The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bryan Ferry last night was absolutely incredible!
It was a 90 minute extravaganza filled with so many great classics from both his solo career and his career fronting Roxy Music!
Even though he's on tour promoting his new album "Avonmore", the new material was relegated to the first few songs of the set, then after it was almost a complete nostalgia trip.
There were so many great highlights, from the flawless renditions of his biggest hits from "Boys & Girls", to all those great tracks from early in Roxy Music's career (like "Re-Make/Re-Model", "Ladytron", "If There Is Something", "Virginia Plain", "In Every Dream Home A Heartache" and more), to lots of great cuts from "Avalon" and other career highlights (including a rousing rendition of the Manifesto deep cut "Stronger Through The Years" and the surprise encore of "Both Ends Burning" from Siren)
If any of you live along his tour path, I highly recommend you get out to check out this show, as you will truly love every minute of it as I did! :)

Gig alert for England residents....
"The Rutles" (sans Eric Idle)
have about 6 gigs . October 5th- 14th!!!!!

Wish I could go just to see the great "Admiral" John Halsey pounding the drums!!!

The set list for Bryan Ferry in Nashville has been published: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bryan-ferry/2016/ryman-auditorium-nashville-tn-63ff429b.html

While this was technically a Bryan Ferry concert to promote his latest solo album, Avonmore, it could easily have been billed as An Evening of Roxy Music! The hand-picked 10 piece band allowed Bryan to do literally anything in his solo or group catalog. I would add that these players not only brought their skills to the material but appear to have gone the extra mile to recreate Phil Manzanera guitar solos and Andy MacKay saxophone parts that are essential to these classics! When they launched into songs from the first Roxy Music album, I could barely contain my excitement. Cruising main street in my '67 Mustang with 8 track blaring If There Is Something - "Takes me right back.... when we were young" indeed.

Roxy Music and Your Pleasure albums were well represented, especially with moments like In Every Dream Home, A Heartache where not only is the dramatic crescendo perfectly re-created, the solo guitar running through phasers and envelope generator effects actually panned across the Ryman Auditorium PA system, producing a VERY effective deep unforgettable head swim! The sound, lights and FX were stunning and spot on all night, never missing an opportunity to flatter Bryan and the band. (but made taking photos difficult! we were last row balcony and worked to be brief and non-intrusive) Bryan also performed some covers (see list) from his early solo albums, notably including the wonderful Roxy Music tribute release of Jealous Guy. He played electric piano as he did back in the day and he also wailed on the harmonica much more often that I'd have expected. This was a much more personally involving show than I ever expected to see. It is my opinion that Bryan loves the early work, wants it to be given consideration and bring joy to existing fans in this world who needed another look or offering that first look for new fans. This show is highly recommended if you are in the path of the few remaining shows.

ferry2.jpg ferry3.jpg ferry1.jpg

Fairport Convention's Cropredy Festival next weekend - Gryphon (reformed!!), Steeleye Span, Headspace, Lifesigns, Ralph McTell, Hayseed Dixie, oh and Fairport!

From the Phil Collins Facebook Page:
We are thrilled to announce that Phil will be headlining the Opening Night Ceremony at the 2016 US Open Tennis Championships on August 29, where he will be performing LIVE at the event. It will be screened on ESPN in the US (stay tuned for broadcast details for other countries). Read the full story: http://smarturl.it/PCUSO
13924963_10154366394347716_6331104099977202209_n.jpg

The implication is that Phil will also be drumming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I think his health issues still make drumming close to impossible for him.
That photo looks like an outtake from the "Going Back" reissue photo session.

Just got back from Toto at the Arcada. If you have a chance to see this tour GO!!!!! Man, what a band! Beside Paich, Lukather, and Steve Porcaro, on bass is Leland Sklar, on percussion is Lenny Castro and on drums is Shannon Forrest - normally a country drummer, he also played with The Dukes Of September. It's a full 9 piece band with 2 background vocalists and Joe Williams on lead vocals. Great sound, great songs. Probably in my top 5 shows ever. And a full 2 hour + show. It seems like these are all at smaller venues this time. The Arcada hold about 1000. I can't say enough good things about the show. All the hits, a couple of new things (really good by the way) and the best album tracks.

Fairport Convention's Cropredy Festival next weekend - Gryphon (reformed!!), Steeleye Span, Headspace, Lifesigns, Ralph McTell, Hayseed Dixie, oh and Fairport!

Very jealous! I imagine there will be quite a tribute to Swarb. Has anyone ever heard Ralph McTell's quad LP??

Last Saturday night... Belly in DC, in 102 degree heat. Surround connection=none.

This Wednesday... Yes in Pittsburgh, second time catching the guys on this tour. Half of Tales live sure to be highlight again...

Yes there was a nice tribute to Swarb (who was a really nice chap, very down to earth), a great loss to music. It was nice seeing Gryphon again after all these years, Steeleye were great, Ralph McTell was fantastic (never heard his Quad album, didn't know there was one!), Headspace (with Rick Wakeman's son Adam on keys) were good having never seen them before, and Madness on Thursday night were really good fun, though not quite as energetic as they used to be! Fairport were a strange mixture of brilliance and blandness, some arrangements of songs just don't work that well on such a massive stage in front of 25-30000. Plenty of sun and booze. All in all a great weekend.

Edit: Next year will be Fairport's 50th so the Cropredy Fest will be something special I suspect.

Very jealous! I imagine there will be quite a tribute to Swarb. Has anyone ever heard Ralph McTell's quad LP??

A few of my favorites from Bryan Ferry's recent show in Nashville ("Beauty Queen" and "Ladytron"):

[video=youtube;sxWS0k0NhS8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxWS0k0NhS8[/video]

Back