The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to a good friend of mine I went to see Muse for free in London last night as part of the opening night promo for World War Z (they did the soundtrack.)

A short set by their usual standards but it was free so no-one was complaining. Great set list and spectacular visuals/pyrotechnics too!

I got tickets to see Neil Young and Crazy Horse in London later this month, and I'm seriously considering Patti Smith the next night.

"It was a wonderful evening, a great dinner and concert with a great guy I've recently begun dating." Your charms and quad knowledge must have really worked for Herb to have tossed over Lani so easily...or did I mis-read that?? John S.

The Who in a couple of weeks, saw an interview with Pete Townshend & Roger Daltrey last night on the BBC News Channel, looks like it'll be an interesting gig especially as Quadrophenia is my favourite Who album - its a shame that only a few tracks could be mixed into surround for the boxed set.

Took the Mrs. to London yesterday to see Tim Minchin's musical adaptation of "Matilda." Not really a gig, but we enjoyed it!

And we're off to see Rick Wakeman play a selection from "Myths and Legends of King Arthur...", "Journey..." and "Six Wives..." with the English Rock Ensemble, the Cheltenham Symphony Orchestra and the Choir of Gloucester Cathedral tonight. :)

Took the Mrs. to London yesterday to see Tim Minchin's musical adaptation of "Matilda." Not really a gig, but we enjoyed it!

And we're off to see Rick Wakeman play a selection from "Myths and Legends of King Arthur...", "Journey..." and "Six Wives..." with the English Rock Ensemble, the Cheltenham Symphony Orchestra and the Choir of Gloucester Cathedral tonight. :)

Is that the Wakeman & Wakeman with Wakeman & Wakeman gig? - by the time I'd spotted the concerts the tickets had gone!

Next week, Van Der Graaf Generator.

I'd like to see VdGG again (I was at the RFH reunion show back in 2006) but it seems unlikely I'll have the chance. Best hopes for me is another pH solo show, which I always enjoy, I think even more than VdGG.

Just saw Devotchka with the Colorado Symphony up at Red Rocks near Denver. Similar to the show they did last September but they did mix up the set, some different tunes and arrangements so it was worth the long drive to see it a second time. The live CD from last year's show is really good. Amanda Palmer opened up - she used the symphony as well - and though I'm not into her schtick she is a decent entertainer so it wasn't intolerable to sit through her set.

Bought tickets to see Neko Case up in Santa Fe in September. Haven't seen her since she opened for Nick Cave in Seattle (early 2000's???) and the teaser for the new album sounds great....got seats in the middle section, row A - gotta like that!

Brian Wilson & Jeff Beck. Milwaukee 10/30 date just added. Just scored main floor tix at the Riverside Theater.
999185_10151582805830197_214111676_n.jpg

Well, we made the drive up to Santa Fe this afternoon to see Neko Case. Got there in good time, walked around and shopped a bit, stopped at the bar for a pre-dinner cocktail, hit the box office at the theater to grab our tickets...alles ist gut! Head over to the little tapas place I made a reservation for, really good spot, loved the food! Short stroll back to the venue..

Something changed between 5pm when we picked up our tickets and 7pm....show cancelled. Neko has a bad cold and can't sing...sucks....but understandable. Lots of disappointed people as the show was sold out but oh well. I felt bad as we'd driven up from Abq but then talked to a guy that drove all the way from Phoenix (that's less than 1 hour vs 7 or so) so I didn't feel quite as bad for myself.

I hope she can get back in this area later on as we love the new record.

The best Baltimore/D.C. venue that you've never heard of is Orion Sound Studios. They don't advertise beyond their website/e-mail list/Facebook page. Shows are held about 6-8 times a year. The bands that perform their are progressive rock/jazz/avant-garde. The place holds about 100 people max. No advance ticket sales, just pay cash at the door.

If you've ever wanted to see Steve Vai in a small venue like this, well, you can't. But you *can* see the next best thing. French band Morglbl with guitar phenomenon Christophe Godin will be at Orion next Saturday, the 21st.

Gordon Lightfoot to perform at Penns Peak Jim Thrope Pa October 26. Might just go see him it's been sometime. Sure be worth the trip. Penns Peak is like 40 minutes from my house!
charlie

Saw Robyn Hitchcock last week (Sept 12th) at The Mercy Lounge here in Nashville. Less than 100 people and I was in 2nd row of tables so maybe 15 feet away. during the second set he was ably assisted by Grant Lee Buffalo and they did all manner of RH songs and covers from The Band, David Bowie and the insane Sound & Vision / When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman / Kung Fu Fighting medley. Good fun.

TONIGHT: Joe Satriani (with Bryan Beller and Marco Minneman + Mike Keneally!) and Steve Morse Band as opening act. Got 2nd row just left of VIP center for reasonable price! Going with my guitar tech friend and we are psych'd!

Soon: John Hiatt @ Franklin theatre Oct 10th and Oct ? my older son and I will be attending live session of Riff Trax @ Belcourt Theater in Nashville

Saw Robyn Hitchcock last week (Sept 12th) at The Mercy Lounge here in Nashville. Less than 100 people and I was in 2nd row of tables so maybe 15 feet away. during the second set he was ably assisted by Grant Lee Buffalo and they did all manner of RH songs and covers from The Band, David Bowie and the insane Sound & Vision / When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman / Kung Fu Fighting medley. Good fun.

I've seen Robyn Hitchcock a few times in London, mainly when he supports or plays with Green Gartside of Scritti Politti. They did they Nick Drake tribute tour together and seem to have bonded :) He's a very funny man who always delivers a great set.

As for myself, I have 3 gigs in three weeks coming up. First up, I'm seeing B.E.F. at the Shepherds Bush Empire. B.E.F. is Martyn Ware's side project outside of Heaven 17, where he gets numerous guest vocalists to aid and abet. This time round, he's being joined by the aforementioned Green Gartside as well as Claudia Brücken, Andy Bell, Kim Wilde, Sarah Jane Morris and Shingai Shoniwa plus Glenn Gregory will make his usual cameo :)

Then a few weeks later it's off to the Royal Albert Hall to see Steven Wilson and his illustrious band and then the following night, it's across London to the O2 Arena to see Peter Gabriel with his Back to Front tour!

Excited doesn't even begin to cover it :banana:

Cheech y Chong & WAR Up in Smoke Tour New Year's Eve Chicago Theater 4th row
View attachment 11665

Cheech & Chong!!!!! I MUST admit I'm INCREDIBLY ENVIOUS!!!!!...I saw their last "live" show on video and it's a rehash of their old stuff , but I don't care...JUST TO SEE THEM"!!!!! Cheech should let his moustachio grow , and probably dye it brown!

Steven Wilson, Madrid Nov 8th...next to where I work, an "indoors roman theater style auditorium"..hopefully it will be a quad show!!!!
980573_639327009420898_637152767_o.jpg
Bass/Stick player extraordinaire Nick Beggs!!!

Back