DVD-Audio Pre-Release List from 2001

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to bump this thread but I had been looking for the list for a few days now. I'd be curious of other announced titles that never saw the light of day like Fleetwood Mac's first album with Nicks/Buckingham as members. I'm just thankful Rumours was released. That's perhaps my favorite DVD-Audio that I own.

Be interested in an SACD list like this too. I remember getting really excited when Hot Fuss by the Killers was announced and then it never was released. Would have made a fantastic SACD.

Dave's list from 2001 does make for some very interesting reading, especially the Tom Petty which I had no idea about. It just seems a shame that there could be so much good Quad/5.1 sitting in the vaults rotting away when it should be out in the wild :confused: C'est la vie.

Being a proof-reading freak I have de-compiled those titles that actually got released:

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill WM
Billy Cobham - Spectrum WM
Bucky Pizzarelli - Swing Live MV
Buena Vista Social Club - Buena Vista Social Club
Carly Simon - No Secrets WM
Stone Temple Pilots - Core WM
Deep Purple - Machine Head WM
Doobie Brothers - The Captain & Me WM
Firesign Theatre - Boom Dot Bust WM
Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - Swingin' for the Fences
Grover Washington Jr. - Winelight WM
Mana - Unplugged WM
Miles Davis - Tutu WM
Neil Young - Harvest WM
R.E.M. - Automatic for the People WM
R.E.M. - Out of Time WM
R.E.M. - Reveal WM
Seal - Seal WM
Talking Heads - Remain in Light WM
Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues WM
The Ultimate DVD Surround Sampler and 5.1 Set-Up Disc MV

Also, those four new albums eventually turned out to be these:

RHCP - By the Way (2002)
Stone Temple Pilots - Shangri-La Dee Da (2001)
Rush - Vapor Trails (2002)
Sugar Ray - Sugar Ray (2001)
A few more would go on this list now (most notably to me Moondance). Maybe some more will trickle out.

Doors, The - Cops in Cars, Topless bars, never saw a Woman so alone
Randy Newman - Loves L.A. even the Freeway Overpasses

I could have sworn I saw these in those fancy tall expensive jewel box cases. These got released, unless I'm on the wrong forum thread and this is about pre-released, not what got released.

By the way, it's taken 18 years for the surround 5.1 and reissued 4.0 program material to get to a respectable place where I can suggest to someone that there is plenty of content and it's worth investing in the extra speakers (not the pre-packaged, tiny satellite 5,1 short-range plastic pos junk), proper AVR, and disc spinner or the later music server built out from PC or Mac with some nice software.

This list 10 years ago was depressing to think what we did not get. But now that list is not so sad or depressing with so many many cool things that we have in our wonderful collections. It was worth hanging in there wasn't it.

I just checked my hand written notes from that time and I noticed:-
Frank Sinatra - September....
'' - ..... w. Jobin
Madonna - Music
'' _ G.H.
Severa EMI's -
Poison - G.H.
Heart - Dreamboat Annie
B-52's = Cosmic.....
Beach Boys -

There are a few others but the penciled notes have faded.........

Obviously this is a tantalising list, but just for the record, it turned out this list wasn't actually an official pre-release list from Warners. I can't be bothered to dig up the post, so I'm paraphrasing from memory here, but from what I remember a German QQ member reported that this list was one that a German WMG marketing rep gave to a German hifi/music journalist before the official launch of the format in Europe, basically as a list of the stuff they hoped to do in the future, hence the handful of mistakes and unnamed 'upcoming albums' etc. So while lots of these titles did come to fruition in the fullness of time (at least during the DVD-A) era, just because something appeared on this list doesn't mean it was worked on, or even started - and I say this as someone who would love nothing more than to have DVD-A's of The Doobie Bros. Minute by Minute, Jean-Luc Ponty's Cosmic Messenger and Christopher Cross's self titled debut album (which was mixed to 16/44.1 PCM and could desperately use a hi-rez upgrade) in my hot little hands.

Obviously this is a tantalising list, but just for the record, it turned out this list wasn't actually an official pre-release list from Warners. I can't be bothered to dig up the post, so I'm paraphrasing from memory here, but from what I remember a German QQ member reported that this list was one that a German WMG marketing rep gave to a German hifi/music journalist before the official launch of the format in Europe, basically as a list of the stuff they hoped to do in the future, hence the handful of mistakes and unnamed 'upcoming albums' etc. So while lots of these titles did come to fruition in the fullness of time (at least during the DVD-A) era, just because something appeared on this list doesn't mean it was worked on, or even started - and I say this as someone who would love nothing more than to have DVD-A's of The Doobie Bros. Minute by Minute, Jean-Luc Ponty's Cosmic Messenger and Christopher Cross's self titled debut album (which was mixed to 16/44.1 PCM and could desperately use a hi-rez upgrade) in my hot little hands.

Thanks for the clarification. I was so depressed when Warner DID pull the plug on those pre~announced titles but now that they were JUST rumors makes the pain .... go away ..... somewhat!

My pain is still deep with the Little Feat titles, love that band.
It is a shame that the only one we have is LittleFeat_KickinItAtTheBarn_Ft.jpg were any of the earlier albums mixed into Quad? I don't think they were. Of the later albums I do like 1988's "Let It Roll" with Craig Fuller on vocals

It is a shame that the only one we have is View attachment 40079 were any of the earlier albums mixed into Quad? I don't think they were. Of the later albums I do like 1988's "Let It Roll" with Craig Fuller on vocals

Depending on how it was mic'd and recorded; the live Waiting For Columbus is a top 10 wish for me. No ambient rears need apply please!

Depending on how it was mic'd and recorded; the live Waiting For Columbus is a top 10 wish for me. No ambient rears need apply please!
If you play it with four speakers (which I do for all stereo content), it's such a three dimensional sounding mix you can tell yourself that it is a surround mix.

Sometimes the mixes are so good, especially live ones, that a surround mix might not gel together quite the same.

But I still have hope "Made in Japan" will appear in 5.12 someday soon. I heard it was mixed into surround. But with the 3CD set, a Super Deluxe, and then a BluRay issue of the album, and yet no surround, it does not give one much hope. The Purple album might be simply too perfect in it's stereo form, and they don't want to mess with it. Personally I'd love to hear it like I was standing between Ritchie and Ian's drums somewhere, or anywhere on stage during those Japanese nights. The multitracks must be just as special as the mixes turned out to be. Not much messing around with the tracks was needed, it all happened just that way.

Btw, the Feat album is loaded up with studio over-dubs, a remix into 5.1 might draw back the Oz's curtain a little too much on that one.

Back