The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how could I have missed that??
Thanks je ff!!!

It's just that it should have been in the correct thread (recent and upcoming concerts).

Great review.

Kap'n...some people(like me)were sick and tired of looking for all these different threads on here..so this thread covers more ground and isn't as specific...of course you can post it on that other thread...nothing wrong with that..BUT..you should keep an eye of this thread as well...you never know what goodies might be on here(y)

:upthumb

the-rutles-all-you-need-is-cash-51ac61a283ff9.png

So great to see my friend , "Admiral" John Halsey"!!!
Top guy and a real great person...not to mention one of the most underrated drummers EVER!!!!

On the negative side: People did not stop talking, shouting, smoking, moving around and recording the concert with their mobile phones during the whole freaking concert! We even had to move to a different place a couple of times to have a bit of silence. Why the hell do people pay a fortune to attend a concert like this when they cannot behave during a couple of hours? This spoilt the concert to me; the general atmosphere was a complete disaster.
... I may not be being fair, but I was very upset with the people around me and my wife was asking me to run way from the site as soon as possible. My very last memory of the amphitheater is all the waste lying on the floor, which perfectly summarizes the lack of people’s respect while being in a historical, protected venue. 2000 years have passed since last time the amphitheater held a public event and we’re as barbarian and disrespectful as then.

Our mini holidays continued the day after with a quick trip to Capri, a bit of sun bathing and swimming on the Mediterranean. Sweet!

¡Muchas gracias , César..este post está de puta madre!!!!

I'll NEVER understand how humans are so STUPID!!!
Last year I almost got into a fight with an American at the Dave Matthews concert in Madrid(that was full of STUPID "well off/yuppy" Americans who did not give a shit about the show!) who was SHOUTING AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS IN FRONT OF THE STAGE TRYING TO GET INTO THIS GIRL'S PANTS...I told him, "Dude, go to the BACK and she'll hear you better and probably fall for you-MUCH better probability!!!!"

...same thing with KCrimson in 2003 in Madrid..people still YAPPING real loud while Fripp was doing his intro Soundscapes..I turned around and politely said "Listen, I know you paid your money to be here, but I also did, and I want to LISTEN to the music, I guess that is why you paid the money, so please, I'd HIGHLY appreciate it if you let me LISTEN to it and , if you want to talk, GO TO THE BACK!!!"

Regarding the fuckin' smartphones, I wish I was part of security and (as I have seen in many a concerts nowadays) , could take the phone from the ASSHOLES using them ...I mean, I understand some photos...but a video of the WHOLE CONCERT??? it's gonna look and sound like CRAP!!!! And on top of that you'll have MISSED THE SHOW!!!

I understand why many a fan have stopped going to concerts.And I can't blame them one tiny bit...stupid people shouting, the dumbphones, the ridiculously priced tix...hell, I'll wait for the DVD/BD- and it'll be CHEAPER...!!!

THE BEST AUDIENCE I HAVE BEEN A PART OF:
KCrimson ,
Aylesbury Sept 2015, 2nd concert...
They did not shout (or even TALK!) while the band was playing, or have their dumbphones out, and they all waited until the last note stopped ringing until they APPLAUDED...I tell ya, you could hear a PIN DROP in that place...I could NOT believe it!

Last night at Percy's gig, the audience was VERY respectful, very few took out the dumbphones and they were almost silent during the songs!!! I hope that's the case for next week's Seal concert ....

¡Muchas gracias , César..este post está de puta madre!!!!

I'll NEVER understand how humans are so STUPID!!!
Last year I almost got into a fight with an American at the Dave Matthews concert in Madrid(that was full of STUPID "well off/yuppy" Americans who did not give a shit about the show!) who was SHOUTING AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS IN FRONT OF THE STAGE TRYING TO GET INTO THIS GIRL'S PANTS...I told him, "Dude, go to the BACK and she'll hear you better and probably fall for you-MUCH better probability!!!!"

...same thing with KCrimson in 2003 in Madrid..people still YAPPING real loud while Fripp was doing his intro Soundscapes..I turned around and politely said "Listen, I know you paid your money to be here, but I also did, and I want to LISTEN to the music, I guess that is why you paid the money, so please, I'd HIGHLY appreciate it if you let me LISTEN to it and , if you want to talk, GO TO THE BACK!!!"

Regarding the fuckin' smartphones, I wish I was part of security and (as I have seen in many a concerts nowadays) , could take the phone from the ASSHOLES using them ...I mean, I understand some photos...but a video of the WHOLE CONCERT??? it's gonna look and sound like CRAP!!!! And on top of that you'll have MISSED THE SHOW!!!

I understand why many a fan have stopped going to concerts.And I can't blame them one tiny bit...stupid people shouting, the dumbphones, the ridiculously priced tix...hell, I'll wait for the DVD/BD- and it'll be CHEAPER...!!!

THE BEST AUDIENCE I HAVE BEEN A PART OF:
KCrimson ,
Aylesbury Sept 2015, 2nd concert...
They did not shout (or even TALK!) while the band was playing, or have their dumbphones out, and they all waited until the last note stopped ringing until they APPLAUDED...I tell ya, you could hear a PIN DROP in that place...I could NOT believe it!

Last night at Percy's gig, the audience was VERY respectful, very few took out the dumbphones and they were almost silent during the songs!!! I hope that's the case for next week's Seal concert ....

Where is that Seal Concert?....that sounds promising..

Where is that Seal Concert?....that sounds promising..

The same venue as last night, the Jardín Botánico en la Universidad Complutense de Madrid (I got lost getting there, it's a MESS to get to by car!)...

And oh, man, next week I'm debating whether I should go see John McLaughlin on Tuesday by myself(Steve Vai pays on Monday..heck, even Marillion played there 2 nights ago!)

Madrid USED to have a VERY DECENT Summer music Festival during Summer in the Conde Duque, but the politicians have squandered so much money that it doesn't exist anymore..
Example:
2003- Yes (the CLASSIC lineup) and King Crimson (the quartet) on the same week

2008- Zappa plays Zappa and Return to Forever on the same week...

I'm not sure if anybody else will get to see it on satellite/cable around the globe. I've just watched on BBC4 HD "I'm Not In Love: The Story Of 10cc", a really good program, you forget what exceptional songwriters they all were, and had written hits for The Yardbirds, The Hollies and more before 10cc. 10cc would sound great in surround, lots going on in the production.

I thought this was nice...

[video=youtube;xOrG4SpjIao]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrG4SpjIao[/video]

Been listening to a lot of Doobie Brothers lately, and while many might prefer the original studio cover of "Take Me In Your Arms" (with Tom Johnston singing), I actually like Michael McDonald singing it even more. He's just got the right tone and phrasing for this song.
Here's one of the better live versions with him singing that I could find:
[video=youtube;lur13QAcOpo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lur13QAcOpo[/video]
(Even though he is a little pitchy sometimes…)

Let me know whether you prefer him singing it or Tom Johnston. :)

SEAL!!!!

Tonite!!!

@Madrid!!!!!

Never seen him before..hope he doesn't go "I'm, gonna play mostly NEW stuff (or from the "Soul" Albums)"
A recent setlist from earlier this month - looks like a killer show

Crazy
Killer (Adamski cover)
Daylight Saving
Do You Ever
Prayer for the Dying
Love's Divine
Sara Smile (Hall & Oates cover)
Love
Every Time I'm With You
Don't Cry
Mad World (Tears for Fears cover)
My Vision
The Right Life
Kiss From a Rose

I will be seeing Hall & Oates with Sharon Jones and the Dapkings as openers in beautiful Tinley Park, Illinois this evening.

August 13 - Toto at the Arcada
September 20 - Lionel Richie in Vegas
September 21 - Celine Dion in Vegas.
September 24 - Tommy James & The Shondelles at the Arcada

Well, there was another truck that hit us last night...the license plate said "SEAL"...
(Man I miss good concerts like this one and Percy's last week)

WOW!
REALLY GREAT SHOW!!
Got there early (my baby loves Seal) and we were RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM!!!!(we could even smell him!) I even clasped hands a couple of times...He got VERY close to the audience, especially a girl he liked!(the women were going crazy...it was like a male stripper show, all the girls touching his chest!!! Can't blame them, he's quite a guy!!)

SOOOOOO GLAD we were in front cause I see that EVERYONE had their phone cameras up all the time...and although we took a few photos , they all came out blurry!!!! BUT there were a LOT of press photographers there, so I'm not worried; it's the memory that counts!

He talked for quite a bit, mentioning the attack in Munich and how the world is all fucked up, especially this year and used it as an intro for "Prayer for the dying"...
He also mentioned that he loved the Madrid skyline as he was coming by bus the previous day,,,and that he hadn't been much to Madrid (actually he had played here only ONCE before!!!)...EDIT; he has played Madrid 10 times...

Great crowd!!! NO YOUNG PEOPLE AT ALL...

The setlist was basically the one Bob posted except for "Mad World"..and he added "Life in the Disco" as a last song...we really got a kick from "Sara Smile"...he also played part of Hendrix's "Hear my train a'comin'"

One minor/major gripe: there were only three people onstage, including Seal: Tim Weidner (his producer, etc) on keys and loops and ,basically THE GROUP, and a great guitarist called Isaac....they both also sang, but come on, Seal, at least a bass player and a drummer?????
Look for videos on utoob ; Seal Madrid 2016 and you'll see what I mean...

Other than that, ANOTHER GREAT CONCERT!!!!!

One minor/major gripe: there were only three people onstage, including Seal: Tim Weidner (his producer, etc) on keys and loops and ,basically THE GROUP, and a great guitarist called Isaac....they both also sang, but come on, Seal, at least a bass player and a drummer?????

It is crazy how much music one guy with a MacBook can produce, but I get what you mean. Watching it, it almost doesn't seem real or live. Todd Rundgren had a similar thing on a tour last year; one guy doing pretty much everything on his computer (except for when Todd played some guitar.) It was still a great show but a bit of an adjustment for an old-school guy like myself. The first time I saw Seal he had Tony Levin and David Sancious in his band (half of Peter Gabriel's So band!) It was a killer (pun intended) show. Glad you had a good time.

My wife and I are seeing Dr. John this coming Thursday as part of the SF Jazz Fest. She is on the album cover rear of Tango Palace and we are going to bring the album to the show to see if he will sign it. I am sure he will if we can get it to him on stage. She is in the barroom photo, lower left.

It is crazy how much music one guy with a MacBook can produce, but I get what you mean. Watching it, it almost doesn't seem real or live. Todd Rundgren had a similar thing on a tour last year; one guy doing pretty much everything on his computer (except for when Todd played some guitar.) It was still a great show but a bit of an adjustment for an old-school guy like myself. The first time I saw Seal he had Tony Levin and David Sancious in his band (half of Peter Gabriel's So band!) It was a killer (pun intended) show. Glad you had a good time.

Wow , that must have been a REAL KILLER show...AFAIK, Seal DUMPED THAT BAND halfway through the tour, so you were VERY LUCKY!!!

Back