Anathema - Weather Systems (limited edition CD/DVDA)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ge Someone

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Burning Shed just announced:
We can confirm Anathema 'Weather Systems" digibook version WILL be a 2 disc set including 5.1 DVDA disc. Hurrah! pre-order link
If you have preordered this already, your digibook version will now automatically include the 5.1 disc.

That would be good news. I hope this time they got DVD-A right :eek: but at least a 5.1 surround mix is a good start. If anyone happens to find more details about who mixed, who authored, please share that information.

Burning Shed stated over there who's produced and mixed album.
Produced and mixed by by 5 times Norwegian Grammy nominated Christer-Andre Cederberg (Animal Alpha, In the Woods...) and featuring Lee Douglas in a more prominent role, Danny Cavanagh has said of Weather Systems, "It feels like we're at a creative peak right now, and this album reflects that. Everything from the production to the writing to the performances are a step up from our previous work."
here is a link to youtube for the song "The Beginning and the End"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKIQGpl0NiY

Neil - Are you able to confirm that Opus Productions is authoring the DVD-A, (or not :()?

Burning Shed just announced:

That would be good news. I hope this time they got DVD-A right :eek: but at least a 5.1 surround mix is a good start. If anyone happens to find more details about who mixed, who authored, please share that information.
Was there something wrong with the previous DVD-A (We're here because we're here)? Sounds fine to me and one of my favourite surround albums; the last track Hindsight is one I return to a lot. I've pre-ordered Weather Systems.

Was there something wrong with the previous DVD-A (We're here because we're here)? Sounds fine to me and one of my favourite surround albums; the last track Hindsight is one I return to a lot. I've pre-ordered Weather Systems.

The comment ( I presume) refers to the new Gavin Harrison/05Ric album which was supposed to be DVD-A, but was in fact rerleased as a plain old DVD (DTS - no MLP).

Was there something wrong with the previous DVD-A (We're here because we're here)?
No that was excellent. The DVD-A announced before this one was Gavin Harrison & 05ric - The Man Who Sold Himself. It turned out to be a DVD-V with DTS 96/24. Don't know who's mistake that was, not Burning Shed's I guess.

edit: you have a faster keyboard than I LizardKing

Last edited:
OMG, one day later Burning Shed has this to say
Please note: This is not DVD-Audio (6-channel surround, uncompressed), but DVD-Audio/Video (5.1 surround with DTS data compression). Both formats are capable of rendering stereo audio at fidelity higher than CD, but for multi-channel surround, DVD-Audio/Video requires compression, while DVD-Audio can render up to six channels of uncompressed audio at high bit- and sample-rates.

A bit confusing, because this means it is not a DVD-A, but a DVD-V with DTS 5.1 (and maybe uncompressed stereo). A real DVD-A/V is a hybrid with both lossless 5.1 (MLP) on the DVD-A part and lossy 5.1 (DTS,DD) on the DVD-V part and possibly lossless stereo on both.

I am glad however they cleared this up as best as they probably can, so we know what to expect. It seems the days of (commercial) DVD-A are almost over. It's either BD or DTS-DVD now. The King Crimson 40th anniversary series may be the only thing left (after the (incomplete) Quadraphonia DVD-A).

Last edited:
Too bad. I'll still buy it because I like Anathema, and properly mixed DTS can still be pretty good. Although, I don't expect it to be as good as the SW mixed We're Here Because We're Here DVDA.

...It seems the days of (commercial) DVD-A are almost over. It's either BD or DTS-DVD now. The King Crimson 40th anniversary series may be the only thing left (after the (incomplete) Quadraphonia DVD-A).
I hope Djabe Update 5.1 DVDA won't be the last DVD-audio album which was released outside the UK.

It is NOT DVD-A
This is a lie, and a breach of the trades descriptions act as it carries the DVD-Audio/Video trademark.
See this warning on Snapper site

This includes the audio CD and a DVD-AV with 5.1 surround sound mix.

Please note: This is not DVD-Audio (6-channel surround, uncompressed), but DVD-Audio/Video (5.1 surround with DTS data compression). Both formats are capable of rendering stereo audio at fidelity higher than CD, but for multi-channel surround, DVD-Audio/Video requires compression, while DVD-Audio can render up to six channels of uncompressed audio at high bit- and sample-rates.

It is utter bollocks, of course - DVD-A/V requires, by DVD Forum rules and DVD Book standards, content in the Audio_TS as well as the Video_TS.
I urge you all to write in to Snapper and complain about this mis-selling....

this seems like quite often misuse which are very confusing even for those
who's familiar with DVD-Audio format. why they don't use in description sort
of Audio DVD which can distinguish DVD-Video as an audio only DVD without
anything in AUDIO_TS directory. at least such abreviation (ADVD) already
have been in use on internet for many years and many people know what it means.

this seems like quite often misuse which are very confusing even for those
who's familiar with DVD-Audio format. why they don't use in description sort
of Audio DVD which can distinguish DVD-Video as an audio only DVD without
anything in AUDIO_TS directory. at least such abreviation (ADVD) already
have been in use on internet for many years and many people know what it means.

It's not misuse - it is sophistry.
The DVD Forum states that DVD-Audio/Video is content on both _TS forms.
It's a DVD-V with DTS. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's not misuse - it is sophistry.
The DVD Forum states that DVD-Audio/Video is content on both _TS forms.
It's a DVD-V with DTS. Nothing more, nothing less.

sure, but it can be without video, but still pictures only and audio streams.
so it's can't be considered as a DVD-Video in usual, wide spread meaning for
DVD-Video disc. there lots of complains in regard of such cases on amazon,
when folks expected video concerts but instead received audio with still pictures.

sure, but it can be without video, but still pictures only and audio streams.
so it's can't be considered as a DVD-Video in usual, wide spread meaning for
DVD-Video disc. there lots of complains in regard of such cases on amazon,
when folks expected video concerts but instead received audio with still pictures.

I think if someone were to describe something as, say, 24/96 DTS DVD-V, it'd be entirely reasonable for an educated consumer to understand what the item they're purchasing is if there's no otherwise mention of, say, an attached concert or something.

I think if someone were to describe something as, say, 24/96 DTS DVD-V, it'd be entirely reasonable for an educated consumer to understand what the item they're purchasing is if there's no otherwise mention of, say, an attached concert or something.

ok. i'm educated consumer but still not getting in such case it is DTS 96/24 with still pictures
or live concert video, supplied with DTS 96/24 audio stream?

the EMI perhaps most neutral in their marking, as they are using DVD logo without mentioning
neither audio or video underneath. albeit this don't give much info but at least do not contradict
to DVD-Audio or DVD-Video standarts.

It is NOT DVD-A
This is a lie, and a breach of the trades descriptions act as it carries the DVD-Audio/Video trademark.
See this warning on Snapper site

It is utter bollocks, of course - DVD-A/V requires, by DVD Forum rules and DVD Book standards, content in the Audio_TS as well as the Video_TS.
I urge you all to write in to Snapper and complain about this mis-selling....
Maybe they updated the site since your post Neil but the pre-order link now clearly states that this is a DVD-V. As before, to prevent any chance of confusion, they state that this is not a DVD-Audio and explain the difference between the 2 formats.

ok. i'm educated consumer but still not getting in such case it is DTS 96/24 with still pictures
or live concert video, supplied with DTS 96/24 audio stream?

the EMI perhaps most neutral in their marking, as they are using DVD logo without mentioning
neither audio or video underneath. albeit this don't give much info but at least do not contradict
to DVD-Audio or DVD-Video standarts.

If this is a band's new album, and there is no concert or tour associated with it, and no mention anywhere of "Additional concert footage recorded live on....", then why would any reasonable consumer assume concert footage?

It doesn't even have to be a new album. Say it's a reissue of an album. No mention of concert footage, but mention of a 24/96 surround mix, should only mean one thing.

If this is a band's new album, and there is no concert or tour associated with it, and no mention anywhere of "Additional concert footage recorded live on....", then why would any reasonable consumer assume concert footage?

It doesn't even have to be a new album. Say it's a reissue of an album. No mention of concert footage, but mention of a 24/96 surround mix, should only mean one thing.

i saw your point. you don't got mine.
of course nice, detailed description would do the best. problem arise that mainly there aren't such descriptions.
it can be band not known to me or anyone else thus i have no idea what is their discography or tour's history.
typical let say: band pink crap "live in shit town" DVD-Audio 5.1 surround DTS 96/24, advanced stereo, extra shit.
that's all.
now be guess, what in the hell they are selling - DVD-Audio, DVD-Video with audio only (but lossy in surround mix),
DVD-Video with live video???
there are some categories: LP, CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, etc.
nobody's putting an CD into category of LP or SACD into category of DVD-Audio. but go to amazon or any other
similar retailer and type the search for DVD-Audio. you'll get very long list of thousands titles from which less
than 10% actually will be DVD-Audio.
in regards of marking, there are none to differentiate the live sound recording from live video. DTS can be in both.
thus perhaps labels should adopt some marking to distinct such DVD with audio only as a main content, from DVD-Video
and DVD-Audio

Maybe they updated the site since your post Neil but the pre-order link now clearly states that this is a DVD-V. As before, to prevent any chance of confusion, they state that this is not a DVD-Audio and explain the difference between the 2 formats.
There's been a lot of backtracking then. My email confirmation:

Thank you for ordering from Burning Shed

You have ordered these item(s):

Anathema - Weather Systems (limited edition CD/DVDA in digibook preorder)

Followed by:

The following items will be sent separately:

1 x Anathema - Weather Systems (limited edition CD/DVD-AV in digibook preorder)

And now the website simply states it's a DVD-V

Back