eBay "Shockers" discussion (formerly Shocker Log)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not too shabby for a dead fomat.

With the quad reels I often wonder what the motivation is for the buyer. Are they an avid collector who actually listens to the reels? Are they collectors who just have to have them and they get placed on a bookshelf to gather dust? Or, are they folks who want to digitally preserve these recordings and the attraction is that the quad reels are the closest thing to a four channel master that exists?

With the quad reels I often wonder what the motivation is for the buyer. Are they an avid collector who actually listens to the reels? Are they collectors who just have to have them and they get placed on a bookshelf to gather dust? Or, are they folks who want to digitally preserve these recordings and the attraction is that the quad reels are the closest thing to a four channel master that exists?

I wonder about that too. If buying to listen, they could be simply chasing the purest sound. I saw this tape club last year, it doesn't appear to be active, but check it out -- $500 per tape! There is also information on the site about getting actual mastering decks to play them on. http://www.tapeproject.com/

Some folks are motivated simply by the rarity if things. If you could buy them at the corner drugstore, they wouldn't want them. Although I own hundreds of rarities, few were rare when I bought them. I'm in it for the music, not "stamp collecting." Other folks are chasing fidelity. Some folks may be motivated by nostalgia for old technology. There again, if it's better, it's what I want. New isn't automatically better, but neither is old. Or, analog vs. digital.

It amazes me how much dough some people have, even in a bad economy.

The Tape Project is real and quite alive. At the high end audio shows, they are used regularly by exhibitors who want to demo their stratospherically priced gear with the best source material.

As an audiophile in my late 50's, and the owner of a Tascam 44 semi-pro reel to reel deck, I can attest to the potential fidelity of the format. While my deck is not festooned with the tube electronics available from the Tape project, I am able to get some marvelous sound onto tape when I use a quality microphone and mic pre-amp.

The Tape Project re-masters analog (and a few digital) recordings from the studio source tapes, and releases first generation copies at 15 ips. They take great care in the process to make sure that all of the studio master tapes are played back (for creation of the new master) on machines that have been set up exactly as the master tapes were originally recorded.

The tape project also sells rebuilt tape playback machines and offers rebuilds of Technics RS-1500 and Otari MX-5050 tape machines. These machines are not refurbished; the results are better than new specifications.

While I haven't personally heard any of these tapes or machines, nor could I afford them, if I win the lotto, I'm heading there to buy!

The Tape Project is real and quite alive. At the high end audio shows, they are used regularly by exhibitors who want to demo their stratospherically priced gear with the best source material.

As an audiophile in my late 50's, and the owner of a Tascam 44 semi-pro reel to reel deck, I can attest to the potential fidelity of the format. While my deck is not festooned with the tube electronics available from the Tape project, I am able to get some marvelous sound onto tape when I use a quality microphone and mic pre-amp.

The Tape Project re-masters analog (and a few digital) recordings from the studio source tapes, and releases first generation copies at 15 ips. They take great care in the process to make sure that all of the studio master tapes are played back (for creation of the new master) on machines that have been set up exactly as the master tapes were originally recorded.

The tape project also sells rebuilt tape playback machines and offers rebuilds of Technics RS-1500 and Otari MX-5050 tape machines. These machines are not refurbished; the results are better than new specifications.

While I haven't personally heard any of these tapes or machines, nor could I afford them, if I win the lotto, I'm heading there to buy!

scratch17,
I agree completely. I'm glad someone else has run across this. Digital has to work so hard to get to where good analog starts.

Wow! I actually bought it for $19.99 when it came out.
My Mother in law loves Belafonte (I do too...) and she was looking for this.
She had the old reel to reel tape but the SACD has more tracks.

But $113.00?? Dafug???

Are you able to A/B the SACD to the reel? Like Bob, I bought it for cheap when it came out. I never thought the fidelity that bad, but what the hell do I know? With as much as I buy, it becomes difficult to listen to any individual title very often. :rolleyes:

Wow! I actually bought it for $19.99 when it came out.
My Mother in law loves Belafonte (I do too...) and she was looking for this.
She had the old reel to reel tape but the SACD has more tracks.

But $113.00?? Dafug???

Wow - I may have expected something like that for the quad reel to reel version but not a stereo re-release.

BLOODY HELL..!!

"Time to...." give up collecting these things!?

Since when has a CD been worth $778 dollars!? What's so special about this one!? Is it ultra rare?

It's crazy.. the people who pay these prices must have more money than sense!!
I bought that last year for $140. I thought I was being ripped off.

Its rare alright. Sarah is definitely catching up with The Scorpions. Moment Of Glory SACD.

Last edited:
Back