The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Friday night I saw Hiromi with her trio (Jimmy Johnson - bass, Simon Phillips - drums). Absolutely stunning. I have several of her recordings but the live experience betters them all. She's a tremendously charismatic and energetic performer with brilliant technique - and is an endlessly creative improviser. Highly recommend, particularly for fans of progressive jazz.

Saw Steven Wilson tonight at The Belasco in L.A.- Ninet Tayeb performed live in person "Routine" and "Ancestral"... stunning!

I was there too, great show! I was in the back, and there were some nice surround effects to vocals and other elements coming from the rear surrounds at various points (wish I could have gotten up to the sweet spot!). Started with full Hand.Cannot.Erase from start to finish, and then a number of songs from 4 1/2 and a few PT greatest hits. "2001 A Space Oddity" in honor of Bowie.

It was my first time seeing him.

I saw Steven Wilson in Auckland, NZ the other week...too.

It was his first time in New Zealand. And my first time seeing him...(y)

Actually both! Lazarus during the second set and Space Oddity in the encore. Set list here: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/steven-wilson/2016/belasco-theater-los-angeles-ca-73fad66d.html

I sincerely believe that is in error. I attended Portland, LA and Solana Beach and Space Oddity was not performed. She did sing Don't Hate Me as she did on 4-1/2 album.

Relatedly I drove to Chicago last February where Ninet participated in only that show and Space Oddity was performed (just weeks after David's passing).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sincerely believe that is in error. I attended Portland, LA and Solana Beach and Space Oddity was not performed. She did sing Don't Hate Me as she did on 4-1/2 album.

Relatedly I drove to Chicago last February where Ninet participated in only that show and Space Oddity was performed (just weeks after David's passing).

Tim, that's very possible - I left right before that song due to the long driveback home, which I'm embarrassed to admit!

Even though they do not have the name, ARW (Anderson, Rabin, and Wakeman) are most certainly YES!
I think I can truly say that last night's ARW concert in Nashville was the best Yes-related show I have ever been to!

Right from the opening strains of "Cinema" which led into "Perpetual Change" ARW were on fire all night, and Jon Anderson's voice sounded as good as I had hoped it would!
Hearing Trevor Rabin play all of those great "90125" and "Big Generator" songs was really cool too, especially seeing as how you would never get most of those songs at a regular Yes concert these days. "Hold On" and "Changes" were particularly awesome from that era of Yes songs played last night.
I did miss Steve Howe a little bit last night during a few small moments of "And You And I" and "Awaken" but there were even more moments in both of those songs were Trevor did a fine job making them his own.

What were the two biggest highlights? The best song of the evening was a particularly ferocious and intense rendering of "Heart of the Sunrise" and a guitar & key tar solo battle on "Owner of a Lonely Heart" that culminated in both Trevor & Rick climbing down the front of the stage and walking down the left aisle to stop and jam right on the end of my row! I was in the middle, but I was still mere feet away from Rick Wakeman! Oh, goodness, that was exciting!

Finally, I should say that this was the first Yes-related concert I have attended since the untimely death of Chris Squire, and Jon made a poignant tribute to him before the group launched into a new rendering of "Long Distance Runaround/The Fish" complete with a great bass solo by the fabulous Lee Pomeroy.

If you like YES and you live in either the US or the UK, do whatever you can to go to this concert! You will not regret it! This is a band, and they are amazing, especially the great Louis Molino III on drums. He and Lee together created a solid foundation that made everyone else sound even better on top. Long live ARW! :)

Ears still ringing from seeing Steven Wilson 12 hours ago.
Industrial foam earplugs rated @33 dB were required.

I now have a subwoofer calibration factor for re-creating the live concert mix at home:
The feeling of the fabric of my trousers vibrating against the back of my knees and my viscera resonating.

Surround notes:
There were a pair of smallish speakers on stands in the back of the main floor, where I sat in the 12th row.
I walked up to the balcony, and sure enough a second pair were way up at the very top for those folks.
I only heard surround content in the opening video, kids playing.
Nice gesture, though.
The merchandise table offered a large assortment of CDs and vinyl, but not a single surround mix.

Sat in the last seat by the left wall, could not determine if the house mix was in stereo.
The FOH mixing board was in the far back corner of the main floor.
A clear mix of all instruments, but subwoofer overload as we expect at any "rock" show these days.

Light show notes:
Enjoyed the video projections on a huge screen behind the stage.
As an old guy, I've been weary for decades of the smog machines that lighting artists think are necessary for their medium.

Looking over the shoulder of folks photographing it on their phones, I noticed digital cameras don't accurately render what the eye perceives.
The beams of light that were softly blended appear sharper and contrasty.

Left at encore during the Prince cover for my three-hour drive home, fueled by a thermos of coffee and lit by the largest and brightest super moon of my lifetime.
Listened on the car stereo to Cre/ation on the way down in the sun and TFTO coming home with the stars extinguished by the brilliant orb high above lighting the harvested fields.
:D

Last edited:
Snood off to see Steven Wilson here in Orlando in about 2 hours :banana:

Earplugs are at the ready lol:mad:@:

Snood off to see Steven Wilson here in Orlando in about 2 hours :banana:

Earplugs are at the ready lol:mad:@:

Ummm Wow - Steven sure gives ya Big bang for the buck - the guy did not stop playing til 1:10 AM Yes 1:10 AM started a lil before 10 PM - had a 20 minute break after doing the complete Hand Cannot Erase.......then kept going and going.

A bit loud but was fine - Snood was in the front row balcony............the floor was standing general admission :rolleyes:

Gonna admit Snood not the most adept Steven Wilson fan..........dabble here and there.

The guy impressed Snood - very personable interacting etc........great band - bass was a lil harsh at the beginning - he did have some surround sound speakers in the balcony which were used more than me thought they would be.

Snood swear, to me his voice sounds better live then recorded.......is that weird RT?? Was pretty impressed by his voice live.

My buddy who came with Snood had no idea cept listening to Hand..........even he was impressed and he is not a prog guy.

1:10 in the morning!!!!! :yikes:yikes

Snood says go catch him............tickets are cheapish and he plays on forrrrrrrever lol :mad:@:

Oh he forgot the day was Friday instead of Saturday.........after the break he made fun of himself about it. Very impressed by the musicianship and the person :banana:

Last edited:
Next show is front row Al Di Meola in February followed by 6th row Brian Wilson in March :banana:

20161121_204905-1.jpg Here comes the mighty Crimson Beast!

Snood - yes it's a three hour show. Why did they not start until 10 o'clock? The four shows I attended all started at 7:30 PM or 8:00 PM with or without opening act.

The one I went to in Bristol UK was 8pm as well.

Snood - yes it's a three hour show. Why did they not start until 10 o'clock? The four shows I attended all started at 7:30 PM or 8:00 PM with or without opening act.

Oh , man ...I just got back from the 1st night of King Crimson in Madrid (tomorrow is the 2nd one!)

OOOOOOOOOO-EEEEEEEEEEEEEE
YYYEEEEEHAAAAAAAAWWW!!!

Last edited:

Dunno - Doors opened at 8 and show started at 9pm - John Wesley opened played a lil over 30 minutes........break then close to 10 Steven came on.........ended 1:10AM lol:mad:@:

OK, so ...I'm a KC addict...hello, my name is....

ooooohhhhhhh

today...I just LOOOOVE the fact that they change the set list, but today Tony (who are we kidding? you may think it's Robert's band..and yes , he's the guiding light ...but LIVE...KC is TONY'S baby....he CARRIES the band ,,,bassist anyone?)
and today "Red" was a totally left field approach..it was a Tony Lev SOLO all around...he was just took over the Captain's seat.....like he did yesterday..but today..he probably had some Rioja or Ribera del Duero last night...and he loved it.....and WE loved it...

and can we say

WHOOOOOAAA-EEEYYYY
YYYYEEEEHHHAHHAAAWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

that's some thigh slapping rhythm a 'goin'...

You can NEVER have enough KCRIMSON LIVE!!!!!

(EDIT: my bad..it wasn't during "Red", it was during "LTIA II"...this brain of mine... :=P ...but still, Tony definitely carries the group...he's my hero!!!!)

Last edited:
Back