to have the comments from the band members in the booklet (and the album's original mix on CD and as an extra on the DVD). Free Hand would be a blast with a full 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson on Blu-Ray (I've heard that the multi-tracks for the album are missing but I can dream).

It's definitely worth re-hearing with the proper channel assignment. If you rip the disc to a file, you don't have rewire, you can reassign channels fairly painlessly with freeware (Audacity).

Back