Beatles - 10 Favorite Tracks - What's Yours?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do the Rutles belong in this thread? Probably, because it was ruled that everything on their first album were really Lennon/McCartney songs. Perhaps they really belong in Doubleback Alley!

It HAS been a Hard Day's Rut!

W.C. Fields forever.

There's an odd little album out there somewhat in the vein of the Rutles but perhaps a bit more whimsical - Two Lips " The Lost Album" by none other than the voice of Homer Simpson, Dan Castellaneta who wrote and sang all the parts - equal bits of John, Paul, George and Ringo - notably present is Jon Brion - west coast scene producer extraordinaire. Definitely worth a listen but admittedly wears thin after a few listens - but fun nonetheless.

My Beatle's Top Ten - although I am privy to many pressings, bootlegs, etc. - they are of little import - the music is a part of my DNA - that's why I think I get anxious listening to Love, as cool as it may be;

We Can Work It Out
I Am The Walrus
For No One
It's Getting Better
Here, There And Everywhere
Because
The End (medley)
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
I Should Have Known Better
Strawberry Fields Forever ( I do love the "Love" version simply for the journey)

Jon, you are correct! Savoy Truffle is a confection in an English candy assortment marketed under the name Good News. Yes, you will need to have extractions when "the pain cuts through." So, yes teeth is the second part.

I'll give it another 24 hours for someone to correctly guess Barry Whitwom and Rikki Fataar's groups. Then, I'll reveal them if no one guesses correctly.

There are versions of I'm Only Sleeping with verses transposed, though the alternate version is OOP. They are exactly the same take except for that.

In My Life might be #11 on my list. Savoy Truffle and Cry Baby Cry would certainly be in my #'s 12-20.

unfair!! you responded immediatly with the rutles names, I know you already knew. But this someone can look up with 24hrs to answer

I thought I answered the Fataar question?? :confused: The other one I cheated and looked up because I had never heard the name before.

I think that, right now, it's "Rain"....
The mono version...it¡s all there, amazing harmonies, crackling guitar, backwards studio trickery , rockin' rhythm...maybe because it was the last song of theirs that I discovered....

Ok I'll weigh in here too as an old guy who watched with his family as the boys showed up on the Ed Sullivan show and secretly liked them despite my parents aghast horror.

Twist and Shout (love John's hoarse given-er his all vocals and Paul's shout out at the end.
Revolution (the single) Son of a B that kicks in hard and harsh.
Love Me Do (the first recorded version with Pete Best-shows their potential, their nervousness, and very clearly that they needed a drummer)
Oh Darling! (sounds like Soul to me)
Because (love the Beach boys harmonies)
Act Naturally (way out there for 1965 cover tunes in a pop market)
If I Fell (The lip synched version on Hard Days Night-looks like they were having fun!)
Yellow Submarine (again fun!)
The Ballad of John and Yoko (happened yesterday;recorded the next day kind of spontanaity)
I Feel Fine (love the buzz!)

ken from northern canada

My apologies, Quadsearcher. You answered the Stig O'Hara/Rikki Fataar question correctly: Beach Boys!?! Bonus points for the Flame. You win a krinkled Q8, which was run over by a car.

Six hours left on the Barry Whitwom answer.

I've met hundreds of famous people. Some were clients. There are only two who were utter jerks: Pete Best and Frank Thomas of the Chicago White Sox. While it's just my opinion (disclaimer), their reputations preceded them.

I thought I answered the Fataar question?? :confused: The other one I cheated and looked up because I had never heard the name before.

Thanks Linda, I'll pass the Q8 on to whoever answers the Halsall & Halsey question!

From the 'Love' DVD-A;
"Strawberry Fields Forever"

From the 2009 remasters Stereo (I have two ears);
"HELP!"
"You've Got To Hide Your Love Away"
"She's Leaving Home"
"In My Life"
"Something"
"Here Comes The Sun"

From the '93 1967-1970 Blue Fatboy
"The Ballad Of John And Yoko"

From the original '87 CD's
"I'll Follow The Sun"
"If I Fell"

Filper, is it the more solid nature of the mono mix that excites you? I've just A/B'd the '87 UK mono (roll-top desk) box mix and '09 Japan mono box mixes. While the '09 is good, has a more open sound and a better high end, the '87 would be my choice. It's a way more solid, albeit more compressed. I wish I could combine them, because I like aspects of each. Still, you're right on the money! The 87's are the winners, at least for the mono mixes. You've taught me something. Thanks.

I so regret parting with my UK Maroon mono LP box. It has the Yellow Sub soundtrack, Abbey Road & Let It Be in "foldover mono" mixes, derived fom the stereo masters. The Japan CD mono box eliminates them altogether. The revised Japan mono Past Masters CD box has new dedicated mono mixes from the Beatles "then new" originals on Yellow Sub. I'd love to A/B the mono LP's, as well. I'll bet it's worth a pile on EBay! Live and learn.

From the original '87 CD's
"I'll Follow The Sun"
"If I Fell"

Filper, is it the more solid nature of the mono mix that excites you?

For the rest of the gang, I explained to Quad Linda in a PM that my picks were only based on the digital copies I have on hand. Linda has an exponentially more massive base than I do pick from.

Rather than get into sound (for the most part), my favorite Beatles tracks are tough to choose, depends on the day, right, there are so many? But here are a few for today, in no order:

1. I Am The Walrus--great remix on LOVE, this has to be among the strangest recordings to ever make the Hot 100. Had it been done by anyone other than the Beatles, probably would have been ignored (after all, the 13th Floor Elevators were ignored after "You're Gonna Miss Me," which was as mainstream as that outfit was gonna get).

2. A Day In The Life--the whole thing in 5.1 would be phenomenal if done right.

3. She Loves You--with all the excitement that Beatlemania was all about, and what captivated us.

4. In My Life--the flip side of Lennon: thoughtful, tender, reflective, honest. But he was was too intense by nature to make a habit of it.

5. And Your Bird Can Sing--love that cascading guitar!

6. It's All Too Much--George's magnum opus to life, transcendentalism, and a preview (who knew it at the time?) of ALL THINGS MUST PASS.

7. Eleanor Rigby--Ornate, dark, abstract, magnificent.

8. There's A Place--was "In My Room" an answer record to this one? No, but it could have been.

9. I've Just Seen A Face--Paulie moving like an express train down the track; how easily he could have been a solo act away from the band.

10. I'll Get You--They got us.

ED :)

Back