Anathema - Weather Systems (limited edition CD/DVDA)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
savaytse66,

Welcome to QQ! I notice this was your first post, although you joined a while ago. I am a frequent lurker too :)

It was I who talked about how drastically different the 5.1 mix was from the stereo mix. I am continually surprised by how different the mixes are, and I listen to both fairly frequently since I, like you, really love the music. In one track, a completely different vocal track was chosen. In less severe cases, however, it is a different instrument that is made prominent, while other instruments are put in the background (like you mentioned). I believe Christer-Andre Cederberg mixed both the stereo and 5.1, but the liner notes don't say that explicitly. If it was Christer who did both, it is surprising that he would make such different mixing decisions. I guess he was trying to get creative with the 5.1 mix, but I think it was a mistake to change the feel of the song so much.

Regardless, it is a great album, and well worth the purchase.

While searching for more information about the upcoming ELP mixes by Jakko Jakszyk, I landed on this page, http://jakkomusic.com/surround.html and to my surprise it mentions that Jakko mixed Weather Systems in 5.1. As he is not mentioned in the credits, I sent him an email asking if his mix was used or not. No answer yet.

. As well as the surround mix of 'A Scarcity Of Miracles', in 2012 Jakko remixed 'Weather Systems' by Anathema in 5.1. He is currently re-mixing some of King Crimson's back catalogue in 5.1 and will commence work on surround sound mixes of Emerson Lake and Palmer's seminal albums 'Trilogy ' and 'Brain Salad Surgery' in early 2013.

I only now have discovered this band. They're really good! I just sent an email to Burning Shed asking about the availability of the CD/DVD of "Distant Satellites" and "Weather Systems" so I can add "We're Here Because We're Here" to my order. I'd like to get all three at the same time. :)

Weather Systems is NOT available as a DVDA. It never was, the DVD was DVD-V. It IS available from Burning Shed as a 24 bit 48K 5.1 FLAC download, however. Very nice too!

I only now have discovered this band. They're really good! I just sent an email to Burning Shed asking about the availability of the CD/DVD of "Distant Satellites" and "Weather Systems" so I can add "We're Here Because We're Here" to my order. I'd like to get all three at the same time. :)
As Valhalla pointed out, the flac download is the way to go. The dvd of Weather Systems does not sound very good at all.

Great that you discovered this band. Those three albums are excellent!

Thanks, guys!

I'll have to go back to Burning Shed again because I did look for that download but couldn't find it.

Yes, I know the discs are DVD-V only...thanks!

I did find "Weather Systems" on eBay for $10.99 U.S. dollars for the CD/DVD.

It's definitely a must-have then.:)

Thanks for the link!

Good memories of this album. It was the first Anathema album I bought. I heard a track on a kscope sampler and when I read that this album was mixed by Steven Wilson I gave it a try. Never looked back as they say :) great live band as well, highly recommended to go and see them if you have the change.

I saw that they have a "Live" Blu-ray concert out but it's only a 2.0 mix.:mad:@:

btw, what is your favorite among the three Kscope releases?

I like them all - They all have their moments....

My personal favourite is were Here Because We're Here.

Good memories of this album. It was the first Anathema album I bought. I heard a track on a kscope sampler and when I read that this album was mixed by Steven Wilson I gave it a try. Never looked back as they say :) great live band as well, highly recommended to go and see them if you have the change.

They're playing in Australia next month. In Melbourne it's a small pub venue (under 1000 people). I'm taking my wife and 18 yo daughter. Looking forward to it!

I saw that they have a "Live" Blu-ray concert out but it's only a 2.0 mix.:mad:@:

btw, what is your favorite among the three Kscope releases?
As LK said, they all have their moments. For me there are not really any weak songs on these albums. 5.1 mix wise, I am liking the Distant Satellites mix a lot, perhaps because it is fresh. Weather Systems is my least favorite surround mix, it is a bit unbalanced here and there.

I just received the "Distant Satellites" disc I purchased off of eBay and opened it right up. Unfortunately, it is not the dual disc set with the 5.1 DVD mix. So, here I am stuck with another coaster:rolleyes: until my copy that I ordered off of Amazon arrives (they say 2-4 weeks). I did manage to order the last copy of "We're Here Because We're Here" and that should arrive in a few days time. I will go get the 5.1 download of "Weather Systems" over the weekend via Burning Shed.

I just received the "Distant Satellites" disc I purchased off of eBay and opened it right up. Unfortunately, it is not the dual disc set with the 5.1 DVD mix. So, here I am stuck with another coaster:rolleyes: until my copy that I ordered off of Amazon arrives (they say 2-4 weeks). I did manage to order the last copy of "We're Here Because We're Here" and that should arrive in a few days time. I will go get the 5.1 download of "Weather Systems" over the weekend via Burning Shed.

Let me know how that download goes and sounds. ( FWIW, apparently you'll need to create an account just for a download. I've made other purchases from BS but didn't realize I didn't have a download account.)

Just got this absolutely excellent. 14.00 free delivery eBay. Out of Vancouver.

Back