10 Bands No Longer Around That You're Glad You Saw Live

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too many years and cities ago to accurately ascertain when and where but all were with original members at the time, so here goes:

Moody Blues (with Mike Pinder and Mellotron)
Pink Floyd (DSOTM tour)
Muddy Waters
Stevie Ray Vaughan with Double Trouble (oddest double bill pairing with later Moody Blues lineup)
Marshall Tucker Band
Harry Chapin (bassist had AMAZING falsetto)
Gordon Lightfoot (with Richard "T-Bone" Haynes)
Bruce Springsteen
Grateful Dead
Judy Collins

On a side note, we had tickets for Led Zeppelin when they were touring to promote "Same Old Song, Same Old Shit" ..er..."Song Remains The Same" but sold them as at that time the band seemed like it was not expanding and just rehashing. No regrets.

WOW! Quite a list, Mr. Poohbah. Yes, John Wallace, Chapin's bassist, had quite a falsetto, best highlighted on Mr. Tanner's "O Holy Night" interludes.

I failed to include that Lightfoot aggregation. I've seen Lightfoot many times, including at the Desert Inn (RIP) in Las Vegas. The only disappointment was a concert at Ravinia, Highland Park, IL. There was a monsoon, which actually closed US 41, the Edens Expwy, a mile away. Yet, he never did "Rainy Day People." Perhaps it seemed too obvious. Good thing we had pavillion seats!

My fondness for Ms. Collins will never die. She had asked my then eight YO Daughter to sit beside her at the piano bench while she played! Sadly, we had no camera to document this. Inside and out, a beautiful woman.

Harry Chapin (bassist had AMAZING falsetto)
Gordon Lightfoot (with Richard "T-Bone" Haynes)
Judy Collins

LIke many here, I was fortunate to be a child of the late 60's/early 70's. Living in NYC, I had the opportunity to see many great bygone bands - often multiple headliner shows at the Fillmore East, Madison Square Garden & Central Park for under $5. Here's just a few that stick out;

The Nazz - Todd Rundgren's first band
The Young Rascals - The Beatles of Long Island
The Vagrants (Leslie West's first band) - they had a "minor" hit single with a great version of "Respect"
The Mothers w/Flo & Eddie - live at the Fillmore East 1971
Sha Na Na - local Columbia University students goofing around (at first)
Miles Davis (Bitches Brew lineup) - great double bill w/Santana at Tanglewood in Lenox, Mass
The Youngbloods - along with CSNY, Joni Mitchell w/Tom Scott's LA Express & The Beach Boys - Roosevelt Raceway 1974 (first & only show I ever slept on line overnight to get a good seat for)
Iron Butterfly - Fillmore East
Poco - opening for the Moody Blues at the Felt Forum (the boxing arena at MSG)
Seatrain - great forgotten country rock band SUNY @ Cortland

WOW, Elmer! A pile of acts I haven't seen and would love to, and the rest are classic lineups I've never seen. Not a bad one in the bunch. Was Peter Rowan in Seatrain when you saw them at SUNY?

Just fortunate enough to be born in the right time and place! And yes, Peter Rowan, along with Andy Kulberg (from Blues Project - always loved his "Flute Thing") and Richard Greene on violin! Great party band!

Did the snack bar serve MOFONGO? YUM!!!

LOL!!!
oh Linda, you are cruel!!!! mofongo.. I miss it!!! along with "carrucho"(conch shellfish) salad...

... this was one of two concerts in the Hiram Bithorn Baseball stadium in which the stage was placed behind second base (the other one was Cheap Trick '81, which I also saw)...

BTW I AM from PR....

LIke many here, I was fortunate to be a child of the late 60's/early 70's. Living in NYC, I had the opportunity to see many great bygone bands - often multiple headliner shows at the Fillmore East, Madison Square Garden & Central Park for under $5. Here's just a few that stick out;

The Nazz - Todd Rundgren's first band
The Young Rascals - The Beatles of Long Island
The Vagrants (Leslie West's first band) - they had a "minor" hit single with a great version of "Respect"
The Mothers w/Flo & Eddie - live at the Fillmore East 1971
Sha Na Na - local Columbia University students goofing around (at first)
Miles Davis (Bitches Brew lineup) - great double bill w/Santana at Tanglewood in Lenox, Mass
The Youngbloods - along with CSNY, Joni Mitchell w/Tom Scott's LA Express & The Beach Boys - Roosevelt Raceway 1974 (first & only show I ever slept on line overnight to get a good seat for)
Iron Butterfly - Fillmore East
Poco - opening for the Moody Blues at the Felt Forum (the boxing arena at MSG)
Seatrain - great forgotten country rock band SUNY @ Cortland

"The Mothers w/Flo & Eddie - live at the Fillmore East 1971"

"THE PHLORESCENT LEECH & EDDIE"?? AKA the Turtles?
What a band!

http://www.theturtles.com/

Billy the Mountain. Ethel was a tree growing out of his shoulder.

The Turtles were (IMHO) a very underrated Power Pop band - mostly known for "Happy Together" but very prolific during their time. The Mother's show I saw was a few years before "Billy The Mountain" - the main theme being "The Mudshark" featuring Zappa's scatological humor at it's best - but I digress - "Phlo & Eddie" were very entertaining indeed. A few years later, in their "lean" years, I bought my daughter her first LP - the soundtrack to the TV show, "Strawberry Shortcake" - written and performed by none other the Mark Volman and Howie Kaylan - AKA Flo & Eddie :yikes:yikes

She's my girl...off in the sky, that's where I was last night.

The Turtles were (IMHO) a very underrated Power Pop band - mostly known for "Happy Together" but very prolific during their time. The Mother's show I saw was a few years before "Billy The Mountain" - the main theme being "The Mudshark" featuring Zappa's scatological humor at it's best - but I digress - "Phlo & Eddie" were very entertaining indeed. A few years later, in their "lean" years, I bought my daughter her first LP - the soundtrack to the TV show, "Strawberry Shortcake" - written and performed by none other the Mark Volman and Howie Kaylan - AKA Flo & Eddie :yikes:yikes

Question:
What do you do if your lead singer gets sick?

Answer:
Get the lead singer from a tribute band....

Question #2:
What do you do if your replacement lead singer gets "sick"?

Answer #2:
Get another tribute band lead singer :yikes......

I saw Yes on the weekend - they were in NZ for the first time ever !!!! I actually think I prefer the replacement of the replacement to Jon Anderson..:yikes
http://13thfloor.co.nz/reviews/concert-reviews/yes-the-vector-arena-auckland-april-1-2012/

And just for the record I saw YES with Jon Anderson in Florida in the 90's....

Mr. Poobah: I saw Muddy Waters at the Chicago Blues Festival in Chicago in 1981. Johnny Winter came out and jammed with him! What a show! I can't believe I forgot to mention that one!

Elmer & Linda: I found this on the Turtles website, under "The History of Flo & Eddie and the Turtles", I thought it was pretty funny.

Interesting to note... early in the Mothers' career, Reb Foster, an L.A. disk jockey (and Turtles' manager) had told Zappa, "I'd like to clean you guys up a bit and mold you. I believe I could make you as big as The Turtles."

No commercial potential - a Columbia Records exec describing Zappa after an early audition

When I worked for CBS, we quipped that the eye was always watching.
Interesting to note... early in the Mothers' career, Reb Foster, an L.A. disk jockey (and Turtles' manager) had told Zappa, "I'd like to clean you guys up a bit and mold you. I believe I could make you as big as The Turtles."

Mr. Poobah: I saw Muddy Waters at the Chicago Blues Festival in Chicago in 1981. Johnny Winter came out and jammed with him! What a show! I can't believe I forgot to mention that one!

I think you're thinking of Chicagofest 1981. The Blues Fest didn't exist until a few years later. I was at the Muddy Waters Chicagofest show when Johnny Winter came out. Great show!

I think you're thinking of Chicagofest 1981. The Blues Fest didn't exist until a few years later. I was at the Muddy Waters Chicagofest show when Johnny Winter came out. Great show!

Sounds right, I'm surprised I remember as much as I do considering the amount of brain cells destroyed at all these shows. :smokin

Strawbs and King Crimson at the Santa Monica Civic 1974?

Probably June 19th, 1974 Los Angeles at the Shrine Auditorium and I was there! We got there early, walked in the back door. Hung around the loading dock. Strawbs keyboardist Jon Hawkin and his girlfriend got out of a '69 Firebird and said hello as they walked in. What a show.

When and where did you see Sparks? There were going to play San Diego 1976 (Indiscreet) but cancelled.

Back