AMP:Pioneer QA-800A, Scope:Pioneer SD-1100 & Marantz 20 Tuner:OUR KILLER DEMO SYSTEM

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
We carried Marantz, JVC & Pioneer Quad receivers. Although we sold Sony & Technics, we opted not to carry their Quad receivers. We also had Sony, JVC and Pioneer/Centrex quad compacts for the more budget minded.

This was a fantasy Quad system that was our main Quad demo system in 1973:

Pioneer QA-800A: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GiqSf9s0-FY/TgqEMSbpllI/AAAAAAAAAVo/bkE8SMetk3Y/s1600/IMG_0552.JPG

Pioneer SD-1100 Scope/Test Tone Generator: http://www.classic-audio.com/pioneer/sd1100.html ULTRA-RARE!

Pioneer QA-800A & SD-1100 Stacked: http://www.pioneer-vintage.de/images/im004701.jpg

Marantz Model 20 tuner w/scope: http://www.audio-extasa.home.pl/ebay/MARANTZ/MARANTZ MODEL 20/1 MARANTZ MODEL 20.jpg

Pioneer PL-51A Turntable: http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/1/7/6/3/7/7/webimg/494876786_tp.jpg

Speakers were 4 Altec Voice of the Theaters in wood home cabinets. Sorry, I couldn't find photos of these. VOTT horns w/15" woofers.

Until we switched it our for a Marantz 4400 & Panasonic/Technics SH-3433 scope, we had the QA-800A, SD-1100 scope/test tone generator, Sony SQD-2020, and Marantz 20 tuner mounted in/perched atop our switching island. Obviously, we dug scopes! Quad demo speakers were 4 Altec Voice of the Theaters. A Pioneer PL-51A direct drive turntable, Teac 3340, and JVC-4DD5 also were on that console. We would demo Stereo & Matrix with a Shure M91E, and an Audio Tecnica AT-14 for CD-4. For CD-4, we demoed with the JVC/WEA Promo Quadradisc or Intergalactic Trot - Stardrive/Robert Mason, especially Strawberry Fields.

For 2ch, I often demoed with the great sounding, though highly inaccurate Pioneer CS-63DX: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5281/5290707665_48e049f120_z.jpg

You say you want to listen to test tones? Sure, no problem.

Those were the days, my friend. We thought they'd never end. :banana:

Last edited:
Quad demo speakers were 4 Altec Voice of the Theaters.

could be these?

Altec Valencia 846B-1.jpg

Otto, you're amazing. Yes, the same or similar. As I recall, we used different models for the fronts and rears. The cabinets were both finished wood, not the grey they usually used on the pro models. That way, we got to have two models on display. These things could run off a boombox, I swear. Where did you get the photo? What's the model # in that photo?

Linda, you are so lucky to have experienced all this great stuff first hand back in the day... :). That Pioneer scope is .......sooooooo cool, but....had I been one of your workmates, being the person that I am...major-ing in serial practicality, I would have shouted out....."Hey guys, It's nice, but I won't be able to sleep at night unless we have 4 meters bouncing around for Quad, so were gonna need 2 of them Pioneer Scope thingies"... :D

If you look, the Pioneer scope has a switch to display Quad. Yeah, 2 meters is shabby for Quad. I have stacked SH-3433 scope and SQD-2020 decoder on my main system. What's better than a scope? A scope and 4 VU meters. Still, I don't have the test tone generator that the Pioneer has. The best I can do is the calibration tones on my B&K preamp and HK CD-401 cassette deck.

Linda, you are so lucky to have experienced all this great stuff first hand back in the day... :). That Pioneer scope is .......sooooooo cool, but....had I been one of your workmates, being the person that I am...major-ing in serial practicality, I would have shouted out....."Hey guys, It's nice, but I won't be able to sleep at night unless we have 4 meters bouncing around for Quad, so were gonna need 2 of them Pioneer Scope thingies"... :D

bb860800a.JPGbb800ast.JPG I bougth this 800A amplifier with the original box and owners manual, I bought it a couple of months ago. When I received it I just opened the box and took out the owners manual and took the top foam cover off and the amp was covered by a cloth cover.

I took it out of the box today, and I think I hook it up and see what it sounds like. THe other photo is my Pioneer Quad amp/preamp collection.

I don't even remember this equipment when I bought my first Kenwood KA-8004 amplifier in 1975. I was going to college and not making that much money. It took a while to save up for the Kenwood. It must have been nice to have sold this equipment. I bought mine at Sam Goody's in Woodbridge NJ.

Few stores in Chicago were stocking the Pioneer separates in '73. Even fewer were doing it in '75. Likely that's why you don't remember them. It's nice gear, although many other separates can outperform them, both then and now. The Marantz tuner and Pioneer scope were the coolest parrts of that system. No offense intended.

I realize that these are the best in Quad sound, but it nice to see older well made equipment that I can work on if necessary. I have an 1969 Z28 and a 2000 Z28 6speed convertible. THey both have their place, its nice to have some things new, and some old. I can remember when this was new and not affordable, now its old and cheap compared to collecting artwork, vintage tube amps and cars.

I sometimes think that I could have one really top shelf item versus 30 average, depending on the collection. I try to live in the moment and focus on the positive things I like about it versus the negative. Plus its interesting to have so much equipment and try different combinations. No matter how good the equipment it depends on how well it was recorded. I still like my large advents, I like the sound of 70's era, but depending on how much I spend and where I am going to use it.

If I don't like it, I'll donate it to the thrift store. I am so grateful to have rediscovered 70's audio and tubes, its the golden age for finding this equipment. Its not for everybody, but as long as I am content with it, I don't care what some else thinks about it. I try not to be judgemental of others and as long as they are happy.

Its 4 years since the wife left, the dog died and I lost my job of 18 years within 3 months. Plus that when the housing bubble happened. I was hired back to my old job (I work on medical equipment at a hospital) but on 2nd shift. Thats where I started in 1990 and I feel as if I am coming around for the 2nd time. I don't that much different than I did at 30 or 35, execpt that I have learned so much more and wouldn't want to be 35 again.

I still enjoy a lot of the things that I did in my 20's, except I have to wear glasses to read and I lose them all the time. I also have to motivate myself to get things done, I can be very happy just watching the clouds go by. My daughter just turned 17 and she helps to rekindle my intertests. As I have gotten older I have found so many things that worth investigating. bb789wn.JPG

Back