10 Bands No Longer Around That You're Glad You Saw Live

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to became a musician after seeing ELP (BSS) & KC (SABB), both shows in the first half of 1974. Here are some other bands I thankfully got to see:

1. The Steve Morse Band 1983 SD State Back Door, The Fents* opened the show,
2. The Police 1983 Synchronicity SD State,
3. Romeo Void 1981 @ Mira Costa College,
4. Triumvirat 1974 Shrine Auditorium,
5. Genesis 1977 San Diego & LA in same week
6. Led Zeppelin 1975 SD Sports Arena,
7. Pink Floyd 1980 The Wall LA Sports Arena + 1994 Vanderbilt Stadium Nashville
8. Jaco Pastious 1982 SD Baccanal (was reverse heckled when I asked who guitar player was; [Mike Stern] Jaco said "Charlie Christian")
9. Weather Report 1978 LA
10. Gentle Giant 1974-76 five shows I can remember SD & LA always amazing

I'll always regret getting into a band about 6 months too late; Jeff Buckley perhaps the most missed opportunity.

* Recently I stumbled uon a webpage where I found out that The Fents - First Offense album (1982) was available on CD if I mailed a check. I inserted a brief note recalling that I saw them play live opening for Steve Morse and that I called the phone number on the back of the album jacket in 1983 not long after the show. You may recognize the name Adam Holzman as the keyboard player on the current Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning tour, which I also referenced in the note, having seen them in Chicago last November. When the CD arrived I was very happy. I went to throw away the shipping envelope recently and this note fell out of the package:

adam.jpg

Wouldn't it have been? Grace was one of those best original albums ever made. It truely was a limited time opportunity. I have everything officially released including as many different CD singles as I could ever find. (Peyote Theatre, Songs For No One, 9 different Last Goodbye singles, VHS EPK)

Huge talent and huge loss. "Nusra Fat Ali Khan, he's my Elvis". Indeed.

Wouldn't it have been? Grace was one of those best original albums ever made. It truely was a limited time opportunity. I have everything officially released including as many different CD singles as I could ever find. (Peyote Theatre, Songs For No One, 9 different Last Goodbye singles, VHS EPK)

Huge talent and huge loss. "Nusra Fat Ali Khan, he's my Elvis". Indeed.

I remember having a promo copy of "Grace" behind the counter when I worked for Peaches and having no clue who he was. When it was time to pick some listening music for the store, one of my coworkers would always say, " play anything except that Jeff Buckley guy. Sounds like a dog dying." probably cost me a couple of months of getting into him.

Some of my favorites are actually on "Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk." Proof that the magic would have continued onto the next album, and so on.

I bought all the Jeff Buckley albums, EP's, singles, imports, expanded editions. Don't forget Live at Sin e! Ya gotta get the expanded version.

He died with his boots on, a cold and lonely hallelujah.

8. Jaco Pastious 1982 SD Baccanal (was reverse heckled when I asked who guitar player was; [Mike Stern] Jaco said "Charlie Christian")

Back in 1982, it was forgivable to not know who Mike Stern was, unless you were a fan of Miles Davis' then-current work, or a HUGE fan of Blood Sweat & Tears. I bet that was a heck of a show with Jaco & Mike. I first saw Mike Stern with Michael Brecker - changed my life forever.

I decided to became a musician after seeing ELP (BSS) & KC (SABB), both shows in the first half of 1974. Here are some other bands I thankfully got to see:

1. The Steve Morse Band 1983 SD State Back Door, The Fents* opened the show,
2. The Police 1983 Synchronicity SD State,
3. Romeo Void 1981 @ Mira Costa College,
4. Triumvirat 1974 Shrine Auditorium,
5. Genesis 1977 San Diego & LA in same week
6. Led Zeppelin 1975 SD Sports Arena,
7. Pink Floyd 1980 The Wall LA Sports Arena + 1994 Vanderbilt Stadium Nashville
9. Weather Report 1978 LA
10. Gentle Giant 1974-76 five shows I can remember SD & LA always amazing

I'll always regret getting into a band about 6 months too late; Jeff Buckley perhaps the most missed opportunity.

* Recently I stumbled uon a webpage where I found out that The Fents - First Offense album (1982) was available on CD if I mailed a check. I inserted a brief note recalling that I saw them play live opening for Steve Morse and that I called the phone number on the back of the album jacket in 1983 not long after the show. You may recognize the name Adam Holzman as the keyboard player on the current Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning tour, which I also referenced in the note, having seen them in Chicago last November. When the CD arrived I was very happy. I went to throw away the shipping envelope recently and this note fell out of the package:

View attachment 4948

Hey! The Fents! My friend has a cd of the Fents! and his cuz, has a cassette tape of the same. We looked for stuff but could never find anymore, wrote with no answer. really good band! interesting info., thanks!!

It was "You Baby" and "Your Maw Said You Cried" to which I first learned drum parts.

I didn't see them live until years after their heyday but they were still terrific! Howard Kaylan had/has one of THE top voices in the history of rock-and-roll.

Doug

Back in 1982, it was forgivable to not know who Mike Stern was, unless you were a fan of Miles Davis' then-current work, or a HUGE fan of Blood Sweat & Tears. I bet that was a heck of a show with Jaco & Mike. I first saw Mike Stern with Michael Brecker - changed my life forever.

There's a great jazz joint down in the Village in NYC called 55 Bar - been there forever. When Mike is in town, you can usually catch him playing there on a Monday night - it's loose as all hell and just as loud - but the joint rocks.

There's a great jazz joint down in the Village in NYC called 55 Bar - been there forever. When Mike is in town, you can usually catch him playing there on a Monday night - it's loose as all hell and just as loud - but the joint rocks.

Read about it many times but never had the pleasure. One of these days...

Attachments

• wild_man_fischer.jpg
    wild_man_fischer.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Better than Wild Man Fischer????

Never heard him before. I was ready to click away after about 10 seconds, within 30 seconds I was mesmerized, now I think I've been hypnotized...

Last edited:
Produced by FZ. Long OOP. One of my prized posessions. The soundtrack of a few stoney evenings. A fixture at LA Dodger games.

Also recorded with Rosemary Clooney (REALLY!!)

RIP Wild Man (Larry Wayne) Fischer.

Never heard him before. I was ready to click away after about 10 seconds, within 30 seconds I was mesmerized, now I think I've been hypnotized...

These are the bands[not quite 10] i've seen that are defunct[at least the incarnation is]......Yes[Union tour at the World Theater]......The Grateful Dead[Alpine Valley 1984]......BTO and Steppenwolf[both at Familyfest in Wheeling]......Rare Earth......Jefferson Starship[Wisconsin State Fair 83]

One I should have added if only for giggles..... Todd Rundgren's Utopia (late 1977 tour?), very good show, but with opening act of Starcastle! Anyone remember them? America's poor man's answer to Yes...
Actually, their light show was spectacular, the lyrics a little bombastic as I recall.

Wild Man Fisher! Now who could forget his hit song Merry Go Round! Used to hear that in high school.
Wow, Linda, you did experiance better living thru chemistry......

One I should have added if only for giggles..... Todd Rundgren's Utopia (late 1977 tour?), very good show, but with opening act of Starcastle! Anyone remember them? America's poor man's answer to Yes...
Actually, their light show was spectacular, the lyrics a little bombastic as I recall.

I saw that tour! We had to drive to Buffalo for that as they didn't come to Toronto that time around. I was there for Todd of course though I had heard "Yescastle" (as we called them).

Back