how many of us are musicians

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leevitalone1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
after seeing KK's pic and the drums, and Paul singing, I wonder how many actually play an instrument?
I took windwoods in lower school, drums after. If I may add, not too shabby either. But could never / ever practice, everyone hated the noise. and all I wanted was to play. got into more shit over practice, I jut gave up

One that I'm sure is a brilliant Bassist/Guitarist is Lucanu...seen him shredding in several videos!!!

I tinker around on a few instruments like guitar, keys/synths but am probably most proficient on drums as that's all I ever had any real training on (and that was many years ago)

Like Doppelbock, I've been primarily a tinkerer. I have a guitar, which I haven't picked up in a couple years. My nails are too long and there are no callusses. The long nails on the right hand would work for finger-picking. I learned long ago to type with the tips of my nails.

In my two previous houses, my then spouse had pianos. I would noodle and used them for writing. I love all the notes laid out in a row. Piano became my most frequent vehicle for baring my soul.

The instruments I was most serious about are percussion. I took some lessons from Airto Moriera. Fingers - CTI SQ/Q8/Q4. I met him through the folks at Slingerland Drums here in Chicago. He taught me some incredible techniques and philosophy. He also has some absolutely fascinating stories. He would speak of "moosicians." Love that accent! Many of my LP's of his are autographed. Sadly, Fingers isn't one of them. I began as a drummer and guitarist at 14, and graduated to timbales, octabans, and conga. Mostly, I've played my practice pad. lol!! Airto turned me onto berimbau, surdo grande, cuica, surdo pequeno, and a variety of Brazilian percussion. He also advocated playing conga with sticks. It produces a radically different sound, BUT it allows one to play many other percussion instruments simultaneously. He expanded my pallette, and I was never the same. For his best demonstration of this technique, listen to Toque de Cuica on Airto's Touching You, Touching Me 2ch album. I often used it to demonstrate speakers. :phones

Since I'm nowhere as cute as Sheila E(scovedo), I didn't pursue a career in music.

Lessons from Airto Moriera? Most awesome!

I'm in the tinkerer club also. Played bass clarinet in school, then bass guitar in punk/psych/pop bands after that. Had my name on one album, but I wasn't on it! (Original guy left and me being the sound man got promoted.) Do have a jam room for when the old band is all in one city, used to play drums to stay in shape.
If I can ever get my MOTU 828 II interface working together with a computer I'll do some recording. I need to start a thread about that in Equipment.

One that I'm sure is a brilliant Bassist/Guitarist is Lucanu...seen him shredding in several videos!!!

I seem to remember a pretty decent video with you "making music" yourself there kap'n (or was it SQ10?)

Anyway, mark me down for Piano and Guitar. Self taught, of course, but I can fake it pretty well with both.

I seem to remember a pretty decent video with you "making music" yourself there kap'n (or was it SQ10?)

Anyway, mark me down for Piano and Guitar. Self taught, of course, but I can fake it pretty well with both.

Thanks for the "vote of confidence" Jon, especially coming from you ;) (and all the other members that enjoyed it too, it does mean a lot to me)
yes, that was me...

Interesting to see how many musicians are here....

and Linda....geeeez, percussion classes from none other than Airto Moreira???? Beyond cool!!!

and I thought that I had a cool story from when I met Tony Levin and told him that HE was my Stick teacher (I'll never forget that look on his face "????"), and then I told him that it was through the KC in Japan '84 VHS that I learned (true), so , even though I graduated from Berklee, I am mostly self taught-anyway I consider myself a bass player..the rest is just bonus....

It's funny cause in the States(work wise) they actually recognize the fact that musicians make excellent workers, since we have a lot of discipline and we use both brain hemispheres all the time...unfortunately, here in Spain, when you say in an interview that you are a musician they treat you like a leper....or worse!

I would not consider my self a musician, but do occaisionally pick up a bass and play with some friends. i dont really have the the patience to sit down and practice properly to become proper proficiant.

Well, I had four years of piano when I was a kid and I can fake three chord rock and roll ala Little Richard.

I can kind of play drums as that was what I really always wanted to play but never committed.

That's it.

:D

Doug

Played trumpet for about 7 years back in the school days......played a poor lead guitar by default in my fraternity's basement band....on a Rickenbacker 6 string, not really made for that!
Now I'm in Linda's league (except the fingernails), I've got a 67 Hagstrom III, a Japanese Rick 12 string knockoff (probably circa 1970), and an acoustic lying about that I never find the time to practice. John

Trombone throughout grade school to high school...was pretty good but it just didn't fit in with the engineering college lifestyle, so it sits gathering dust. My daughter actually played it for a few years in school.

Took lessons in both classical and then rock guitar as an adult, but I never had that "gift" I saw in good musicians who could just pick up an instrument and figure it out. Anything I learned was very laborious. Still tinker with both but would be scared to play in front of anyone else.

Now I wait until I have to be on the phone for a boring work conference call - I put the phone on mute and pick up the guitar and enjoy myself!

Trombone throughout grade school to high school...was pretty good but it just didn't fit in with the engineering college lifestyle, so it sits gathering dust. My daughter actually played it for a few years in school.

Took lessons in both classical and then rock guitar as an adult, but I never had that "gift" I saw in good musicians who could just pick up an instrument and figure it out. Anything I learned was very laborious. Still tinker with both but would be scared to play in front of anyone else.

Now I wait until I have to be on the phone for a boring work conference call - I put the phone on mute and pick up the guitar and enjoy myself!

trombone is really tough to play. I remember in school something about your mouth and teeth regarding ability to play windwood or brass. I really can pick up any instument and play a simple tune on it in 10 min. or less. But no further than mary had a little lamb.

Quadzilla in 1980, with 1978 Rickenbacker 4001. Sinners.jpg

Gulity as charged; primarily bass but also various guitar and keyboards out of necessity. Dabble with drums at times too.

Some of my material is at the link in my signature and the phone hold music at work is my stuff with announcements produced by me.

The instrument is use the most is my voice. I sing daily in the shower, while playing my main system, in the car, while doing a chore, even in bed. :yikes It's my first and favorite instrument! In kindegarten, I was the perfect student EXCEPT I liked to hum while other kids were learning to read. My Aunts taught me at 3, so I was bored. I was writing in kindegarten! For many years, I wrote almost prolifically. Now, I rarely get the inspiration to write a song. I don't know why??? Instead, I come up with lots of arrangements. My late Mother had an electronic keyboard/synthesizer, which I inherited. It's something I need to fiddle with. I also bought an electronic guitar, which has also been neglected. Too many toys, not enough time...

Back