Beatles - 10 Favorite Tracks - What's Yours?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
Most people own some Beatles albums. Being a rabid collector, I own the various Beatles albums at least 7 times over. Admittedly, this thread is an argument starter. Please list your 10 favorite Beatle tracks. What pressing, or in some cases mix, is your favorite (optional)? Also optional, list whether that pressing is an album, single, EP, CD or DVD-A. Highly relevant, though optional, here is to indicate whether it is mono, 2ch or 5.1. Kindly limit your choices to officially released tracks No bootlegs, please.

We were finally graced with the Beatles in 5.1, albeit with radically new mixes/segues on the Love album. Fantastic! Many tracks are also complete or partial in 5.1 on the Anthology DVD/LD/VHS box set. Perhaps the new owners of EMI might co-opt George Martin and Son to remix all the albums in 5.1, as they did with their versions on Love. Early albums and singles would be a challenge, since most are 3ch masters, some are mono. I can dream, can't I?

Here are my faves:

1- All You Need is Love - 2ch German OOP LP of Magical Mystery Tour, which is the ONLY stereo LP in REAL STEREO!
2- You've Got to Hide Your Love Away - 2ch OOP LP of Help (original mix), Mobile Fidelity 1/2 speed mastered, US distributed, pressed in Japan
3- A Day in the Life - 2ch OOP LP of Sgt. Pepper, Mobile Fidelity 1/2 speed mastered, US distributed, pressed in Japan
4- Penny Lane - 2ch US Rarities OOP LP with trumpet solo at the end
5- Strawberry Fields Forever - 2ch German OOP LP of Magical Mystery Tour, which is the ONLY stereo LP in REAL STEREO!
6- Something - 2ch OOP LP, Abbey Road, Mobile Fidelity 1/2 speed mastered, US distributed, pressed in Japan
7- Things We Said Today - 2ch OOP LP of A Hard Day's Night, Mobile Fidelity 1/2 speed mastered, US distributed, pressed in Japan
8- It's Only Love - 2ch OOP LP of Help (original mix), Mobile Fidelity 1/2 speed mastered, US distributed, pressed in Japan
9- Hey, Bulldog - 2ch CD of Yellow Submarine (soundtrack, NOT songtrack) 2009 Remaster
10- We Can Work it Out - 2ch CD of Past Masters (2CD), 2009 Remaster (originally a non-album single in UK, first CD release: Past Masters 2)

2, 3, 6, 7 & 8 were sold individually, and in Beatles: the Collection, both OOP. 9 & 10 available individually and in the Beatles' Stereo CD Box (2009).

Although some of these tracks appear on Love in 5.1, the songs are mixed and segued together. Love is FANTASTIC. Until the original versions are released in 5.1, I prefer listening to them in 2ch stereo. Blasphemy in this forum, as well as for a surroundaholic like myself. Don't shoot me.

Bonus: Favorite Beatles Album, including compilations. Again, no boots, please. My vote is:
Abbey Road, 2ch OOP LP, Mobile Fidelity 1/2 speed mastered, US Distributed, Pressed in Japan

Nothing you can know that can't be known.

I grew up waiting for each new Beatles album to come out (in real time) after I bought my first Beatles LP in 65 or so. Bought everything Apple, bought the solo stuff (good and bad), and almost every "collectable" and trinket that came out by them.

At this point in my life, my grey matter has been so saturated with Beatles stuff that I don't even need to hear the music played because I can play it all in my head. I rarely play it anymore, maybe an occasional tune when I think of it, but I don't think I would ever need to hear an entire Beatles album again unless it was released in 5.1 of course.

One of the sad things for me about growing old is that the music I loved, I just don't feel the need to hear it again and again. Songs that meant a lot to me I now avoid when I hear them on the radio or elsewhere. I don't know if others feel the same way, but except for a nostalgic moment or two, the old stuff that is so great is just not something I look forward to listening to again.

That being said, I really can't answer this question. Sorry Linda.

since you have all the good stuff, Ms. QL no wonder you still enjoy them. I like the less popular :
Rubber soul- all of it
HDN- mono version is best. most all of it
and of course Love album. I too grow tired often of it but still enjoy the "older" stuff. I wasn't one to chase the Beatles all that much.
I never went to see HDN, (in fact have still not sat thru all of it.)
did go to see Help, but only bought Help and St Peppers & RS. I came to like them more a bit later.
I was chasing the Kinks, Stones-etc instead

In no particular order:

Eleanor Rigby
Come Together
In My Life
Across the Universe
Happiness is a Warm Gun
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Here, There, and Everywhere
Got to Get You Into My Life
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
I've Just Seen a Face

The mono HDN has a tighter, more solid sound than the stereo, without question. I prefer the stereo, though it has a rather odd mix.

BTW: the reason I didn't list any tracks from Love isn't the mix, it's stellar. I do prefer the songs in their original form.

Jon, I'm sorry you feel that way. Certainly, that is your right. In the last 40 years, I haven't listened to radio, although I was a DJ in college. Classic rock radio is so repetitive and has a tight playlist of dusty hits. It's the biggest reason that I have amassed a large collection. That way, I can program myself. I love most of the classic rock hits. If I were to listen to radio, I would have had my fill of the same songs repeated every day or few hours. Variety of songs and genres is what has kept many albums like the Beatles' fresh for me. C'est la vie.

since you have all the good stuff, Ms. QL no wonder you still enjoy them. I like the less popular :
Rubber soul- all of it
HDN- mono version is best. most all of it
and of course Love album. I too grow tired often of it but still enjoy the "older" stuff. I wasn't one to chase the Beatles all that much.
I never went to see HDN, (in fact have still not sat thru all of it.)
did go to see Help, but only bought Help and St Peppers & RS. I came to like them more a bit later.
I was chasing the Kinks, Stones-etc instead

Way too difficult a quest, this one. When I saw the title of the thread, the first thing that popped into my head was While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Eric's near perfect guitar work. But if loved for the guitar work, does it disqualify it at as a 'Beatles' song? Next, the intro of A Day In The Life comes to mind. I love the acoustic piano with the 'room' sound on it. Sublime. I always loved the intro to Michelle. A beautiful progression and amazing harmony for a bunch of young kids. Mostly, I think my favourite would be a Hello Goodbye but most of the material released as singles just prior to Sgt Peppers is near perfect. Strawberry Fields Forever is brilliant as is All You Need Is Love. Julia is very pretty and The Long and Winding Road is a wonderful tune. If I keep going I'll probably quote most of their tunes and be the opposite of the line in Frankie Lee and Judas Priest where "Nothing is revealed."

I've spent some time thinking about the state of radio recently. While you'll always here folks in this kind of arena say things like "radio isn't what it was 20 years ago" or whatnot, a lot of that was usually related to changing tastes, age, eras, etc. We're at the point, though, where radio really no longer resembles what radio was even 10-15 years ago.

I can't speak for smaller markets, but I can tell you, just from listening, that everything has changed, from how disc jockeys are utilized to how rotations are done. There are probably fewer local DJ's on the radio than ever before. Ryan Seacrest is on Z100 here in NYC, but it's obvious that Seacrest is either just broadcasting from out in LA (where he's probably on as well), or has pre-taped his between-song spots. Who knows what other cities claim to have him on their station. I remember, in the 80's, stations being careful not to play a song in heavy rotation more than once every two hours. There are zero qualms about playing the same song twice in a half hour period now. The playlists, as well as focus of each station, have narrowed so much, that crossover is difficult.

If anything, I can imagine smaller markets not having issues like this.

Linda mentioned classic rock radio, and I've been turning more to classic rock radio in the past few weeks since pop's ben especially bad these past few months and the lone "all rock" station in NYC switched over to FM Talk Radio. While, sure, it's enjoyable, the only difference between classic rock radio now and classic rock radio 25 years ago is that they allowed Nirvana into the room in order to somewhat evolve. Other than that, it's the same songs. Don't get me wrong, as they're great songs, but this more resembles some type of time capsule that remains buried underground for 200 years than something that actually evolves over time. Adult Alternative stations that used to play "the hits of the 60's, 70's, and today..." now play "the hits of the 80's, 90's, and today...." Classic rock, though? Barely making that shift. Not right, and probably leads to what Jon is talking about as to hearing the same songs one too many times.

The one lone "all rock" station in NYC actually made that shift, playing Zeppelin, the Pixies, AND, say, MGMT. It's gone now, though, replaced by a talk radio format that's sinking like a rock in the ratings. That's sad. Other than the sometimes-bizzare 90's corporate rock fixation it often has (no, I DON'T need to hear Tonic or Puddle of Mudd. thank you), it's stations like that which stand the best chance of actually pushing new, somewhat old, and really old rock music.

I don't want to help this thread go completely off track after only 7 posts but, I'll just add my 2 cents worth - the marginalization of terrestrial radio as a form of music delivery mirrors that of traditional music retail - radio has Clear Channel and retail has Walmart - it's reducing popular taste to the highest common denominator. Playlists vs Product selection. It started 20 years ago - Mass Merchants were just beginning to flex their muscle as music companies were starting to look for alternative markets to keep the boogie rollin - at the time, Minneapolis was corporate music buying Valhalla - Musicland, Target & Best Buy (and a side visit to Electric Fetus just to maintain your indie bona fides). Target wouldn't even consider carrying your titles unless they were selling a minimum of 50,000 units and you better have had the facts to back it up (and the price too!). It was just a sharp decline from there - Musicland, once the standard bearer for corporate music retail sank by it's own over-bloated, old school crony induced weight. After visiting Best Buy you needed to take a shower because in order to have a successful visit, well let's just say you needed a shower afterwards. Walmart required a visit to the God forsaken town of Amarillo, TX where Anderson Merchandising controlled all the media purchasing (and still does). What's my point, well music as a primary retail source has disappeared. It is now sold as a commodity item along the shelves with Special K, Crest and Cindy Crawford's affordable women's fashion line. It's all about real estate - return per square foot. Radio is the same - no passion for music just advertising revenue which continues to decline as alternate online media develops forward. So selection shrinks everywhere and the consumer (as we all know too well), either takes the pap that is fed to them (the unfortunate majority) or you actively seek your tunes wherever you can find them (welcome to QQ ;)).

I offered a my personal take on radio on another Quad Linda Poll https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?15098-Memory-Lane-People-Places-Things-I-Miss-MUSIC-RELATED-ONLY&highlight=Scott+Muni

Variety of songs and genres is what has kept many albums like the Beatles' fresh for me. C'est la vie.

That statement sums it up for me also.
But you forgot the Rutles. who can forget "Cheese and Onions"? or "Hold My hand"? I've never seen anyone mention them here. one of my personal favs was "a hard days rut"
and don't pretend you don't remember them either.

Do the Rutles belong in this thread? Probably, because it was ruled that everything on their first album were really Lennon/McCartney songs. Perhaps they really belong in Doubleback Alley!

It HAS been a Hard Day's Rut!

W.C. Fields forever.

Variety of songs and genres is what has kept many albums like the Beatles' fresh for me. C'est la vie.

That statement sums it up for me also.
But you forgot the Rutles. who can forget "Cheese and Onions"? or "Hold My hand"? I've never seen anyone mention them here. one of my personal favs was "a hard days rut"
and don't pretend you don't remember them either.

I feel they belong, only because of the authors who are the Beatles after all.
But only the 1st album and video. can you name the Rutles? ( no cheating!)
I remember 3

I've spent some time thinking about the state of radio recently. While you'll always here folks in this kind of arena say things like "radio isn't what it was 20 years ago" or whatnot, a lot of that was usually related to changing tastes, age, eras, etc. We're at the point, though, where radio really no longer resembles what radio was even 10-15 years ago.

I can't speak for smaller markets, but I can tell you, just from listening, that everything has changed, from how disc jockeys are utilized to how rotations are done. There are probably fewer local DJ's on the radio than ever before. Ryan Seacrest is on Z100 here in NYC, but it's obvious that Seacrest is either just broadcasting from out in LA (where he's probably on as well), or has pre-taped his between-song spots. Who knows what other cities claim to have him on their station. I remember, in the 80's, stations being careful not to play a song in heavy rotation more than once every two hours. There are zero qualms about playing the same song twice in a half hour period now. The playlists, as well as focus of each station, have narrowed so much, that crossover is difficult.

If anything, I can imagine smaller markets not having issues like this.

Linda mentioned classic rock radio, and I've been turning more to classic rock radio in the past few weeks since pop's ben especially bad these past few months and the lone "all rock" station in NYC switched over to FM Talk Radio. While, sure, it's enjoyable, the only difference between classic rock radio now and classic rock radio 25 years ago is that they allowed Nirvana into the room in order to somewhat evolve. Other than that, it's the same songs. Don't get me wrong, as they're great songs, but this more resembles some type of time capsule that remains buried underground for 200 years than something that actually evolves over time. Adult Alternative stations that used to play "the hits of the 60's, 70's, and today..." now play "the hits of the 80's, 90's, and today...." Classic rock, though? Barely making that shift. Not right, and probably leads to what Jon is talking about as to hearing the same songs one too many times.

The one lone "all rock" station in NYC actually made that shift, playing Zeppelin, the Pixies, AND, say, MGMT. It's gone now, though, replaced by a talk radio format that's sinking like a rock in the ratings. That's sad. Other than the sometimes-bizzare 90's corporate rock fixation it often has (no, I DON'T need to hear Tonic or Puddle of Mudd. thank you), it's stations like that which stand the best chance of actually pushing new, somewhat old, and really old rock music.

Growing up in Chicago I listened to WXRT, which remarkably is relatively unchanged since the 70's. It was the only station where you could here the Beatles, Sex Pistols, Richard Thompson, Frank Zappa and Brian Eno in the same hour. I no longer live in Chicago, but I still listen to 'XRT online. They still play the old stuff with some current stuff as well. This is an exact playlist that I listened to today:

Trampled Under Foot - Led Zeppelin
Look Around - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Bizarre Love Triangle - New Order
Give Me One Reason - Tracy Chapman
We Used to Wait - Arcade Fire
The Weight (Live from a 1983 'XRT show) - The Band
Private Life - the Pretenders
Born Alone - Wilco
End of the Line - Traveling Wilburys
Soul Fixin' Man - Luther Allison
Shake It Out - Florence and the Machine
Found Out About You - Gin Blossoms
19th Nervous Breakdown - Rolling Stones

They have been unique for decades and remain to be so. Real radio still exists, at least on 'XRT. I highly recommend you check them out online. Their slogan "Chicago's Finest Rock" couldn't be more apt.

Agreed on 'XRT.
Trivia (2) above: The Flame ! and also The Beach Boys (for a while). To tie this back to quad, The Flame LP lays claim to being the first quad LP, I don't know how accurate that is. Search for The Flames website if interested in a whole bunch of trivia http://www.the-flames.com/ , see the Dynaco Quadrapter, and the last thing on the page is an interview with engineer Stephen W. Desper who talks about mixing through the Hafler 3db system.
Listening to the Flame album, the Rutles is a logical extension and Fataar a good choice.

More trivia: the touring Rutles had Olly Halsall on guitar and John (Admiral) Halsey on drums, what other band were they both in previously?

I got so tied up in the radio discussion in my previous post that I forgot to include my Beatles list. As you can tell by my list, I'm a late period fan. I was also firmly a Stones guy in the Beatles/Stones debates when I was growing up. I still love the Beatles, just not nearly as much as the Stones. In no particular order:

Dear Prudence
Oh! Darling
Hey Jude
Don't Let Me Down
Yer Blues
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Let It Be
Savoy Truffle
Helter Skelter
Get Back

Some great ones, Odys. I prefer the late stuff, too. Nice avatar. I saw him on Sgt.Peppers cover. Oh wait, no that was We're Only Interested in the Money.

Another 2 part trivia question:
1- What's a Savoy Truffle (besides a song, all you smartasses)?
2- What do you have to have pulled out?

Candy - Teeth

OK Quad Linda, I've reconsidered. You've shamed me into compiling this list. It does not mean I'm going to go cue these up for listening anytime soon! :)

SHE LOVES YOU
- I really don't find myself going back to the early Beatles tunes, but this song has such an amazing harmony that I have to listen to it closely when I hear it from time to time. I prefer this single to the Capitol IWTHYH and ISHST which followed and sold many more copies

THINGS WE SAID TODAY
- A McCartney tune before we all started thinking "Lennon tune", "McCartney tune". I think I just like the strummed guitars.

IF I FELL - The day I finally could play this on an acoustic guitar with the proper chords, I was quite pleased with myself, and actually appreciated the song even more. More amazing harmonies.

AND YOUR BIRD CAN SING - Again, the guitar harmony lead. Killer. John Lennon said it was a "toss off" song, one he hardly thought about. Wow. Wish I could do that!

IN MY LIFE - How could someone so young write this song?

I'M ONLY SLEEPING - Keeping an eye on the world going by my window...........

A DAY IN THE LIFE - To think I first heard this when I was in 9th grade. What an eye opener.

HEY BULLDOG - The last Beatles song that was "fun", and you could hear the GENUINE fun.

GOLDEN SLUMBERS/CARRY THAT WEIGHT/THE END - I am a sucker for the ending of Abbey Road

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE - To me, an amazing song and amazing lyrics, although I have no clue as to what it's about

Jon, you are correct! Savoy Truffle is a confection in an English candy assortment marketed under the name Good News. Yes, you will need to have extractions when "the pain cuts through." So, yes teeth is the second part.

I'll give it another 24 hours for someone to correctly guess Barry Whitwom and Rikki Fataar's groups. Then, I'll reveal them if no one guesses correctly.

There are versions of I'm Only Sleeping with verses transposed, though the alternate version is OOP. They are exactly the same take except for that.

In My Life might be #11 on my list. Savoy Truffle and Cry Baby Cry would certainly be in my #'s 12-20.

Back