The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the Akron Civic Theater Tuesday night to see Steve Winwood. It was an awe-inspiring show, impressive performance, and the sound was perfect from where we were sitting.

Here is a review which sums it up better than I can.

Concert review: Steve Winwood defies time in Civic show

Rock hall of famer’s voice soulful, strong, passionate throughout

By Malcolm X Abram
Beacon Journal pop music writer

Published: October 23, 2013 - 03:00 PM

Steve Winwood’s biography claims he’s 64 years old.

But after watching and listening to the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer take a trip through his nearly 50-year catalog of tunes for almost two hours, you’d think the dude just might be a vampire.

Sure he’s got a few lines on his face and some gray around the edges, but the fit and sprightly sexagenarian’s voice is still strong and soulful, and the near sold-out crowd Tuesday night at the Akron Civic Theatre appreciated every note.

Winwood drew from all the major eras of his career, including his stints in the Spencer Davis Group, Traffic and Blind Faith as well as his solo work, in a dozen-song set that skipped several of his ’80s pop hits for more recent fare from his 2009 solo album Nine Lives, which reached the top 15 on Billboard’s chart.

Winwood and his quartet — guitarist, drummer, percussionist and saxophonist/flutist/organist/vocalist — highlighted and then hammered the soul and R&B underpinnings that have run through much of his music, opening with lengthy and funky vamp on Traffic’s Rainmaker before reaching back to the beginning and turning up the tempo with the SDG’s I’m a Man.

He then offered a few recent tunes, such as the simmering acoustic guitar-driven, near-smooth jazz ballad Fly, which earned a standing ovation from many concert-goers, and the syncopated, grooving At Times We Do Forget featuring a jazz flute solo and Latin rock midsong breakdown that would make Carlos Santana envious.

Winwood only played one of his big ’80s hits, Higher Love, stripping the record’s mechanized grooves, dated synths and Chaka Khan, leaving a lean, funkier arrangement.

He didn’t have much to say to the audience other than a brief dedication of his bluesy hit Dirty City to the city of “Ack-Kron.”

In the latter half of the show, he offered some melodic lead guitar on a lovely Can’t Find My Way Home, and played a bouncy organ solo over an extended funky vamp on Empty Pages. He unleashed a version of Light Up or Leave Me Alone that might have gone a little longer than necessary, as each band member had several choruses to shine, but nevertheless drew another ovation from the crowd.

After the encore break, the simmering groove of Dear Mr. Fantasy had couples wrapping their arms around each other and much of the crowd singing along, and the show-closing Gimme Some Lovin’ stopped the egress and had folks dancing in the aisles.

Throughout the show, Winwood’s voice was strong and his singing passionate and soulful. He did few of the common vocal compensating tricks — going low where he used to go high, pinching the long notes — in which many of his fellow veteran rockers engage.

Winwood’s birth certificate says 1948.

But his voice, energy level and ace band suggest he might still be singing and playing in 2048.

Once Upon a Dream - Rascals at Cadillac Palace, Chicago, 11/6.
ras.jpg
78952.jpg
1.164605.jpg

Tomorrow night (Oct. 26) at Orion Sound Studios in Baltimore, I'll be seeing Might Could (guitar craft-esque acoustic quartet) and Prester John (prog rock mandolin and acoustic guitar - no, really).

J. D.

Last night, Brian Beck & Jeff Wilson at the Riverside in Milwaukee. A GREAT show! The final show of the tour. Three hours with a fifteen minute intermission. Brian Wilson was joined by 11 others, including Al Jardine and David Marks. They did most of the Beach Boys hits, plus a handful of covers and rarities, including Cottonfields and Monster Mash (it's a graveyard smash): '09 soundcheck from Bergen Performing Arts Center: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq2Lvp7E40U

Photo of BOTH Brian's and Jeff's bands: http://www.brianwilson.com

Beck was his usual virtuoso self and performed mostly original stuff, with the best version I've ever heard of Hendrix's Little Wing, except, of course, by Hendrix himself. He and his band also did A Day in the Life, Rolling & Tumbling and Goodbye Pork Pie Hat.

The bands did only a handful of tunes together, including Danny Boy and Surf's Up.

Brian's end of tour comments: “I’d like to thank everyone on our tour and especially my band, Al, Dave, and the great Jeff Beck and his band for making this tour so much fun. And most of all, I’d like to thank all my fans who came out to see us. We’re working on some cool new music now and I think you’re really gonna dig it! ”

Brian Wilson & Jeff Beck. Milwaukee 10/30 date just added. Just scored main floor tix at the Riverside.
View attachment 11207

Yesterday, I received an E-Mail from the Riverside. It was a link to pix of last Wednesday's Wilson-Beck show:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151655439995426.1073742048.26107765425&type=3

I'm getting excited about hearing and seeing the Rascals this Wednesday. A trip to Jazz Record Mart is one of many other activities planned that day. The owner, Bob Koester also runs Delmark Records. When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping!
X00161_9.JPG
jazz-record-mart.jpg

Once Upon a Dream - Rascals Cadillac Palace, Chicago last night. Running through Sunday.

ALL FOUR original (Young) Rascals performing 28 complete songs live, interlaced with documentary footage. Every hit was performed, including one of my faves, See, as the encore.
See (live '13): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5gEhE1BpZ0
A Girl Like You (live '13): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWLGGr_GUY8
Broadway trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wac66i3K4yk

Felix Cavaliere was as soulful as ever and in good voice. Eddie Brigati, sadly, had trouble hitting several notes. Yet, he did an admirable job just the same. Gene Cornish is a great guitarist, who was sadly, often lost in the mix. Dino Dannelli did a great job on drums. The Rascals were augmented by three backup singers. Mark Prentice on bass also served as musical director. Mark Alexander on keyboards did a yeoman's job emulating a multitude of horn and woodwind parts.

Despite its' faults, I strongly recommend you see these guys while you can. There's a reason they're in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
rascals17f-2-web.jpg

cadillac.jpg
456712_385397918151355_924151267_o.jpg

Keb' Mo' - Pabst Theater, Milwaukee, WI 4/10/14 (presale) General ticket sales begin Friday 12/6/13.
Thelonious+Monk+Institute+Honors+B+B+King+5sWMSXp9LXSl.jpg

627.jpg

pabst_theater.JPG

41593217.jpg
On next block to right, the tower featured on opening credits of Laverne & Shirley and a statue of "the Fonz." (y) Eh!

Cheech y Chong & War 12/31/13 Chicago Theater.
event-poster-2092978.jpg
View attachment 12398

Good show, crappy weather. We had a great dinner beforehand at Trattoria No. 10.

Shelby Chong in Herve Leger.jpg
Shelby Chong warmed up the audience, especially the guys, including mine! :yikes

A total incompetent on the sound board! You couldn't hear the vocals on Basketball Jones, and we were in the 4th row! Same seats I had for Miles Davis. When "Blind Melon" played his guitar, he had to ask to have the level raised.

Then, there was an audience member (ringer?) who was in a silver lame top and made Marianne Faithfull sound like a crooner. Lonnie Jordan kept putting the microphone near her, although she didn't know the words. Perhaps he was able to teach them to her after the show...

Still a good show, although War didn't do the World is a Ghet-to :howl or All Day Music.

220352_600.jpg
Cheech: Santa Claus, the one with the hairy jaws
Chong: That's that salsa band. I played with those dudes!
Cheech: Hey, man, Santa Claus is not a salsa band.
Chong: I know, man. Those guys couldn't play ANYTHING!
... Cheech: Santa Clause takes in midgets.
Chong: You mean he makes them smaller?
Cheech: No, they're like foster midgets. All kinds, red, black, brown, yellow, white. He's even got a girl midget.
Chong: A girl midget, man?
Cheech: Yeah, Consuelo.

Attachments

• cheech bacon.JPG
    cheech bacon.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 128
Looking forward to seeing The Aristocrats (Guvan, Beller & Minneman) in San Diego on January 21st. The show is at Brick By Brick north of downtown.

It was called The Spirit Club when my bands played there in the mid-1980s. (our biggest audience ever was opening for James Blood Ulmer)

The only thing on the horizon for me is another Nick Cave show up in Denver and that's not until June…at least this time it's a place with reserved seating so there's none of the mad rush to get a good spot.

I suspect something else will come up that we want to see before then but we're getting pretty fussy these days when it comes to live shows.

The Moody Blues in March @the Oakdale Theater in CT - saw them back in the day in 1970 at the old Felt Forum @MSG (Poco was the opening act) and then again in the early 90's @Radio City w/Patrick Moraz on the keys. Looking forward even if there are fewer Moodies...

Forgot to upload it back in Nov...
Steven Wilson at the Auditorium Hotel , Madrid, Nov 8th...
No, I do NOT have an iPhone, nor do I want one...the photos are not too good but I do not go to concerts to take photos (much less with a flash!)....at least you get a setlist!!
photo0132.jpg

photo0138.jpg

photo0139_002.jpg

Nice! Hey, you're selfie photo didn't come through! :)

It comes through on my phone.

Hey Quad Linda, were you trying to make Cheech and Chong paranoid? No chance of that if they play in Denver now though ;). I considered going to the War/C&C show on New Year's Eve, but opted for Roky Erickson at the 300 person capacity Beat Kitchen. Roky sounded spot on, as did his backing band.

Goodness I missed that Young Rascals posting, all 4 of them together!! A songwriter friend here in Nashville has run into Felix several times in recent years, this show is nothing short of a miracle!

It comes through on my phone.

It looks like she may have changed the Post cause I used to see 3 out of 4 photos. There may be something wacky going on using Google Chrome but all I see now when I click on any of the image links are: Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

No big deal! :)

Felix Cavaliere's Rascals will be playing the Arcada Theater in St. Charles, IL (west suburban Chicago) in September, 2014.

Goodness I missed that Young Rascals posting, all 4 of them together!! A songwriter friend here in Nashville has run into Felix several times in recent years, this show is nothing short of a miracle!

A weekend of rock to look forward to.

CCF05012014_0000 (918x1280).jpg

I haven't seen Blue Oyster Cult since January 1982 at Sophia Gardens, Cardiff, I think it was the next day that the hall roof caved in under the weight of snow!

Going to see The Aristocrats on San Diego with friends next week, pretty psyc'd about it!

The irony is they will be playing a club that I played in the 1980s about a dozen times.

Back