New Ziggy Stardust 40th annv release will have a Dolby 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silvahalo007

Looks like they are just porting the 2003 mix to the DVD but there will be 5.1 bonus tracks.

REMASTERED ZIGGY 40TH VINYL/CD/DVD DUE IN JUNE

I'd come on like a regular superstar...

EMI are excited to announce the release of a 40th anniversary edition of David Bowie’s truly groundbreaking and hugely influential album, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars.

Due on June 4th (June 5th U.S.) – to mark the 40th anniversary of Ziggy, the formats will include the following...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

CD:

A new 2012 remaster of the original album. Digitally remastered by Ray Staff, original mastering engineer for Ziggy at Trident Studios, and Ken Scott – original co-producer.

LP:
A new 2012 remaster of the original album on heavyweight 180g vinyl. Digitally remastered by Ray Staff.

DVD:
2012 remaster (96/24 PCM stereo) Digitally remastered by Ray Staff.

Ken Scott 2003 5.1 mixes (DTS 48/24 & Dolby Digital) and stereo fold downs (48/24 PCM) – original album plus the following 5.1 previously unreleased bonus tracks:

Moonage Daydream (instrumental)
The Supermen
Velvet Goldmine
Sweet Head

There will also be a digital download of the new 2012 remaster.

That 2003 mix is absolutely awful. A perfect example of a modern producer not being able to do with multitracks what I could easily do with stereo. Floating vocal all over the place with little instrumental differentiation.

A 24/96 stereo master, much like they did with "Station to Station," would have piqued my interest. Otherwise, there's very little to see here.

That 2003 mix is absolutely awful. A perfect example of a modern producer not being able to do with multitracks what I could easily do with stereo. Floating vocal all over the place with little instrumental differentiation.

A 24/96 stereo master, much like they did with "Station to Station," would have piqued my interest. Otherwise, there's very little to see here.

It was bad, I gave mine away. You would think at least a BD would be in the set, especially today - kind of typical.

Yeah, nothing too exciting. What a tragedy that Station to Station mix was. And can we please get anniversary reissues of Low and Heroes already? Instead of trotting out reissues of Ziggy and Aladdin every five years...

"The surround mixes will be available in DTS 48/24 and Dolby Digital"....is the 2003 SACD surround mix a higher resolution?

"The surround mixes will be available in DTS 48/24 and Dolby Digital"....is the 2003 SACD surround mix a higher resolution?

As far as I know, yes, because the SACD is DSD (Direct Stream Digital). DTS and Dolby are lossy and SACD is not. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

As far as I know, yes, because the SACD is DSD (Direct Stream Digital). DTS and Dolby are lossy and SACD is not. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Even if someone were to create the least lossless format ever created by man, it still wouldn't change the problems with that mix.

yes, you're correct with DSD as lossless HiRes stream.

Even if someone were to create the least lossless format ever created by man, it still wouldn't change the problems with that mix.

i don't know what so much you don't like about mix.
it could be not super but still decent pretty discrete mix.

i would prefer to have this album on DVDA but since EMI again fed us with mp3 i will stick to SACD.
damn, i started to hate this label :smack:

i don't know what so much you don't like about mix.
it could be not super but still decent pretty discrete mix.

I disagree. I think the mix is about as big an abomination as the STS mix. The vocal just bleeds and echoes all over the soundfield. Absolute "big stereo" done for no reason whatsoever. Why producers not named "Steven Wilson" do this is beyond me. The stereo mix run through SPEC offers a much more contained vocal, with greater space between instruments and information in the rears, than the retail 5.1 mix does. The encoding is there, yet they can't find it with multis at their disposal.

There's your biggest problem with what the labels feed you: Not only do they not give you much, but only about half of what they even give you is worth listening to more than once.

Funny, I really like the 5.1 Ziggy from 2003. In fact, one of my favorite SACD. It would be interesting to see a Blu-ray edition, if it was mastered in PCM.

I must say I really like the Young Americans 5.1 mix. I often use that as a demo disc. If only they stayed consistent with the Bowie anniversary issues. What could have been. But as usual it's all verkakte.

I must say I really like the Young Americans 5.1 mix. I often use that as a demo disc. If only they stayed consistent with the Bowie anniversary issues. What could have been. But as usual it's all verkakte.

That's a very good mix. Love that one. That and "Heathen" are the two good ones for sure.

I can listen to the SACD okay but have mentally cataloged as "strange" like Neil Young - Harvest DVD-A. We'll see what happens.

Back