Best Porcupine Tree Demo Track?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Many of us were first introduced to Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson by our search for surround music. However, there are many folks out there who have not heard any PT music in stereo or surround. So the question:

You have someone's attention for ONE SONG. You have at your disposal all of the Porcupine Tree DVD-A's (let's stick with PT and leave the other SW stuff out of this one).

Which Disc/Track do you go to for the most impressive demo, surround mix and great tune combination?

My choice is "Shesmovedon", as the tune is great, and the minute the song starts, you KNOW it's surround. Perfect mix, and the way the lead vocal sits center, then the other vocals arrive all around you or floating above you, it's a real head turner.

Killer guitar solo as well.

Now you.......................:phones

I'd probably have to go with "Even Less", just sounds amazing.

or if the person is more "proggy" I'd definitely go for "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here".

BTW - My first experience with PT was an MP3 from a friend at work of Deadwing.. I liked it so much I looked it up online and then found out they had DVD-As for Deadwing and In Absentia :yikes... The rest is history...

I'd probably have to go with "Even Less", just sounds amazing.

or if the person is more "proggy" I'd definitely go for "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here".
Those are exactly the same 2 that came to my mind when I first read Jon's opening post about 5 hours ago. So yeah, I go with those.

Blackest Eyes could have been my favorite if they hadn't compressed the sound so much.

Difficult decision; Trains because it incorporates acoustic and heavy electric textures along with the odd instrumental touches in a top notch classic.

Yep, I still use "Trains" quite often as a go to demo for PT, and as a general surround demo as well.

"Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" is a personal PT favorite!

My favorite for its surround mix while driving in the car is Heartattack in a Layby. It sounds fabulous in the Hyundai Genesis. And hopefully no Heartattack!

Last edited:
Heart Attack in a Layby if the person isn't really into prog and stuff since it's quite the mellow track of course and the harmony vocals at the end really show what multichannel can do and sound like.

If the person is perhaps more into heavier or proggier stuff I'd go with Arriving Somewhere But Not Here or even (parts of) Anesthetize.

Ahem, SW might disapprove, the albums should be listened to in their entirety ;)

That said, "Drown With Me" is a personal favorite of mine, and I would probably go with that.

That said, "Drown With Me" is a personal favorite of mine, and I would probably go with that.

Drown With Me is usually my go-to for demos. Drown With Me, Shesmovedon-Deadwing, and Sound of Muzak all seem to instantly click with most people, and they're great examples of what's possible with surround. How is your Life Today is also another good one, but may be a little "strange" for some people who aren't already familiar with PT.

Really just depends on the person though. PT has given us so much great and diverse music to pick from, and so many incredible surround pieces, that I can almost always find the perfect song to demo for most musical tastes.

Which Disc/Track do you go to for the most impressive demo, surround mix and great tune combination?

My choice is "Shesmovedon", as the tune is great, and the minute the song starts, you KNOW it's surround. Perfect mix, and the way the lead vocal sits center, then the other vocals arrive all around you or floating above you, it's a real head turner.

Killer guitar solo as well.

Now you.......................:phones

Pardon my ignorance on the subject, but which DVD-A is that song from???? I noticed on the replies that it's on...TWO different discs?

Pardon my ignorance on the subject, but which DVD-A is that song from???? I noticed on the replies that it's on...TWO different discs?

It is there as a regular track in Lightbulb sun & as a bonus in Deadwing

Back