Quad "Go to" songs.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ventures

Name three or more songs that you 'go to' for showing off the quad experience with your equipment.

Edgar Winter - Frankenstein
The Doors - Hello, I Love You
Enoch Light - Explorations in Moog Synthesizer ;)

"Rock On" - David Essex: This has a "grab you by the yarbles" quad mix. It's quite remarkable when you think that it's almost 40 years old. You may not like the tune, but you have to respect the mix.

"How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)" - James Taylor: Actually, anything from "Gorilla" is a quad spectacular. Listen to the rears by themselves for some very revealing sounds and vocals.

"Black Water" - Doobie Brothers: The ultimate quad demo track. This one used to impress even the most "two eared" dudes back in the late '70s.

Strawberry Fields - Stardrive/Robert Mason YOU NEED THIS RECORD!
For the Love of Money - O'Jays bass riffs popping up all around you.
Them Changes - Santana & Buddy Miles fantastic mix, cookin' jam
Birds of Fire - Mahavishnu Orchestra 5 guys, 4 channels, fantastic mix. does anyone play better?
Open Up Wide - Chase (light low end) Gimmicky, but SQD-2020 decodes it nicely I'd love to hear it on a Tate. Great on Q8, but there's even less bottom
Miracles - Jefferson Starship my #2 all-time song. I've always hated the gain-riding when Marty sings "power." All mixes/edits have it. Never say never.
Jump Into the Fire - Nilsson Schmilsson Harry rocks, really!
You're So Vain - Carly Simon nice bass. cover looks best on CD-4. son of a gun
Chicago You Get It Up and Scrapbook are hot Beginnings is the BEST song ever made. Saturday in the Park.
Make It With You - Bread (makes ALL women my age melt)
My Little Town - Simon & Garfunkel w/horns just like my hometown, which became a big 'burb. Nothing but the dead and dying.
Nineteen Hundred Eighty Five - McCartney (shoulda been out on SQ - great on DTS-CD Is that cheating?) great synthesizer runs
Broddy Bounce - Capitan y Tennille great drum solo & bark
Touch Me - Doors w/horns stronger than dirt
China Grove - Doobie Brothers music is the Doctor of my soul
Hurricane - Dylan
Dinah-Moe-Humm - Zappa she said her stereo was 4 way
Riders on the Storm - Doors eerier in Quad, whispers are more audible than in 2ch
Love, Devotion & Surrender Santana w/Leon Thomas & Wendy Haas from Welcome, NOT the album w/McLaughlin which is wonderful, too
More Than a Feeling - Boston just halucinating, folks zzzzz I see my MaryAnn walking away...

"Rock On" - David Essex: This has a "grab you by the yarbles" quad mix. It's quite remarkable when you think that it's almost 40 years old. You may not like the tune, but you have to respect the mix.

I'm curious about this. I have an Adobe Audition decoded version of this album, and the mix on "Rock On" bothers me because the delay on the vocal in the rear channels is louder than the main vocal in the fronts. Are you listening to an SQ album or the Q8?

J. D.

I'm curious about this. I have an Adobe Audition decoded version of this album, and the mix on "Rock On" bothers me because the delay on the vocal in the rear channels is louder than the main vocal in the fronts. Are you listening to an SQ album or the Q8?

J. D.

Q8 - very discrete

Hearing that Schmilsson reel is still my quad grail. It's pretty great on the scratched CD-4 I got but well, you know, R2R! I can dream.....:)

Some of mine already taken (especially "Hello, I Love You!) but I will add:

"High and Dry" - Gordon Lightfoot. Catherine Smith in the back channels.

"Riders on the Storm" - The Doors. The whispers.

"Respect" - Aretha Franklin. It is just dynamite in quad!

There really are others but that's good for now.

Doug

Deep Purple Highway Star, the mix with the opening vocal coming up in each speaker separately (CD-4?). Kraftwerk Min/Max.

I won't mention the ones I use that have already been mentioned but here are ones that never fail to impress me, much less anybody who's never heard them before

Deep Purple: Lazy
Ten Years After: Baby Won't You Let Me Rock and Roll You?
Art Garfunkel: I Shall Sing
Rick Derringer: Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo
Santana: Black Magic Woman
Maria Muldaur: It Ain't the Meat Its the Motion

I didn't mean to "dislike" this post, and now I don't know how to undo it.

I didn't mean to "dislike" this post, and now I don't know how to undo it.

"You can dislike anytime you like but you can never un-dislike. Welcome to the Hotel QQ"

Actually, I have no idea if I can fix that for you. A lot of the stuff with this forum software is "under the covers", and I'm not a SQL guru.
It was a miracle that I figured out how to modify Cai's script for the HiRez poll, and that took some serious Googlin'.

I just disabled the "DISLIKE". We don't need it here, because we LIKE everything!!! :)

Better jump in.... quickly without over-thinking it

Edgar Winter Group - Frankenstein
Paul Simon - American Tune (anything off that record actually)
Moody Blues - Tuesday Afternoon
Pink Floyd - Time
Jeff Beck - Scatterbrain
Santana - No One To Depend On
Beck, Bogert, Appice - Lady
Loggins & Messina - Angry Eyes
Doors - Who Do You Love (need all of that promised 5.1 live Doors)
Joe Walsh - Daydream
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies (thank you Donovan)
Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown
Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion
Paul McCartney - Live & Let Die (title track)
Wendy Carlos - Air On A G String

HEY! -----Who disliked this thread!!?? ;) lol!

I've heard some of these songs and hope to catch them all some day.

Thanks for your offerings everyone!

Back