Steven Wilson 09) Lossy vs Lossless codecs/formats

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Clearly the preference for the members here is that all multichannel titles be released in a lossless delivery format and in the highest possible resolution. It would be interesting to know what your experience has been in dealing with labels that release titles in Dolby and/or DVD DTS rather than DVD Audio or Blu Ray (MLP, DTS HD MA, etc). Can you shed some light on what their rationale might be (assuming that there is a rationale). Is it financial, marketing concerns, lack of knowledge or all of the above. I assume that in your different roles as mixer/engineer, producer, artist - you have a unique perspective on this. Much thanks in advance!

Steven, you may be interested in the result of a surround audio comparison test performed by a small group of members of QQ and SurroundSound google group. The result supports the hypothesis that in a blind test human can be capable of telling the differences among unknown original hi-res surround audio and its unknown DTS coded counterparts and of picking the original up as well.

http://groups.google.com/group/surroundsound/browse_thread/thread/786c0bcccd987acc
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...mparison-game!&p=142870&viewfull=1#post142870

Last edited:
Steven, you may be interested in the result of a surround audio comparison test performed by a small group of members of QQ and SurroundSound google group. The result supports the hypothesis that in a blind test human can be capable of telling the differences among unknown original hi-res surround audio and its unknown DTS coded counterparts and of picking the original up as well.

http://groups.google.com/group/surroundsound/browse_thread/thread/786c0bcccd987acc
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?15516-Find-the-original-in-an-audio-comparison-game!&p=142870&viewfull=1#post142870

The hypothesis was never that humans *can't* tell lossless from DTS. It was that it's not typically the case that they do, under normal listening circumstances.

The hypothesis was never that humans *can't* tell lossless from DTS. It was that it's not typically the case that they do, under normal listening circumstances.

Three posts in and this thread has already been driven off a cliff - I have no issue if you guys want to discuss these issues - do it under your own thread - please. Neither of your comments have anything at all to do with the original question.

Three posts in and this thread has already been driven off a cliff - I have no issue if you guys want to discuss these issues - do it under your own thread - please. Neither of your comments have anything at all to do with the original question.
I'm sorry if I might have driven this thread off a cliff. I'm really interested in the answers to your original question generally, and from Mr. Wilson particularly. I wonder if one of the rationales why the labels don't always release surround titles in lossless is what Ssully has just stated: it's not typical that humans can tell lossless from DTS under normal listening circumstances.

I'm sorry if I might have driven this thread off a cliff. I'm really interested in the answers to your original question generally, and from Mr. Wilson particularly. I wonder if one of the rationales why the labels don't always release surround titles in lossless is what Ssully has just stated: it's not typical that humans can tell lossless from DTS under normal listening circumstances.

I understand your point but I think it's a stretch.

Most of these threads do have some sidetalk on them. My assumption is that the original questions will be sent to Steve, and not the entire thread.

i'm the second to this question.
always was frustrated that labels, having lossless surround on the hands, does supply to retailers
the print with lossy streams, when used for release medium perfectly can include lossless part also.
first that come to mind - could be their agenda is to preserve opportunity to cash once more in the
future on the same source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back