eBay "Shockers" discussion (formerly Shocker Log)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the highly desirables.... 5 days to go and already over $100...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290744718438?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619&autorefresh=true#ht_500wt_1416

crazy..

I can't believe I just waltzed into the Virgin Megastore all those years ago and picked if up out the rack at retail price (£14) and now it is so insanely rare and sought after. It is an absolutely wonderful album and the quad mix and fidelity are amazing (despite the reported swapped rear channels) but come on.. is a "glorified CD" ever worth hundreds of dollars?

Also, I've never been able to get even a rough "guesstimate" out of anyone, even here on QQ, as to how many copies of the Sony single layer Multichannel SACDs like this were pressed?

Either they were very limited, just a few thousand copies - and so demand outstrips supply..?

..or there are warehouses sitting on piles of these (clueless as to what they are, or well aware, hence values being driven up and up..who knows!?)

..or they were pressed in healthy numbers but were returned from stores unsold, destroyed, or something!?

I bought that last year for $140. I thought I was being ripped off.

Its rare alright. Sarah is definitely catching up with The Scorpions. Moment Of Glory SACD.

let's be frank, $140 for a solitary CD (no matter how "fancy"!) is bordering on the immoral.

$778 is just outrageous!

The Scorpions SACD is beyond even that, words can't describe.. there's one up on amazon right now, 'used'.. yours for €1,200.

these things will be literally worth their weight in gold if prices continue to escalate..!

let's be frank, $140 for a solitary CD (no matter how "fancy"!) is bordering on the immoral.
!
Yeah I know.
It just appeared on Amazon.co.uk suddenly, and my reflex action took over. $140 poorer in a few seconds.

I saw a few (columbia single layer) and bought some in the stores over here when they came out ( Miles Davis, Brubeck, David Bowie Heathen etc.....)

Its just they are desirable... I think more of these got pressed than say Scorpions - Moment of Glory...

Yeah I know.
It just appeared on Amazon.co.uk suddenly, and my reflex action took over. $140 poorer in a few seconds.

don't get me wrong you did amazingly well, given that it's now fetching nearly $800..!!

it's just a bit bonkers, isn't it!? i try to keep a sane limit of about £20-£30 now on these OOP SACDs & DVDAs and bide my time til it happens. if it never does, it's a shame.. but that's life eh! Can't win 'em all..! :)

I saw a few (columbia single layer) and bought some in the stores over here when they came out ( Miles Davis, Brubeck, David Bowie Heathen etc.....)

Its just they are desirable... I think more of these got pressed than say Scorpions - Moment of Glory...

I wonder how many (or rather, few!!) Scorpions SACDs actually got made...?? Mmmm.. ;)

Like most of what I own, I bought my DVD-A's and SACD's when they hit the streets. I bought everything I was remotely interested in. I wish I'd had the money to buy 10 or 20 of each. Some of the ones I'm marginally interested in, I got used at $5 - $8.

Like most of what I own, I bought my DVD-A's and SACD's when they hit the streets. I bought everything I was remotely interested in. I wish I'd had the money to buy 10 or 20 of each. Some of the ones I'm marginally interested in, I got used at $5 - $8.

I did that as well for most of my discs.

Even when I put something on e-bay, I've never gotten over $85 for any of it even
though I've seen stuff I have go for hundreds.
I got $65.00 for my Belafonte In Carnegie... nowhere near the $170 some odd the last one went for.

I have a notice up at used stores for stuff, and the good will stores too. I see people finding good stuff all the time.

I did that as well for most of my discs.

Even when I put something on e-bay, I've never gotten over $85 for any of it even
though I've seen stuff I have go for hundreds.
I got $65.00 for my Belafonte In Carnegie... nowhere near the $170 some odd the last one went for.
The guys who make the money from SACDs avoid the auctions, place it under "Buy It Now" and bide their time. The Brightman SACD was "Buy It Now" at £500.

The guys who make the money from SACDs avoid the auctions, place it under "Buy It Now" and bide their time. The Brightman SACD was "Buy It Now" at £500.

isn't it ludicrous..!? I can't fathom how someone would want a cd that much.. let alone how they fund such madness..!!

more and more on eBay auctions I find after very little activity/bidding, I'm getting regularly "sniped" last minute, often just by just small amounts (50 cents outbid in last seconds happened again earlier today) and so "buy it now" is increasingly becoming my only option on eBay .. but how can people with real world incomes compete when there are those out there with £500 to spend on what is essentially a cd..?

oh yes Linda..! same here.

so many times, back in the day, especially with DVDA, I'd pick one up at retail price, it would be one of just 1 or 2 copies at most.. but there were exceptions. things like the LZ HTWWW, there were 3 copies in Virgin that day.. I only needed one. oh how I now wish I'd bought all 3.. but then these things weren't fetching the insane prices they do now!

hindsight ain't what it used to be!

...hindsight ain't what it used to be!

Fred, you sound just like:
70787_01_lg.jpg

Amazing prices. If I had to pay a lot of $ for a Surround SACD - Ship Ahoy by the O'Jays would be worth it.

But the other SACDs mentioned here - Scorpions, Midnight Sugar and Sara Brightman? I can't see it.

Back