The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They announced the bands playing at our fair, end of August, this is the list:

https://www.pne.ca/thefair/live-shows/summer-night-concerts.html

From ones listed, these are bands I have interest in seeing:

ZZTop,Chicago,B-52’s,Doobie Brothers,Tom Cochrane ,Mother Mother

For those that have seen any of these bands recently, which ones are still doing the best job of the oldie acts.
Curious what to expect as Chicago and Doobie Brothers do not have original singers any more whereas I think Zztop and B52's still have originals doing vocals I believe.

peter

I DON'T CARE
I AM GONNA GO SEE ROGER HODGSON.....

now that they're all "dropping like flies"..you never know if it's gonna be your last chance....

Now, I have to see if I can afford Rubén "Bleids" (I have always said "BLAh-DES"...) see if it's worth it...saw him back in the late 80s in the Berklee Performance center...

"Por la esquina del viejo barrio lo vi pasar...con el tumbao que tienen los guapos al caminar...las manos siempre en los bolsillos de su gabán..pa que no sepan en cual de ellas lleva el puñal.."

For those that have seen any of these bands recently, which ones are still doing the best job of the oldie acts.
Curious what to expect as Chicago and Doobie Brothers do not have original singers any more whereas I think Zztop and B52's still have originals doing vocals I believe.

peter

Certain Chicago songs are song by originals.....its not all Peter Cetera and Terry Kath. I would prefer Cetera to the bass player who covers his vocal parts though.....they are well worth seeing as they can instrumentally still nail all the parts. ;) Which original Doobie is no longer singing with them? Don't mention MacDonald please......

They announced the bands playing at our fair, end of August, this is the list:

https://www.pne.ca/thefair/live-shows/summer-night-concerts.html

From ones listed, these are bands I have interest in seeing:

peter

I just took in a Doobie show last year. Although the supporting cast has been changed many times over the years, Tom Johnston and Patrick Simmons were still performing with the group. The two of them probably represent 80% or so of the "golden era" vocals. Has one of them left recently? You will enjoy that show.

Tom Johnston is the original singer with the Doobies, he actually only took a short vacation when Micheal McDonald stepped in and they actually toured together for a brief period when Tom returned. I have seen the Doobies a bunch of times from indoors to outdoors and they are always good.

In regard to peterzach's post:
... Chicago and Doobie Brothers do not have original singers any more...

Disclaimers:
Apologies to John, since I mentioned McDonald and for erroneously attributing the quote above to him. I've seen/heard McDonald live 5 times. Once with Steely Dan.
This post was begun, but not posted a couple hours ago. The previous two posts were not yet posted.

I've been a Chicago fan since '68, which is the year BEFORE they did CTA. I've seen/heard them live 5 times. I've owned 3 or more copies of all their albums through 16. I've owned 2 or more Quad copies of all the Quad titles. Yes, I own the albums from 17 forward, box sets, DVD-A's DVD's & Blu-Rays. Although I've never met any of them, we have several mutuual friends. Loghnane's Uncle was a customer of mine. I've met relatives of most of the founding members. Serafini/Seraphine's uncle and two cousins had a beauty shop next door to my hi-fi store.

I have a shorter history of being a Doobie Brothers fan. Still, I've been a fan since '72's Toulouse Street was released. IMHO, Title song is one of their best deep tracks.
I own all the Doobie Brothers CD-4, DVD-A, SACD, CD box, DVD-V, Blu-Ray and CD's. I love their bio Blu-Ray/DVD, Let the Music Play: The Story of The Doobie Brothers. Skip Spence of my favorite band, Moby Grape was instrumental in the founding off this band. Cornelius Bumpus (RIP) was a member of both Moby Grape and Doobie Brothers.

OK, enough of my personal trivia.

Chicago had three lead singers in their founding lineup: Cetera, Kath, and Lamm. Bobby Lamm is still with them. Besides later members like Bill Champlin & Jason Scheff, other members have occasionaly sung lead: Jimmy Pankow and Lee Loughnane. IMHO, Lamm is one of the best songwriters and penned my all-time favorite track by anyone, Beginnings. And Lamm sings lead. In the early days, Lamm was so prolific that he had Cetera sing lead on some of his compositions. Peter Cetera, Robert Lamm, and James Pankow are among the 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame inductees for their songwriting.

As to Doobies leads, both original singers Patrick Simmons and Tom Johnston are in today's lineup. Other than while the group was disbanded, lead singer/songwriter Pat Simmons has always been with the band.. Michael McDonald provided keyboards, synthesizers, vocals as a special guest for Rockin’ Down the Highway: The Wildlife Concert CD's, DVD-V, Blu-Ray in the late 90's. McDonald has also appeared as one of various members who have played together in different configurations for annual Christmas season performances for the patients and staff at the Stanford Children's Hospital. They have also performed for the Vietnam Veterans Aid Foundation in the Bay area. In early 1987, drummer Keith Knudsen persuaded eleven of the Doobie alumni to join him for a concert to benefit veterans' causes: Tom Johnston, Pat Simmons, Jeff Baxter, John McFee, John Hartman, Michael Hossack(RIP), Chet McCracken, Michael McDonald, Cornelius Bumpus (RIP), Bobby LaKind and Tiran Porter. McDonald is not currently in the band.

In regard to John Svensson's post:
As to Doobies leads, both original singers Patrick Simmons and Tom Johnston are in today's lineup. Other than while the group was disbanded, lead singer/songwriter Pat Simmons has always been with the band.. Michael McDonald provided keyboards, synthesizers, vocals as a special guest for Rockin’ Down the Highway: The Wildlife Concert CD's, DVD-V, Blu-Ray in the late 90's. McDonald has also appeared as one of various members who have played together in different configurations for annual Christmas season performances for the patients and staff at the Stanford Children's Hospital. They have also performed for the Vietnam Veterans Aid Foundation in the Bay area. In early 1987, drummer Keith Knudsen persuaded eleven of the Doobie alumni to join him for a concert to benefit veterans' causes: Tom Johnston, Pat Simmons, Jeff Baxter, John McFee, John Hartman, Michael Hossack(RIP), Chet McCracken, Michael McDonald, Cornelius Bumpus (RIP), Bobby LaKind and Tiran Porter. McDonald is not currently in the band.

I saw the Doobies with Chicago on 6/23/2010 in Colorado. Both bands delivered fine performances. My one gripe with Chicago was that they auctioned off a lead vocal spot for one of their songs (If You Leave Me Now) which I happen to like. The cause was charitable, but what they really auctioned off was my ears, and while it took real balls for the winning guy to get up there and sing it, he was not up to the task.

I have seen the Doobies somewhere around a half a dozen times since 1978, and I have never seen a bad show by them. McDonald sang two essential songs in my estimation: Takin It To The Streets & It Keeps You Runnin. If I never hear Minute By Minute or What A Fool Believes - live or otherwise - again in my life, there will be no love lost.

I can recommend them both.

ZZ Top is still great in concert, but be warned that they always turn in a short set. Around 80 minutes for a band with decades of material. They have been consistent in this manner for decades. Yet Billy Gibbons will usually say at some point "we are gonna play all night long..." But trust me, he is talking to the early bird special crowd. He is still a guitarist at the top of his game, although he probably does not challenge himself to the maximum of his capability. Expect a professional show. One year Billy said (at every show) "same three guys, same three chords..." so they have some sense of self awareness! Also, you would struggle to find a popular band that has made as much of an effort to serve smaller markets as has ZZ Top. Just don't expect any big surprises.

a couple more Chicago things:

1- All three "horn" guys are still with the band. Most of the time you'll see/hear all three. Each guy has an "understudy" who you might see.

2- I was at the concert at the Petrillo Band Shell in Chicago the night they recorded Chicago 26.

Hi Kitty: I was responding to Peter Z actually.... Yes, it seems that my preference is for the Lamm and Pankow compositions also. I consider Johnston and Simmonds the "original" Doobie vocals, I like Takin It to the Streets also, but not a big MacDonald fan overall. :yikes

My apologies, John. Mea culpa. I've edited my post to reflect the correction.

I also consider Johnston and Simmons the original Doobies lead vocalists.

Hi Kitty: I was responding to Peter Z actually.... Yes, it seems that my preference is for the Lamm and Pankow compositions also. I consider Johnston and Simmonds the "original" Doobie vocals, I like Takin It to the Streets also, but not a big MacDonald fan overall. :yikes

Anybody wanna join me to see Steve Hackett in Madrid on the 30th of June????
I think that César will be somewhere else... :(
Would be cool to meet fellow QQers...

Curiously enough, the space in front of the stage is normally SRO , but on THIS gig THERE ARE NUMBERED SEATS!!!!!
I'm in 5th row in front of Beggsy!!!..cool!

That means I can go get beers and maybe smoke me a few before the gig...

Cheers!
:smokin

Anybody gonna see Jean-Luc Ponty in his "Atlantic years" tour...they say he's kicking some ass...as usual...

I think I remember someone is...can you sneak in....???? oh. I didn't say anything....the word Zoom comes to mind though...

Anybody gonna see Jean-Luc Ponty in his "Atlantic years" tour...they say he's kicking some ass...as usual...

I think I remember someone is...can you sneak in....???? oh. I didn't say anything....the word Zoom comes to mind though...

Have never seen him and disappointed I can't make the current tour work for me somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just back from the opening night of Roger Waters in Kansas City - the opening night of his tour.

The show was presented in quadraphonic.

Saw Waters again in Denver last night. I misspoke in my earlier post when I said he played in "quadraphonic," as it was clearly more like 6.0 based on my seating last night.

At a minimum there are stereo fronts, two side speakers, and two "rear" speakers, although the sides and rears are both suspended above the crowd and not behind the last seats in the hall in any direction. As a result, the further you are from the center of the venue, the less likely you are to hear something behind you. I think the song Dogs is the most active surround song, with instrumental placement in the surrounds, rather than just sound effects and DSOTM verbal quotes. And the bass was certainly sufficient to suspect a .1 sonic influence, making this at least 6.1 surround.

There were a few minor differences in the show, but largely an identical setlist. A spectacular presentation, if you get a chance to catch it.

It seems that he is using the same set-up as used on the The Wall gigs - I saw him at the O2 in London a few years ago, and it was that arrangement of speakers. It was a great gig, the sound was great as well.

Edit: and unusually for the UK I even saw an advert on TV last night for his new album.

Saw Waters again in Denver last night. I misspoke in my earlier post when I said he played in "quadraphonic," as it was clearly more like 6.0 based on my seating last night.

At a minimum there are stereo fronts, two side speakers, and two "rear" speakers, although the sides and rears are both suspended above the crowd and not behind the last seats in the hall in any direction. As a result, the further you are from the center of the venue, the less likely you are to hear something behind you. I think the song Dogs is the most active surround song, with instrumental placement in the surrounds, rather than just sound effects and DSOTM verbal quotes. And the bass was certainly sufficient to suspect a .1 sonic influence, making this at least 6.1 surround.

There were a few minor differences in the show, but largely an identical setlist. A spectacular presentation, if you get a chance to catch it.

So it seems Frampton and Steve Miller band is touring this year, together as an act!They will be local on 6/30 and America on 6/10
Smokey Robinson ( I may break down for this one) July 14, Santana August 16 Rodger Hodgson on 10/8. There is also a show listed as Australian Pink Floyd show, anyone know about this?
And, get free free free! Todd Rundgren, and Ramsey Lewis. There is a free show every year in Syracuse, seen tons of stuff free there. http://www.syracuse.com/entertainme...todd_rundgren_the_mavericks_ramsey_lewis.html
I'm Fifty miles away from my school the Big Orange

Last edited:
A spectacular presentation, if you get a chance to catch it.

I saw the Saturday night show in Denver and sat just a few rows in front of the mixing board and all I can say is "WOW, what a show"! The sound from there was incredible for a large arena. Unfortunately, I had a serious ear protection malfunction halfway through the show after I tried to remove my "herenow" smart earbuds and the tip separated from the unit and stuck in my ear. I tried to remove it myself and ended up pushing it so far in that it was stuck there for the rest of the show and I couldn't do anything about it until after getting back to our hotel after the show. So, from there on the sound wasn't quite right for me, but it was great to here the clocks chiming all around and voices and bird noises from behind. And, while the surround speakers were most noticeable with the sound effects, they were definitely used in the mix and provided a much better sound than the typical stack of speakers hanging above the stage. I caught a number of people around me looking up to see where the sounds were coming from.

Anyway, a great show with a couple of surprises in the setlist for me. He's put together a stellar band for the tour. I sure hope he puts out a surround version of the new album.

K

Thanks for the show review! Coincidentally I did the same thing on a flight to San Diego about two months ago. I ripped the earbud from my ear too quickly to answer stewardess and left part of it in my ear that I also pushed in and had to ride the rest of the flight that way. Got some very long industrial first aid tweezers when I landed at the airport and it still took 10 minutes to get it removed properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is also a show listed as Australian Pink Floyd show, anyone know about this?

I have seen Aussie Pink Floyd many times over the years, and can recommend them. IMHO the best Floyd cover band touring (not counting Waters & Gilmour). They were booked to perform at David Gilmour's 60th birthday party, and he joined them for part of the set. Nuff said!

I have seen Aussie Pink Floyd many times over the years, and can recommend them. IMHO the best Floyd cover band touring (not counting Waters & Gilmour). They were booked to perform at David Gilmour's 60th birthday party, and he joined them for part of the set. Nuff said!

They have a heck of a venue list set up already, may check it out, very close to me. only issue is the last show I saw there was the Dan and the sound was awful! I actually became so disgusted I left. If you ever heard a shitty stereo turned up loud that is what the show sounded like.

Back