The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two QQ'ers taking in David Gilmour at Radio City Music Hall. That's me on the left, Fourplay on the right. (We first saw Gilmour together in 1984!)

View attachment 25739

Nice. I saw Gilmour's show in Toronto a few weeks ago at Air Canada Center. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I believe the last time I saw him before that was summer 1994, also in Toronto, at the CNE stadium. Along with Mason and Wright as part of Pink Floyd's The Division Bell Tour. How time flies. My 24 year old son and a few friends went with me. He is convinced this is the last time we will ever see Gilmour tour live.

At The Darkness show last night... not bad for $25 (that's me with the silly grin patting Justin on the shoulder!)

image.jpg

Living Colour was excellent in Nashville on Monday night. I arrived by myself and a woman attending explained that she bought tickets for herself and her husband but the table seats aren't side-by-side. She asked if I would mind sitting closer to the stage! So now I was literally third person from the stage. They were tight and snuck in some pretty amazing stuff during these familiar songs as well as a few new ones.

They worked the edge of the stage pretty effectively, sometimes they were only 2 feet away and we try to adhere to the no photos policy but managed to sneak out a few. At one point singer Corey Glover stood on chairs and put his hand on my shoulder!

dea613c9f28966fe62786d84e635b6fe.jpg
3e345b2573dfbdf696583c940dcfb03b.jpg
0619405f4a4f590ad8971d4641b7a58f.jpg
7d11cd2bfdd01a30429c966f49a97c70.jpg
8d38da1738aca3b3d9a3a2ffb6a481e6.jpg
cba1cf972a710ecad73393395bb9db5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living Colour was excellent in Nashville on Monday night. I arrived by myself and a woman attending explained that she bought tickets for herself and her husband but the table seats aren't side-by-side. She asked if I would mind sitting closer to the stage! So now I was literally third person from the stage. They were tight and snuck in some pretty amazing stuff during these familiar songs as well as a few new ones.

They worked the edge of the stage pretty effectively, sometimes they were only 2 feet away and we try to adhere to the no photos policy but managed to sneak out a few. At one point singer Corey Glover stood on chairs and put his hand on my shoulder!

dea613c9f28966fe62786d84e635b6fe.jpg
3e345b2573dfbdf696583c940dcfb03b.jpg
0619405f4a4f590ad8971d4641b7a58f.jpg
7d11cd2bfdd01a30429c966f49a97c70.jpg
8d38da1738aca3b3d9a3a2ffb6a481e6.jpg
cba1cf972a710ecad73393395bb9db5a.jpg

Those are amazing photos...and I can only imagine they sounded great!

Thanks. Sound was absolutely great for them and their opening act from Detroit - KALEIDO. I look forward to going to another show at this venue very soon.

Thanks. Sound was absolutely great for them and their opening act from Detroit - KALEIDO. I look forward to going to another show at this venue very soon.

So was the venue in the "main drag" in Nashville where all the action/bars are? Can't remember the name of the street...

Broadway? Nope. Actually down Lafayette south of downtown. I don't know what this building used to be but it sure is nice now. The seating is broken up into three zones; if you're really into the band two seats down front if not so much there's an area behind that if you'd rather concentrate on dinner there's a balcony with tables up there.

Broadway? Nope. Actually down Lafayette south of downtown. I don't know what this building used to be but it sure is nice now. The seating is broken up into three zones; if you're really into the band two seats down front if not so much there's an area behind that if you'd rather concentrate on dinner there's a balcony with tables up there.

Ah yes, Broadway...the wife and I went to Nashville last summer and had a cabin up in the hills....spent a couple fun evenings prowling around Broadway.

That would be City Winery Nashville, down around Lafayette and 6th Ave S.

Well speaking of Nashville concerts, last night I went to the Ryman to catch Ian Anderson's performance of "Jethro Tull - the Rock Opera", and after the less than pleasant experience I had there at the Moody Blues show a few weeks ago, this concert thoroughly exceeded my expectations! This was a mix of about 14 classic Jethro Tull songs along with a few new songs written specifically for the show by Ian set to a story about Jethro Tull as a modern-day agriculturalist, instead of being a 16th century period piece. As many of you know, Ian cannot sing to save his life, but that problem was largely solved by two other singers (one male and one female) that appeared on the video screen, and this was a very visually driven show with lots of video. As a matter of fact, I was originally supposed to sit off to the far side of the balcony but because of the video screen and the lack of ticket sales for the last few rows in some sections the ushers moved me closer to the middle for a great view. One other thing that stood out to me was how good Florian Ophale is as a guitarist. The rest of the musicians were pretty straight but he really rocked out with Ian all night. Finally Ian must really hate modern-day concert goers cause I have never seen ushers so strict about cell phone use in the hall. Now here are some pics I could get: image-739053651.jpg

image-2188194869.jpg

image-2465539240.jpg

Well speaking of Nashville concerts, last night I went to the Ryman to catch Ian Anderson's performance of "Jethro Tull - the Rock Opera", and after the less than pleasant experience I had there at the Moody Blues show a few weeks ago, this concert thoroughly exceeded my expectations! This was a mix of about 14 classic Jethro Tull songs along with a few new songs written specifically for the show by Ian set to a story about Jethro Tull as a modern-day agriculturalist, instead of being a 16th century period piece. As many of you know, Ian cannot sing to save his life, but that problem was largely solved by two other singers (one male and one female) that appeared on the video screen, and this was a very visually driven show with lots of video. As a matter of fact, I was originally supposed to sit off to the far side of the balcony but because of the video screen and the lack of ticket sales for the last few rows in some sections the ushers moved me closer to the middle for a great view. One other thing that stood out to me was how good Florian Ophale is as a guitarist. The rest of the musicians were pretty straight but he really rocked out with Ian all night. Finally Ian must really hate modern-day concert goers cause I have never seen ushers so strict about cell phone use in the hall. Now here are some pics I could get: View attachment 25746

View attachment 25747

View attachment 25748

Damn...seems a little obsessive...but anyway, sounds like a great show.

I did read that his foot was broken. Still, Rose was in good voice and respectful to the crowd, his bandmates and thankful to Dave Grohl for the loan of the throne. Reports say the band nailded the night musically too. All good signs and better than I expected to hear about.

Well speaking of Nashville concerts, last night I went to the Ryman to catch Ian Anderson's performance of "Jethro Tull - the Rock Opera", and after the less than pleasant experience I had there at the Moody Blues show a few weeks ago, this concert thoroughly exceeded my expectations! This was a mix of about 14 classic Jethro Tull songs along with a few new songs written specifically for the show by Ian set to a story about Jethro Tull as a modern-day agriculturalist, instead of being a 16th century period piece. As many of you know, Ian cannot sing to save his life, but that problem was largely solved by two other singers (one male and one female) that appeared on the video screen, and this was a very visually driven show with lots of video. As a matter of fact, I was originally supposed to sit off to the far side of the balcony but because of the video screen and the lack of ticket sales for the last few rows in some sections the ushers moved me closer to the middle for a great view. One other thing that stood out to me was how good Florian Ophale is as a guitarist. The rest of the musicians were pretty straight but he really rocked out with Ian all night. Finally Ian must really hate modern-day concert goers cause I have never seen ushers so strict about cell phone use in the hall. Now here are some pics I could get: View attachment 25746

View attachment 25747

View attachment 25748
I saw Anderson on the two tours he did previous to this one... TAAB2 and Homo Erraticus. Yes the voice is pretty well shot. He tends to speak lyrics instead of sing them now. He had a singer in the band doing much of the singing for him (the name escapes me). He can still play guitar and flute though. And you are spot on with your words regarding Florian Ophale IMHO.

I think the photo/heckle policy may be more a policy of the venue rather than the band. I saw no such stern postings when I took in his shows, although I think there was an announcement prohibiting flash photography at the start.

Staying on the subject of smart phones in concerts for a minute, I have to say I'm not a fan. The sea of phones at the recent Gilmour concert I saw was distracting to say the least. One young woman in front of me seemed to like to use it as a substitute for binoculars. Apparently she preferred to watch the image on her phone rather than take in the true live experience. As a society, I think we've taken the whole mobile phone thing a little too far. And don't even get me started on people using them in movie theatres....

I couldn't agree more. Joe commented on it while everyone was watching Kacey Musgraves at the Riverside in Milwaukee through their phones. BTW: the venue is a stately old Downtown Theater that was completely refurbished. It has excellent sight lines and we were sitting in the eighth row!

I've always been a tekkie, which is why I'm here. Joe got me my third smart phone a couple weeks ago. My last one was the first 4G Android made. I bought my first smart phone in '06. During a concert, my phone is usually turned off, or at least the ringer is. I want to experience the concert as it's meant to be enjoyed, not through a little screen.

Staying on the subject of smart phones in concerts for a minute, I have to say I'm not a fan. The sea of phones at the recent Gilmour concert I saw was distracting to say the least. One young woman in front of me seemed to like to use it as a substitute for binoculars. Apparently she preferred to watch the image on her phone rather than take in the true live experience. As a society, I think we've taken the whole mobile phone thing a little too far. And don't even get me started on people using them in movie theatres....

I couldn't agree more. Joe commented on it while everyone was watching Kacey Musgraves at the Riverside in Milwaukee through their phones. BTW: the venue is a stately old Downtown Theater that was completely refurbished. It has excellent sight lines and we were sitting in the eighth row!

I've always been a tekkie, which is why I'm here. Joe got me my third smart phone a couple weeks ago. My last one was the first 4G Android made. I bought my first smart phone in '06. During a concert, my phone is usually turned off, or at least the ringer is. I want to experience the concert as it's meant to be enjoyed, not through a little screen.

As I observed her through the entire show I kept wondering what the advantage of watching the show on the screen might possibly be. From my perspective (about 6 feet behind her), the image on the screen seemed smaller than my view of the stage. I concluded that from her perspective it must have provided a magnified image, though I'll bet her arm started getting fatigued holding it up for so long. Regardless, it was annoying having all those lit screens seemingly everywhere in my line of sight. Back in my younger days you brought a lighter to a show to light your doobs and then to hold up in anticipation of the encore. Cant light up with a smartphone, though they do work well for the encore thing.:smokin

City winery made the announcement before hand that there would be no talking recording or taking pictures during the show. Violators would be approached by management and removed. I would say everyone behaved themselves until near the end of the show and when the performers were just two or 3 feet away the impulse was too strong. I think you can be discreet about it. Some of my pictures or not framed properly because I was discreetly shooting from about 2 feet off the floor. I tend to slip two or three and then put it in my pocket hoping that at least one picture is OK.

Back