The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twas fantastic - He had a fullllllllllllllllllllllll band with 3 very awesome back up singers, violin, sax, drummer, keyboards, bass - great guitarist was a full blown show

and here is the thing

Most of the songs were Roxy Music Songs like 15 or more of them - had one encore a few songs. Played all the Roxy faves too.....Yeah he getting older and maybe a lil more breathy but still very very good show.

Thing is Snood thought this was AVONMORE tour...........pretty sure he did not play anything off of it lol:mad:@: had been listening to that album for a few weeks and nothing pretty sure lol -It was pretty much a Roxy Music extravaganza..........beside some of his bigger solo stuff - Slave to Love - You Are like A Hurricane cover - Jealous Guy - ummmmmmmmm maybe a few more

But this was Purely mainly a Roxy Music showcase veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy kooooo and very great band - good 2 hours worth for sure. :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

If ya get a chance..... go seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this show!!!!!:banana::cool::banana::cool::banana::cool:

I am so jealous of you Snood. Sadly the tour is not stopping in Northern California:(

Yeah Looks like only Hollywood or Santa Barbara for Cali :rolleyes:

Yeah the crowd was older - not sold out but kinda close.........seating and people were seated a lot until before and after some songs. Koo relaxed show:cool:

A great gig, the band were really enjoying themselves, good arrangements of songs, and fantastic musicianship as you'd expect. If you get a chance to see ARW do it :upthumb The sound for the first half wasn't brilliant, the sound guy improved it for the second half, but I've seen quite a few bands now at the Motorpoint and its not the best venue from a sound perspective, its like being in an aircraft hanger - though probably better than the old Sophia Gardens where I saw Blue Oyster Cult many years ago (the week before the snow collapsed the roof!).

Off tomorrow (Sunday) to Cardiff to see Anderson, Rabin & Wakeman, should be fun!

Just back from Madeleine Peyroux & Rickie Lee Jones in Dallas. Beautiful performances - both artists playing in trio ensembles. They did not do any songs together. Sadly, the house capacity was 1600 and the sales were 250 tickets!

While I was sad to see them struggling to fill the hall, the small crowd made for an intimate show. The Madeleine trio featured guitarist Jon Herington of Steely Dan (and other) fame.

A night of beautiful music. Would love to see more surround out of both of these women!

Just back from Madeleine Peyroux & Rickie Lee Jones in Dallas. Beautiful performances - both artists playing in trio ensembles. They did not do any songs together. Sadly, the house capacity was 1600 and the sales were 250 tickets!

While I was sad to see them struggling to fill the hall, the small crowd made for an intimate show. The Madeleine trio featured guitarist Jon Herington of Steely Dan (and other) fame.

A night of beautiful music. Would love to see more surround out of both of these women!

Wow! Thanks for telling us about this. I've seen Herrington with Steely Dan, and he's astonishing. I love Rickie Lee jones' music, though I've never had the pleasure of seeing her live. It's insane that so few people came to the show. I see the tour is going through San Francisco this Sunday. I will go (assuming I can get tickets).

Wow! Thanks for telling us about this. I've seen Herrington with Steely Dan, and he's astonishing. I love Rickie Lee jones' music, though I've never had the pleasure of seeing her live. It's insane that so few people came to the show. I see the tour is going through San Francisco this Sunday. I will go (assuming I can get tickets).

Would you believe the San Francisco show is sold out? It's just not fair:(

A great gig, the band were really enjoying themselves, good arrangements of songs, and fantastic musicianship as you'd expect. If you get a chance to see ARW do it :upthumb The sound for the first half wasn't brilliant, the sound guy improved it for the second half, but I've seen quite a few bands now at the Motorpoint and its not the best venue from a sound perspective, its like being in an aircraft hanger - though probably better than the old Sophia Gardens where I saw Blue Oyster Cult many years ago (the week before the snow collapsed the roof!).

I'm going to see ARW at Hammersmith Odeon this weekend. While I'm looking forward to seeing Jon Anderson singing with a band again, I'm not really looking forward to hearing Trevor Rabin ruin Yes songs again! And its such a safe, boring setlist, despite what ARW said before they started touring. I assume that the setlist hasn't changed from the US shows last year.

I'm going to see ARW at Hammersmith Odeon this weekend. While I'm looking forward to seeing Jon Anderson singing with a band again, I'm not really looking forward to hearing Trevor Rabin ruin Yes songs again! And its such a safe, boring setlist, despite what ARW said before they started touring. I assume that the setlist hasn't changed from the US shows last year.

Trust me, Trevor Rabin does nothing more to ruin Yes songs than Geoff Downes does… ;)
I honestly believe that ARW is so much better than what Yes have become following the death of Chris Squire, and I enjoyed their performance more than any other Yes show I have ever been to. (I say that having never been to a classic Yes lineup [JA, CS, SH, AW, RW] performance…)
I hope you will be pleasantly surprised at how good it is.
PS Watch out for the amazing rhythm section that is Lou Molino III and Lee Pomeroy!

:)

Trust me, Trevor Rabin does nothing more to ruin Yes songs than Geoff Downes does… ;)
I honestly believe that ARW is so much better than what Yes have become following the death of Chris Squire, and I enjoyed their performance more than any other Yes show I have ever been to. (I say that having never been to a classic Yes lineup [JA, CS, SH, AW, RW] performance…)
I hope you will be pleasantly surprised at how good it is.
PS Watch out for the amazing rhythm section that is Lou Molino III and Lee Pomeroy!

Geoff Downes plays some of it too simply, so its lacking, whereas Trevor Rabin shreds inappropriately over the top, so its painful. Its alright on his own Yes songs, but not on Awaken! I'm going with an open mind though and am looking forward to it. I would love it if they had written some new songs to play, which is what they said they were going to do.

Geoff Downes plays some of it too simply, so its lacking, whereas Trevor Rabin shreds inappropriately over the top, so its painful. Its alright on his own Yes songs, but not on Awaken! I'm going with an open mind though and am looking forward to it. I would love it if they had written some new songs to play, which is what they said they were going to do.

From what I remember, there was no inappropriate shredding from Trevor Rabin at the show I went to.
At the end of the day, Steve Howe is still a better guitarist for Yes music. However, when it comes to comparing the other 4 positions in the current Yes band to ARW, ARW win hands down!

Would you believe the San Francisco show is sold out? It's just not fair:(

I would still encourage you to go down and have a try. Rare is the show where there is not someone selling extra tickets in front of the venue. You might also try the box office on the day of the event, as the artist often releases tickets that day. I talked to a guy who got 4th row at Wrigley Field for Paul McCartney just by frequently rechecking the box office on show day! I went to that same sold out show without a ticket and (while not in the 4th row) got in with no problem.

My attitude is to enjoy whatever I have paid the big money for, and I liked both line-ups (i.e., current Yes and ARW). Hard pressed to say which was best--each has plus and minus beyond the individual players. Probably appreciate the album performances of Yes tour more than the hits from ARW.

Joe just picked up 9th row center tix for Taj Mahal & Keb' Mo' 9/12 at Pabst Theater, Milwaukee. Today was presale. PM me if you'd like to buy tix before Friday 3/17.
Had seen/heard Taj before at House of Blues - Chicago
Saw/heard Keb' Mo' on my Birthday a couple years ago at the Pabst
Keb' Mo' from Mountain Stage doing I Like the Old Me Better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDliZ_ypikY

Henry Saint Clair Fredericks & Kevin Roosevelt Moore doing Don't Leave Me Here (audio w/lyrics) from upcoming TajMo album due 5/5/17: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yjc2wpvt3A

Would love to see their buddy Eric Bibb again. Although I'm complete on all three, Bibb is still my fave living blues guy and probably the least known of the three. Saw/listened to him at Old Town School in Chicago. Got lots of Opus 3 LP's and CD's signed. He was very sweet.
Too Much Stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dtKtGGXH4o
Taj & Eric Bibb doing Diving Duck Blues from the BBC Tent at '98 Glastonberry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAtZANlu0h0&spfreload=10

I'm stuck here in Chicago, please don't leave me here... - TM & KM
Actually guys, I LOVE Chicago - QL

Linda mentions Taj Mahal & Keb' Mo' that I'll also be seeing on the October 2017 Blues Cruise http://bluescruise.com/lrbc-29-oct-2017-southern-caribbean/. They Headline with Buddy Guy and have at least 25 other groups for the week's cruise. Yes, these are pricy but my wife and I make it at least once a year (they have them twice a year) and it is the best vacation everytime. They have been doing this forever and have it wired. They have the entire boat so no pissed off normal passengers locked out of events. ALL venues, including piano bars, have upgraded sound that is great. The best parts are every night one band is selected for a pro jam. Figure all the acts are basically trapped on the boat and join these amazing jam sessions with some amazing pairing of artists. The jams begin at midnight and run until about sunrise... We made the mistake the first cruise of booking some morning shore excursions. BIG MISTAKE, mornings are for sleeping and the rest of the day is music. As many as five venues (including stages by the pool) going all at once and all groups play at least three sets during the cruise. No problem walking up whenever and going right up front or sitting in a Jacuzzi while watching some great acts. I love the no formal dinner (no dressing up in a duck suit while on vacation) and you eat whenever you want (no specific formal dinner time) and can wear shorts, shirt and sandals in the formal dining room. This is MY kind of vacation / concert.

EDIT: Wanted to add, for those that fell out of their chairs looking at the prices, that you need to remember that a cruise is ALL food AND lodging for seven (7) days and happens to take you to the Caribbean Islands (even though they become second to all the music). It's great when other cruise ships in ports have all their passengers lining up at their railings to listen to the music from our ship that proudly displays the giant banner, "Our Ship Kicks Ass".

Last edited:
I've seen Eric Bibb a few times at some of the small Festivals here in the UK, he is really good, got all his SACDs as well! But I'd love to see Taj Mahal & Keb' Mo' never had the chance so far.

Joe just picked up 9th row center tix for Taj Mahal & Keb' Mo' 9/12 at Pabst Theater, Milwaukee. Today was presale. PM me if you'd like to buy tix before Friday 3/17.
Had seen/heard Taj before at House of Blues - Chicago
Saw/heard Keb' Mo' on my Birthday a couple years ago at the Pabst
Keb' Mo' from Mountain Stage doing I Like the Old Me Better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDliZ_ypikY

Henry Saint Clair Fredericks & Kevin Roosevelt Moore doing Don't Leave Me Here (audio w/lyrics) from upcoming TajMo album due 5/5/17: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yjc2wpvt3A

Would love to see their buddy Eric Bibb again. Although I'm complete on all three, Bibb is still my fave living blues guy and probably the least known of the three. Saw/listened to him at Old Town School in Chicago. Got lots of Opus 3 LP's and CD's signed. He was very sweet.
Too Much Stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dtKtGGXH4o
Taj & Eric Bibb doing Diving Duck Blues from the BBC Tent at '98 Glastonberry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAtZANlu0h0&spfreload=10

I'm stuck here in Chicago, please don't leave me here... - TM & KM
Actually guys, I LOVE Chicago - QL

I went with my brother and he is way more of a Yes fanatic than I am, and he really enjoyed it, the set list is 'safe' but Jon Anderson is still in fine form, and the rhythm section is excellent, but the rapport between Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman really shines through. I imagine the sound will be great at the Odeon.

Snood just got back from the Brian Wilson Pet Sounds Show in Orlando :banana::banana::banana:

It was the first show on the leg of the tour, so Brian was fresh and active in a lot of the songs. He sang waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more then me thought he would. Think he only flubbed up once. He was in front of Piano, but do not think he played much Piano. On the songs that he did not have a singing part on he was pretty much looking around.

Snood was 7 rows back and it was for sure sold out.....

The band was awesome - Al Jardine was by his side and looked and sounded good - Blondie Chaplin played and sang a few songs - most notably Sail on Sailor - and he was meeeeeeeeeeessed up big time!!!!!! But still good - impressive guitar and voice.

Al Jardines son Matt tho OMG what a falsetto :yikes here is a youtube vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnzSjY728bQ OMG he was awesome waaas awesome on every lead he did and also choral stuff.

11 or 12 piece band........played all the hits for about 50 minutes then a 15 minute break - then all of Pet Sounds was beautiful... then encore with Good Vibrations, Fun, Fun, Fun, Barbara Ann, California Girls (I think), Help Me Rhonda then Love & Mercy - Good 2 hour show.

Only regret was no Surf's Up!!:howl

Worth every cent :banana: Pet Sounds was Awwwwwwwwwwwwesome :cool:

Back