Anathema - Weather Systems (limited edition CD/DVDA)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here, got the set yesterday, was appalled to discover the surround mix was DD only. I sat down and listened to it anyway, because I'm a big Anathema fan and I'd been waiting for this disc for a while, but I must say I'm even disappointed in the mix.

Does anyone know who did this mix? It's not Steven Wilson, is it?

I'll have to take more time to process this, but I'm really disappointed. I've already contacted Burning Shed and Kscope, we'll see what they have to say...

EDIT: I'd like to stress that despite this format-debacle, I DO still think this is an excellent album. I listened to it non-stop when it was on Spotify a while back, and I got a good feel for it. Anathema seem to have evolved again, and the result is splendid.

EDIT2: Got a reply from Burning Shed! They were very friendly, as I've come to expect of them, and they apologized for the problem, saying they didn't know there was no DTS on the disc until after pre-orders had shipped. They have now changed the description on the site:
https://www.burningshed.com/store/kscope/product/222/3624/
They also said they'd send along my remarks to Kscope.

Of course, this doesn't magically bring a higher quality mix into existence, and people who pre-ordered still won't get what they thought they'd be getting, but I'm hoping this'll at least help send a message. I expressly told them I didn't want to send back my copy because I want the album regardless of format, but for those of you who think this is a dealbreaker, I can't imagine they can refuse a refund based on the false information they provided...

Last edited:
I contacted Burningshed and was informed they posted information supplied by Kscope in good faith. I returned my order unopened for a full refund. Emails to Kscope may or may not help but a flood of returns WILL get their attention. I will purchase the Redbook CD and play it with PLLx and get the same results as what they offered, maybe better.

Personally, I went to the Kscope website and clicked the "Contact Us" header at the bottom. This is the address that popped up:
[email protected]

The "design" part makes me suspect it might go to the webmaster instead of the people in charge, but I'm hoping they'll pass it along.

That was the mail address I used and within 24 hours had a response from the production manager Richard Beeching who was appologetic about the 05ric issue saying they were let down by the authoring house.
Seems they then proceeded to use the same author again who with all the respect in the world would appear to be B**!!*cks at the job.

Hello. ATTENTION TO ANYONE INVOLVED- This is B#LSH##!!!!! What the heck are we supposed to do with this thing!??!???!? And HEY BALLDROPPER!- Send everyone an email as to what's going on- STAT! Thanks. Sigh.

I've sent kscope an email and will attempt to return mine as well when it arrives (should be any day). Very disappointing after the incredible "We're Here Because We're Here" DVD-A. I hear the music on Weather Systems is just as good too. A missed opportunity by KScope.

Brad

I received my copy last night. I'll be keeping it despite the annoying mislabelling and the mediocrity of Dolby Digital. I need to spend some time with it, but my first impressions are that the music and mix (particularly the mix) are not quite as good as WHBWH. I think the music will reward multiple listens however.

I'm keeping mine. But I've complained asking for a discount - given the false advertising & labeling. Burning Shed has passed it on to KScope.

At a minimum, hopefully they learn for next time and use Opus Productions!!!!!

I like the music, so I'm keeping mine. The bass boomed somewhat and there was some nice use of vocal harmonies in the rears. Then I put on Fear of Blank Planet and I turned the volume up!

Just got mine....

Interesting to note that the Disc is PAL - and only 197M in size!!!! :yikes

Is it PAL for the people who have it in the U.S. of A??

I got this response form Burning Shed:

"....We've commented strongly to KScope that next time they give us information it absolutely must be totally accurate and that ideally the enhanced listening should be via DVD-A or at least DTS.
That's about as much as we can do from the fans end - I think they realise not everyone is happy to say the least....."

Hello. Thanks, Burning Shed, for passing the buck. I kept it- didn't want the aggravation of sending back overseas, getting refund, etc. The mix is nowhere near the worst 5.1 ever; who's expecting a Steven Wilson caliber 5.1 mix form someone who isn't Steven Wilson??!?!?!??! Music hasn't hit me yet compared to their previous. I'll give it some time. I completely skip the middle-ish track, because the bass is just too overwhelming (and thankfully not a favorite track). And let's not forget how the band got screwed, also. Thanks.

Just got mine....

Interesting to note that the Disc is PAL - and only 197M in size!!!! :yikes

Is it PAL for the people who have it in the U.S. of A??

Dolby stereo, dolby surround - talk about a nasty job.
I'd be embarrassed to put out a disc like that.
A lot of people may well have issues with it if it is PAL only.......ah well.

Neil You know how it is you pay peanuts you get monkeys

If you want the best you have to pay a bit extra.

Sadly another cliche here but 'reputations is hard to get and easy to loose'.

I think K-scope really need to look hard at what they are doing.

FYI - No Dullby stereo even... just Dullby surround..

This is a huge let down. For one, both the Stereo CD and Dolby Digital 5.1 are mastered incredibly poorly. This thing has been brick walled to the nth degree, and the bass is out of control. It's a huge shame because the music really does NOT lend it self to this kind of treatment, at all. It sounds utterly awful.

I wonder if they even listened to this thing before they released it.

Big disappointment because the album it self is wonderful. The sound quality makes it hard to digest though...

I ordered the vinyl edition of the album too. I'm hopeful that it was mastered differently... I'll find out later today.

Back