The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To say I went to a 'gig' last night would be selling the experience short by a 100 miles!
Last night, I had an experience, and that experience was Sigur Ros!
Tim (timbre4) who sat right next to me last night said it best when he said "Sigur Ros played more than music tonight"
I wholeheartedly agree.
I'm still speechless, and I didn't take any pictures or videos because there's no way any phone videos or pictures would do the experience proper justice.
I was also amazed at how completely respectful the audience was at TPAC last night.
There were only a few times that I saw someone take their phone out to get a quick picture or video, and during some of the most quiet moments, you could hear a pin drop. It was eerie and awesome all at once!
Visually you could argue that no one puts on a better show at that level than them.
They use darkness, light, depth, and height to their advantage to change the visual perspective with each and every song.
I really don't know what else to say except here's their remaining tour dates for the year, and if you're anywhere near where these shows are taking place, go! You will thank me later! ;)
https://sigur-ros.co.uk/tour/

Saw Roger Waters last night... WOW! Absolutly the BEST concert sound I've ever experienced (we were in the middle of the floor close to the sound booth). No ear plugs needed, no distortion (even in the loudest moments), every instrument could be heard clearly, and the surround sound experience was great (the surrounds were used mainly for effects, as on the "Amused To Death" 5.1, but there were definitely musical elements, specifically vocals, back there as well). This may be the first time in 20 years where the live performance sounded better than what I can hear in my living room; I was seriously thinking "I wish my system sounded this good at home"... isn't this how live music should sound... better than any other format?

Fantastic performance and musicianship; when I've seen "The Great Gig In The Sky" performed in the past (by the Roger-less Floyd lineup), it was a series of vocal solos by the singers; last night it was 2 singers screaming/singing/moaning in perfect harmony, and it brought tears to my eyes, it was so beautiful. Dave Kilminster nailed the solos; "Dogs" was a tour de force. The new songs were alright live (the audience used them as a chance to sit down and rest their legs); the rest was Floyd, Floyd, Floyd! The visuals were outstanding in terms of quality and scope; in terms of content...

...the visuals were a non-stop anti-Trump tirade; almost every song was infused with a leftist political agenda, right down to the confetti released during "Comfortably Numb" with the word "RESIST" printed on each piece.

This was probably the Best concert I've ever been to; it would have been my favorite, as well, if Roger wasn't trying to shove partisan politics down the audience's throat throughout.

Highly recommended if you can swing it!

Sunday night (Father's Day), I saw Metallica at Soldier's Field (Chicago Bears home turf) in Chicago. It was sold out, Avenged Sevenfold warmed up and before them a band I can't even remember.

AS was really good. Tight sounding, good tunes. I knew a few of them. Metallica came out and simply blew the place away. WOW!!! All I could do was shake my head in amazement. The bass coming off those wall of speakers was simply astonishing. It was like a punch in your chest. Their presentation for the song ONE is one of the best I've ever seen...felt...or heard. They are top notch, tight, professional and well, loud. Which I knew.

They had 6 very, very large stacks of speakers. I mean, large stacks. Each stack had 25 monitors. :yikes
I tried to take some pictures, but the constant light show made the pictures crappy. They had a KILLER laser presentation. I was in awe, the whole show. Metallica played from about 8:30 till 11.55PM...I think. :)

Sgt. Pepper 50th anniversary concert at the Royal Albert Hall on the 1st of June. Fabulous performance from the Bootleg Beatles and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra ably narrated by Roger McGough. First up was the Birth Of The Beatles symphony composed by Nigel Osborne which covers the Beatles history up to 1967 with narration between sections - it was fun spotting the quotes from assorted Beatles songs interwoven with the music. Next up was Sgt. Pepper complete, with the Bootlegs supported by the orchestra with the orchestral arrangements filling in for the studio effects on the record - a great job of arranging by Nigel Osborne. The final section was tunes associated with the 1967 era Beatles: Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, Baby You're A Rich Man, Eleanor Rigby (pushing the boundaries a bit but if you've got a large orchestra, why not?), Walrus, Fool On The Hill, Hello Goodbye and All You Need Is Love.

All in all, a really fun evening - I just hope someone has the foresight to film one of the performances.;)

Up in Portland, enjoying a flight of local red wines before heading into the hall for the Nick Cave show - really up for this one!

Yesterday I went to the Midsummer Prog festival in Valkenburg. A new festival set in a natural amphitheater. Excellent line up including iamthemorning, Pain of Salvation, Gazpacho and Anathema.

All great performances and a very laid back atmosphere. Well worth repeating, and yesterday the organizer already announced that the second edition will take place next year :)

http://midsummerprog.com

Yesterday I went to the Midsummer Prog festival in Valkenburg. A new festival set in a natural amphitheater. Excellent line up including iamthemorning, Pain of Salvation, Gazpacho and Anathema.

All great performances and a very laid back atmosphere. Well worth repeating, and yesterday the organizer already announced that the second edition will take place next year :)

How did you like Gazpacho? I wish they had some multichannel stuff. :(

A double bill of Tears For Fears / Hall & Oates last night in Boston. Hall & Oates put on a fine enough show, they were backed by the same house band from Daryl's TV show. A real highlight of their set was "Is It a Star" from the criminally overlooked 1974 (Todd Rundgren produced) War Babies album. They haven't played that one in decades, and it really cooked.

Tears For Fears however blew the roof off the place. Roland and Curt are both still at the top of their game. Last night was Curt's 56th birthday. The only drawback was that since it was a double bill, TFF only got 75 minutes, but they really brought the house down in that time. In addition to all the usual suspects they played a few nice choice cuts from Everybody Loves a Happy Ending, a very cool version of "Memories Fade" and an awesome cover of Radiohead's "Creep".

Tears For Fears
Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Secret World
Sowing the Seeds of Love
Advice for the Young at Heart
Everybody Loves a Happy Ending
Change
Mad World
Memories Fade
Creep
Pale Shelter
Break It Down Again
Head Over Heels
Shout

Hall & Oates
Family Man
Maneater
Out of Touch
Say It Isn't So
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
One on One
She's Gone
Sara Smile
Is It a Star
I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)
Rich Girl
Kiss on My List
Private Eyes
You Make My Dreams

I saw that show Saturday in Vegas. It was dynamite! Lambert works. Lambert is very respectful of Freddie's legacy & there are some nice Freddie tribute moments. They played the hits as well as some of my favorite deeper cuts. It gets a 10. :)

July 1 - The Church, July 7 - Verve Pipe, July 8 - Dweezil Zappa QA, July 22 - Moody Blues performing DOFP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a nice line up of gigs to go to, I'll be interested to hear what the Dweezil Zappa gig was like, I'm off up to London in October to see him (y)

July 1 - The Church, July 7 - Verve Pipe, July 8 - Dweezil Zappa QA, July 22 - Moody Blues performing DOFP

That's a nice line up of gigs to go to, I'll be interested to hear what the Dweezil Zappa gig was like, I'm off up to London in October to see him (y)

It'll be interesting since it's billed as a Q&A session and demonstration of Frank's music on the guitar. Slightly different thing!

Back