The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..."Plus Manny Moore to be Announced."

Who is this Manny Moore?!? :mad:@:

Isn't that Michael Moore's brother Manny?? ;)

220px-Michael_Moore_2011_Shankbone_4.JPG

Sounds like a cool show!

Last night: Imagine Dragons/Nico Vega/Naked and Famous at Allstate Area (formerly Rosemont Horizon) Rosemont, IL.
20140126-kendricklamar-x600-1390792491.jpg
Aja.jpg
the_naked_and_famous_js_280513.jpg

A packed house, some great tunes. I was old enough to be most of these folks' grandmother.

You're NEVER too old to rock and roll, if you're too young to die. - Ian Anderson

I saw the latest incarnation of Camel (only Andy Latimer left from the originals) in Birmingham (UK) on Monday. A fantastic night, they did the whole of Snow Goose in the first half, then a selection of stuff in the second. Great musicianship, and different arrangements from those on record, which I always like to see and hear a band do. I think they enjoyed the gig as much as the audience.

I just got home from seeing Yes at the National Arts Center. What a great show. They played "The Yes Album", "Close To The Edge", and "Going For The One" straight through with Roundabout as an encore! It was like listening to rock recorded by Angel records! Great music in front and audience in the rears. Now I HAVE to get the surround discs. I am only glad I haven't gone bald yet, like 2/3 of the male portion of the audience. There were even a few fathers teaching their teenage sons about real music!

Hi All,

Has been a busy few weeks:

Musical Box - Foxtrot (White Show), 3/4/14 Ogden Theater, Denver
Pat Metheny - 3/7/14 Paramount Theater, Denver
ZZ Top/28 North - 3/8/14 Paramount Theater, Denver
Papadosio/Main Squeeze - 3/13/14 Echoplex, Los Angeles, CA
Steve Hackett - 3/29/14 Capitol Theater, Port Chester, NY

All of these gigs were great. The ZZ gig was the shortest - they consistently play 75 to 80 minutes, which is weak for a band with such a big catalog. You could say it's because they are old, but this has been the case for most of their career, I'm afraid. Still, nice performance including Hendrix covers Foxy Lady and Carfish Blues (itself a cover, but played in the Hendrix style). Hackett was fantastic!!!! Same with Musical Box. Interesting to see them so close together. Metheny did part of his show accompanied by midi-triggered instruments. He still had the rest of his 5 piece band with him during those songs. I understand he did one tour with just him and the robots. Very enjoyable! Papadosio & Main Squeeze were both new to me. The former was my fave of the two - kinda techno meets jam band. Check them out on YouTube - cool light show!

My next big gig: Wait for it..... Monty Python, O2 Arena, London 7/1/14

If any UK QQ'ers want to get together for a beer at the end of June, PM me. I will be in the UK for more than just the night of the show, and not just in London, so let me know!

Hey Doppelbock - drop me a PM next time you are coming to Denver if you'd like some familiar "surroundings."

Ken

See y'all in the hall!

This evening we went to see Vandaveer. I was not familiar with them but they were doing a living room concert at a friend of my wife's house so we decided to check it out. I actually enjoyed it - they do the folky murder-ballad stuff, nothing new or particularly innovative but they do a decent job of it.

Next up is Neko Case up in Santa Fe a week from Monday - looking forward to that one as her show last fall was cancelled at the last minute.

Hawkwind's HawkEaster next weekend, then Birmingham for Rick Wakeman on the 29th, who said the 70's were over!

Keb Mo' last thursday night at the Pabst Theater in Milwaukee. That's on the next block from the Fonz statue and the building Laverne & Shirley stand in front of. Great show! He did many songs from his new CD which comes out on 4/24. He had perhaps 10 different guitars, including a National. Don't miss him!

8363E82F0792912D5F445043B2169584.jpg

92375_I_stage.jpg
pabst-pabst_nws_Jack-Orton_B.jpg
A snippet of "Like the Old Me Better" from the new album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Unznpiw-SE

So, how were they, Dennis? I saw them a few years ago at Skyline Stage on Chicago's Navy Pier and got to meet Paul. A very nice guy!

We just got word that Armin Van Buuren tonight at United Center in Chicago was cancelled. Obviously, we were among the woeful few that bought tix. Phooey!

The only other cancelled concerts I've had tickets for were Spirit at Biddy Mulligan's and Miles Davis at the Vic on April Fool's Day. Fortunately, got to see Spirit after that and Miles several times.

Going to see Paul Revere and the Raiders tonight. Should be fun.

So, how were they, Dennis? I saw them a few years ago at Skyline Stage on Chicago's Navy Pier and got to meet Paul. A very nice guy!

Thanks for asking Linda.

They were great! Paul Revere is the only original member from the 60's, but he has a couple band members that have been with him 25-30 years. He is 76 years old and had assistance getting on and off the stage. He is quite the performer though. He talks between songs and has sort of a campy shtick thing he does which was pretty funny. He forgets his lines, and the band yells at him and steers him back on track. He made fun of everybody, but mostly himself. The band members were spot on with all of their hits and the lead singers voice was a dead ringer for Mark Lindsay back in their heyday. They played a montage of other early 60's songs and closed the first set with "Indian Reservation". I remember watching "Where the Action Is" with Dick Clark, back in "66". Of course Paul Revere and the Raiders were the house band and did at least one of their songs on each show.

You gotta give him credit for still being out on the road at 76!

Awesome!!!!!How was the show? Lotta new or old stuff or rearrangements?

well he played the guitar really well,...which was handy as he was the only guitarist in the 4 piece band... lots of use of distortion and tape loops ..so he could play over the top of his riffs...sounded like Hendrix at times..
Lots of new and old tunes.I think he started with "45" and was more rock for most of the night. He played a few Jesse Winchester tunes ..ended the show with Allison,Pump It Up and I want You...He also did Oliver's Army,watching the detectives and I write The Book and his band made his songs a bit heavier than the originals..It was 2 hour show and he often went from one 3 minute song straight into the next one..Lot's of songs played...you get your money's worth with this guy...which is good because the tickets were nearly $150 each

well he played the guitar really well,...which was handy as he was the only guitarist in the 4 piece band... lots of use of distortion and tape loops ..so he could play over the top of his riffs...sounded like Hendrix at times..
Lots of new and old tunes.I think he started with "45" and was more rock for most of the night. He played a few Jesse Winchester tunes ..ended the show with Allison,Pump It Up and I want You...did Oliver's Army and I write The Book..It was 2 hour show and he often went from one 3 minute song straight into the next one..Lot's of songs played

Nice Nice Nice - Snood jealous :smokin

01.jpg

My writing partner's band, Coronet Blue, played the Byron Bay BluesFest yesterday and today.
Lineup was:
Ken Stringfellow keyboards
Blondie Chaplin guitar
Rob Ladd drums
John Rooney vocals
Don Dixon bass
Mitch Easter guitar

Back