The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks awesome! Are they really making folks choose between two concurrent lineups at 2 different clubs at the same time? That would be tough...

Yes, unfortunately, there will be bands playing simultaneously at the two stages. They are slightly offset so you can, in theory, catch at least half an hour of every band. But, it does make for some very hard choices.

King Crimson - Orpheum Theater Los Angeles Oct 1st, 2014
These are the actual FB Messenger notes I sent to a friend in the music business who saw them in Philadelphia earlier: I would rate the gig as a good success, short of a full triumph. Everything operated smoothly some 15 shows into this tour...

The drummers all fulfilled their roles (and rolls) to specific purpose most of the time. Gavin adeptly handled the meat-and-potatoes for most of the night with Pat adding the odd measures and percussive toys or spice. This could often be heard in the rear speakers. (I was sitting outside the quad field) Rieflin was keeping up okay between Mellotron stints as it kept him busy. There were a few places he was not really required but they figured it best to all keep playing. When they came around to Thrak era material, the roles were obvious. Rieflin still managed to fit. Continued

The back line from L (Mel) to R (Robert): Mel Collins was fully activated all night! Re-creating and ably re-interpreting classic Crimson horn lines. Of special note were the sublime surprise welcomed flute underpinnings he applied underneath guitar & bass. Tony was as follows: standup bass and stick = largely superb; electric bass not so much. Some clam notes; updated funk fingers observation: the Talking Drum tempo was slower so he could keep up easier. The real issue for me now was that he wouldn't choke the third and sixth note of the riff as Wetton did to great effect and syncopation. Tony plays them all open and equally so the tension is missing. Wetton play all six open LATER with wha wha pedal when band is at fever pitch. Continued

Red was played by Tony like a saboteur and that's not a compliment. Red is a purposeful dirge; playing three times as many notes does not improve it. More on this with the next two players in a moment. I will summarize that this only deepens my opinion that I don't like some of how Levin chooses to play classic Wetton parts. Jakko Jakszyk was largely up to the task after all. Pictures Of a City was great, The Letters was a stunner. Scarcity of Miracles is a so-so tune and it was okay. He belted Starless as good as I could hope for. Schizoid Man was pretty good. I understand Fripp's choices eventually, ofter accepting them. The guitar duties were split up as they might have been with Adrian, a few surprises; some nice new guitar harmonies and a few that weren't right. Continued

I sat on Gavin's side to see him best and this afforded a clear sight line to RF thankfully. He struck me as adept, deft and definitely enjoying himself. I only saw him not playing once; he did play some Mellotron sample parts at times. IMHO, granted some of the marks have been moved but he hit them. It was spooky to watch him create those crazy solos across time such as Sailors Tale. Starless was graceful beauty; LTIA 1/2 were menacing, still on full attack all night. Getting back to Red, the blitz of notes that passed for the underpinning actually seemed to visibly confuse Jakko for a bar or two. He looked at RF like "where the fuck are we?" To which RF nodded vigorously until they were locked back in. Tony what are you doing over there?! continued

The drummers showed some unison moves that were impressive and Gavin's solo turned a lot of heads and I smiled at all the people discovering his immense talent. I would recommend the show as most people would be agog -and wouldn't perceive any complaints as we have. The tempos were okay just Talking Drum and Schizoid Man stuck out to me a little. Let's face it, it's amazing they can do this at all. Further the adrenalin pumped tempos for these tunes haven't really been heard much past 1974 anyways. ::: I did enjoy the opening banter about not shooting video or pictures and it worked. One of my favorite moments was when during the steady note repeated in the middle of Starless, this chick 5 rows in front of me starts dancing wildly (aka "THIS is MY f#$king jam!!") with abandon. This would be repeated during Schizoid Man to much appreciation. She's in her mid twenties and it was....nice. When the band finished, they stood there for a long time and seemed to be looking into as many faces as possible. Fripp was practically beaming with pride and joy. That alone was a sight to see. A-

Addendum
There was a Jamie Muir vibe in the room at the time without the psycho baggage.

Last edited:
Today I bought a ticket for a Bass Communion gig! Steven Wilson will be playing with Thomas Koner in Nijmegen, The Netherlands on 7 December, http://www.doornroosje.nl/event/stevens-wilson-thomas-koner-zev/

Never expected this to happen, BC is definately something else than his solo work. But still an interesting way of making music. Looking forward to this.

Last night, I had the absolute pleasure to see and hear Justin Hayward (from the Moody Blues) play a solo concert at City Winery here in Nashville.
I have been to several Moody Blues shows, but this was a particular treat as you could really hear every note that he and his two backup musicians sang and played.
There were also a few highlights that he seldom gets the chance to play with the Moodies like "You Can Never Go Home" and "Watching and Waiting".
Plus on top of that, during the middle of the set, he had an additional 6 Bluegrass musicians join him on stage to perform the Bluegrass songs from his recent solo album, and man can these guys and gals play!

If you're a Moodies fan and he's coming near you, get a ticket! You will enjoy every moment, guaranteed! :)

Lemmy was alive and it was again great fun!
Thank you God of R'n'R :)

That's good to know. How's your hearing?! Are Motorhead concerts still deafeningly loud? The last (and only) time that I saw them was at Hammersmith Odeon in 1980 and my ears are still ringing now! It was definitely the loudest gig that I have ever been at.

That's good to know. How's your hearing?! Are Motorhead concerts still deafeningly loud? The last (and only) time that I saw them was at Hammersmith Odeon in 1980 and my ears are still ringing now! It was definitely the loudest gig that I have ever been at.

Yes, you are deaf after Motörhead concerts.
They did the psychological trick to start loud at the beginning and end up in an inferno of volume. :)
Today I will not listen to any music.
Peace for my ears! :)

Saturday night, Perfume (Japanese girl group) in NYC (wife's idea). Why not, she's never been to Manhattan so I'll get to give her a little guided tour...:)

ED :)

Saturday night Nov. 15 - Orion Sound Studios in Baltimore, MD. A prog rock supergroup that's only doing 3 shows. Jonas Reingold (Flower Kings), Nick D'Virgilio (Spock's Beard, Genesis, Mike Keneally), Randy McStine (Not sure) and Tom Brislin (Yes, Renaissance, Camel). Can't wait!

Well, my bad, they actually played Close To The Edge and Fragile. The concert went for 2hrs 10 min. They started with a complete run-through of CTTE. Pretty well note perfect, but it's obvious that Steve Howe's fret fingers aren't quite as fast as they used to be. To compensate they slowed some of the passages down a bit but not to the detriment of the music. Next up was 2 songs of their recent album. Didn't catch the name of the first, but the second one was The Game. Following this they did the complete Fragile in one hit, even what I consider to be the "dinky" individual filler tracks. To be fair they're not all dinky, but even the band had a giggle at a couple of them. The first curtain call was followed by an encore consisting of Your Move/I've Seen All Good People and Owner of a Lonely Heart. The band seemed somewhat bemused when people started dancing to I've Seen All Good People.

I was a bit concerned as to the new (to me) singer Jon Davison, but the fears were unfounded. They obviously went with someone that could do a reasonable job at Jon Anderson's singing style and he certainly didn't disappoint. I guess if he didn't sound similar then the whole feel of the songs would be gone.

At the end it was left to the roadies to bring on the zimmer frames for Howe/Squire & White and off they went. A very enjoyable night and well above expectations.

Peter Hook on Friday night at Metro Chicago. They announced that there would be a special guest for the encores. It was GRU from Despicable Me!! Oh wait, it only LOOKED like GRU, it was really Billy Corgan.

Peter Hook did three hours and looked great, played impressively and sounded mostly very good on vocals. Energetic half-hour opening set of Joy Division was excellent, followed by the New Order albums "Low Life" and "Brotherhood" in their entirety. Really good set but we especially enjoyed the passion of the Joy Division set. Crowd only really came alive for "Bizarre Love Triangle" and some of the other New Order hits in the encores. Gru - er, Corgan - came out for the final encore to do lead vocals on JD "Love Will Tear Us Apart".

About a month and a half ago, also at Metro Chicago, we saw Kasabian with Bo Ningen opening. Bo Ningen is a one-note novelty act but they were okay for an opening act (Joe and I have both seen much worse over the years!). Kasabian did more than 90 minutes, basically the same set as the Leicester homecoming stadium show from earlier this summer (which is being released on DVD as part of the "48:13" deluxe edition at the end of this month). Hot crowd, great set list, strong performance and a lot of fun but it was wild to watch this kind of show in a club that holds 500 people and took 6 months until show day to sell out.

Peter Hook on Friday night at Metro Chicago. They announced that there would be a special guest for the encores. It was GRU from Despicable Me!! Oh wait, it only LOOKED like GRU, it was really Billy Corgan.

Peter Hook did three hours and looked great, played impressively and sounded mostly very good on vocals. Energetic half-hour opening set of Joy Division was excellent, followed by the New Order albums "Low Life" and "Brotherhood" in their entirety. Really good set but we especially enjoyed the passion of the Joy Division set. Crowd only really came alive for "Bizarre Love Triangle" and some of the other New Order hits in the encores. Gru - er, Corgan - came out for the final encore to do lead vocals on JD "Love Will Tear Us Apart".

About a month and a half ago, also at Metro Chicago, we saw Kasabian with Bo Ningen opening. Bo Ningen is a one-note novelty act but they were okay for an opening act (Joe and I have both seen much worse over the years!). Kasabian did more than 90 minutes, basically the same set as the Leicester homecoming stadium show from earlier this summer (which is being released on DVD as part of the "48:13" deluxe edition at the end of this month). Hot crowd, great set list, strong performance and a lot of fun but it was wild to watch this kind of show in a club that holds 500 people and took 6 months until show day to sell out.

Hooky is always good value for money. Met him a while back and he really is just a normal bloke who is fully aware of what he's been part of and all about playing music live. Last time I saw him as on his book tour where he spent a good 90 minutes on stage, telling anecdotes and riffing with the legend that is Howard Marks before playing a couple of numbers (NO's Elegia and a track from his Freebass album).

I've never been into Kasabian, but another good friend of mine has worked with them and cannot speak highly enough of their professionalism and energy and all round niceness, which is borne out by this video centred around their beloved guitar tech :)

http://youtu.be/2v1PhFJb6B0

Tonight Stevie Wonder performs the entire "Songs in the Key of Life" LP in Atlanta. I haven't been this excited for a show in decades.

I could not imagine a better concert experience than the one my wife and I had last night seeing Stevie Wonder in Atlanta (performing "Songs in the Key of Life"). Absolutely amazing. I would highly encourage anyone on the fence to see this show if you live anywhere near one of the remaining venues.

The review:

http://music.blog.ajc.com/2014/11/23/concert-review-stevie-wonders-songs-in-perfect-key-in-atlanta/

That's awesome, and I have always LOVED Stevie Wonder and his music legacy. He is truly one of a kind with unlimited talent. I saw him in Champaign, IL sometime in the late 80's or early 90's....and his concert was in Quad sound. I remember how amazing that sounded since the Assembly Hall is a round stadium.

Back