The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adam, that's awful! What an absolutely sh**ty thing to happen.

Wish I could say something to make ya feel better.

Hang in there buddy!

Oh it's alright my darlings! I was dog tired anyway so could do with a light supper and a rest up at home which is exactly what I did (it's been a while).. I do wonder what Elton would have thought about one of his mega fans (with a disability! or rather chronic condition that means I will doubtless never drive and so not own a licence let alone need one!) who has seen him perform live in the region of a hundred times over two decades might have thought about the way I was treated..!?

Obviously he was performing away, tinkling the ivories with no idea as to what was going outside! It did start to get a little heated while I was trying to negotiate with the staff there were scuffles with many disgruntled people who also didn't have the necessary ID.. who were not quite as moderate in their behaviour or language as I was, put it that way.. the Police were called in the end, it was crazy! I took that as my cue to leave.. I've managed to get to my 5th decade on this planet without being arrested, I wasn't going to provoke that into happening for causing affray at an Elton John concert! :D

So sorry , Adam...these times really suck...I'm sure that anyone that might have wanted to do some serious harm would have been let in, too....
Soooooo....lesson, even if you don't need it, ALWAYS have a Passport with you(you never know when you are gonna need it)....

(Un)Luckily , in Spain you HAVE to have a "National" ID card (DNI-=Documento Nacional de Identidad" for locals or a NIE ="Número de Identificación de Extranjero" for immigrants , like moi, which , BTW you have to carry AT ALL TIMES, unless you want to wind up with a nice chunky fine and/or in Jail)..so I always make sure I have it with me...

So so sorry for you , knowing that Sir Elton of John is your ALL TIME FAVE....

Freddie, Bowie, Elton.. They're my holy trinity.
Obviously I love God too, he's my holy guide (and I skipped Mass yesterday to work which I hated doing but what can you do.. gotta earn a crust to pay for all this fucking surround music!) but musically Freddie (and Queen), the thin white duke and EJ are my musical heroes.. two of them are now dead so I only have Elton and he's 70 in March, so how much longer he will tour the way he does is anybody's guess.

Ah well.. hopefully those who did get in had a blast.. and it's not like I really need to see him perform again, though after a schlep, queuing, almost begging to the venue to relent or find a solution for someone in my situation and all that crap, it would have been nice to get in and see him! :D

Adam, so sorry to hear your tale. :( That's a real drag.

I was at ELO at Radio City Music Hall last night. There was increased security there, most likely due to the dumpster bomb that happened the night before. Long line to get in as they were wanding/frisking/searching bags, but they weren't doing any ID checks.

ELO, by the way, were amazing. Jeff Lynne is one of my musical heroes and I've been waiting all my life for an opportunity to see him live. He and the new ELO lineup didn't disappoint.

However do you vote in Britain? You must not have the massive voter fraud issue that we have here in the States.......:rolleyes:

I think we may be a little bit more primitive and homespun in that regard, I fear.. how it works for the most part is, we are sent a ballot card by mail, you take that to the local polling office on polling day, give it to the admin there who then gives you a ballot paper and a pencil which you then take to a private booth and use said pencil to mark a big old cross ("X" Marks the spot!) next to your chosen candidate. :ebay

on voting day for the EU Referendum, members of UKIP (UK Independence Party) were outside polling stations with ball point pens for voters to prevent any skullduggery with vote counting staff rubbing out anyone's pencil marked vote with an eraser..!! :yikes

Joking right? Reminder: No politics or religion on the QQ please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh sorry.. :eek:

I was just responding with a rough outline of how you vote in my Country.. nothing controversial.. a mere paper and pencil is all it takes to bring about a cultural revolution in the UK! :D

And Wow, EJ can really move, he is playing in my neck of the woods this Friday at Hershey Park, PA. The little lady did say she wanted to see him.....or was that Dream Theatre on October 10th? ;)

"Its the way that he moves,
The things that he.. does..
Woah oh oh!"

(to the tune of The Bitch Is Back! :D )

Breaking News!! :yikes

Elton had one of his tantrums on stage last night... (word must've got round! :D )

]

(I was sent this little cartoon funny earlier via text, cheered me up a bit after last nights' dramas.. what can I say, I know some crazy artsy lovely people :eek: )

In view of this MOST EGREGIOUS snub, Adam Blue, it IS Sir Elton's duty to ensure that all those unreleased 5.1 mixes are released PRONTO.

Terrible situation, ABB, so next time you do venture out to a concert venue make sure you bring your picture on a WANTED poster!

In view of this MOST EGREGIOUS snub, Adam Blue, it IS Sir Elton's duty to ensure that all those unreleased 5.1 mixes are released PRONTO.

Terrible situation, ABB, so next time you do venture out to a concert venue make sure you bring your picture on a WANTED poster!

Oh Ralphie.. I admire your forthrightness.. but tbh I think I've already done what i felt I could at the time I was a fully paid-up member of the fan club etc., to earwig anyone who would listen to try and convince them to get the EJ 5.1's out.. and on sad reflection it was all just a big old waste of breath, well-meaning but it came to naught.. to be fair to those soundmen, bandmates, personnel and whoever else it was in the court of King Elton whose ear I bent, the people I did engage about it were mostly very kind (I do fear some of them thought in the back of their minds: "Nutjob alert!") and to their credit they indulged me somewhat.. but of course the harsh reality is there is nothing anyone can do and the moment has long since passed where Elton was throwing his weight behind his back catalogue being reissued in 5.1, which was probably our best shot as he said he wanted Greg Penny to "do the lot".. if those unreleased surround remixes ever have a chance now it would take a "Herculean" (pun intended... you all know Elton's middle name..! ;) ) effort, imho.. maybe one day..

Oh Ralphie.. I admire your forthrightness.. but tbh I think I've already done what i felt I could at the time I was a fully paid-up member of the fan club etc., to earwig anyone who would listen to try and convince them to get the EJ 5.1's out.. and on sad reflection it was all just a big old waste of breath, well-meaning but it came to naught.. to be fair to those soundmen, bandmates, personnel and whoever else it was in the court of King Elton whose ear I bent, the people I did engage about it were mostly very kind (I do fear some of them thought in the back of their minds: "Nutjob alert!") and to their credit they indulged me somewhat.. but of course the harsh reality is there is nothing anyone can do and the moment has long since passed where Elton was throwing his weight behind his back catalogue being reissued in 5.1, which was probably our best shot as he said he wanted Greg Penny to "do the lot".. if those unreleased surround remixes ever have a chance now it would take a "Herculean" (pun intended... you all know Elton's middle name..! ;) ) effort, imho.. maybe one day..

In view of all this utter harassment and such, I think's it time to switch allegiances to became a rabid ADELE fanboy!:yikes http://beach-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Adele-adele.jpg

And BTW, Would YOU pay MORE to hear Adele in Auro 3D 9.1?*

You bet your bippy I WOULD!

[*are those rats in the ceiling or Adele pawing at my heart?????]:ugham:

Wow that's a real sh*t Adam, what is the world coming to, too many jobsworths! One of the great things about living in the UK is that you don't need to carry ID, so why did Apple think they could demand it. Maybe they could pay some tax in recompense!

Well... well.. well..

(No, not 3 holes in the ground.. :D ...but get ready for a major tale of WOAH.. I mean, woe. :violin )

Well, tonight my dear QQ friends, I was supposed to be going to see my hero, Sir Elton of John, Live at the iTunes Festival at The Roundhouse.. that unfortunately did not happen.. and here is my sorry tale;

In a nutshell, I was refused admission.. on the grounds that I do not possess the required Photo ID.

Why do I not have anything with my photo on it about my person?

1.) I do not carry a Drivers' Licence.

Why?

I have epilepsy (lived with it the last 25 years) and since the prognosis is that I will more than likely have to be on medication to control it for the rest of my life, I am unable - no, unfit - to drive a motor car.. and so I do not have, nor need, a Driver's Licence (which here in the UK have the necessary Photo ID on them),

2.) I do not currently hold a valid UK Passport.
(which here in the UK have the necessary Photo ID on them).

Why?

Around 10-ish years ago (slightly less, maybe 8 years?) I developed a morbid fear of flying after one too many bad experiences, so that scotched that.. and I've never flown since. Also, I never have the time nor inclination to travel abroad recreationally by land or sea either (I haven't had a proper holiday, going away, that is, for many years.. I have had a few "staycations" to recharge the batteries and some brief sojourns within the UK, thank God.. but nothing that requires a Passport) and I no longer work for a company based in another country as I used to. Put simply, I do not need nor do I want a Passport.

I tried everything I could to persuade the various decision makers there, shoved in an undignified manner from pillar to post, from door staff, to security, to a member of the Apple/iTunes staff at the box office or desk or whatever it was, ultimately to a member of the venue's management.. they were indignant.

I was absolutely, definitely, without hesitation or further consideration, no way Jose, getting in, on the basis that I do not own either of these two forms of Photo Identification (and so did not have either on my person this evening to present as proof of identity to any of those respective staff and agencies to whom I appealed).

This was after queuing up for an hour outside (after a day's work I was already a little whacked but got my second wind, I was going to see EJ, soon all would be good with the world and my Duracell's recharged with the power of his music) where none of the sundry staff around the area outside the venue had mentioned I'd need any such ID..) ..oh and having gone through airport style security, through some hideous walk-through presumed metal detector type contraption and padded down manually and with paddles by an assortment of goons (which in and of themselves was all ever so slightly traumatising, as they were somewhat reminiscent of part of the whole airport/flying experience I have come to so abhor.. and these people still would not let me in.

So, I promptly came home again, on a hot and smelly tube, just zoned out and totally deflated.

No gig, no EJ, no kiss kiss, no bang bang.

Not even an encore of Can You Feel My Disappointment Tonight..?

I am not a terrorist. I am a fan.

I respect the wishes of the venue and all involved in the organisation of the event.. and I said as much to the Manageress who ultimately drove the final nail in my coffin of ever getting in to the gig tonight.. but really what an appalling way to treat a blameless law abiding citizen who has never and would never commit a crime of any kind, let alone an act of violence or terrorism.

The fact that they would not entertain anything else was just, incongruous to me..

..in near desperation, I said "Look, here's my wallet with various cards of some description, including my Medical Exemption card for my chronic condition, all with my name on them, plus you can see my Facebook, with a mugshot of me, also with my name on it.. and as far as I'm aware I'm the only Adam-Blue Buckley in the World.. and certainly the only one with this face, nobody could be that unlucky.. but that was seemingly too technical and too practical a workaround solution for Apple's staff at their iTunes Festival.

No dice. Piss off ugly.

So, yeah, that was my latest/recent/upcoming gig experience.

Just thought I'd share it with you all here.

So memorable.. sadly for all the wrong reasons.

What a bummer. I don't know how it works over there but here in Connecticut, USA you can get an ID card at the Motor Vehicle Department. My mom has one and she never drove a day in her life. Perhaps it's worth checking out.

Really is a bummer Adam - I cannot imagine. I remember years ago, my wife had tickets to some sort of play and the tickets (e-tickets) were purchased online. Only, she forgot to bring a copy of the email receipt and they simply would not let her in. You would think with all the technology, they could figure out how to associate her (with valid ID) with the purchase. Nope, she was turned away and that cost us about $200...and a wasted hotel expense.

Its crazy that they couldn't accept any other ID. I don't think they do this to stop terrorists, they do it to stop ticket touts (not terrorists, but still scum), to make sure that the person they are letting in is the same one that purchased the ticket.

Back