10 Bands No Longer Around That You're Glad You Saw Live

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fyi - In regards to Joe Jackson - I saw him live in about 2003-2004 - for Volume 4 and I thought the lineup had gone back to the "Original" Joe Jackson Band lineup"???

Yes, they did - that's when I saw them - but the original lineup hasn't been together since. Graham Maby has been with him practically forever, and it appears that Dave Houghton is back on a permanent basis, but Gary Sanford hasn't been with him since the Volume 4 tour.

dr. simple & Linda: I saw Joe Jackson on the Big World tour (tour before Blaze of Glory). Great show and still one of my favorite albums by Joe. I didn't count him because he still tours, even if it's not with the original band.

I would've loved to have seen the Big World Tour. Quite possibly my favorite Joe Jackson album.

Holy fuck, you saw Jellyfish. You lucky dawg.
Twice! I met them the second time. I used to love the story of when I met them, but several months ago I learned that they broke up that VERY night on the bus.

Zappa (Chicago Auditorium 1988 - Both nights!!)
The Clash (Aragon Ballroom 1982)
UK (Opening for Jethro Tull) - Bozzio/Jobson/Wetton
The Police & XTC (Aragon Ballroom 1980)
Eagles (Chicago Stadium - 1978)
Chicago & The Beach Boys (Chicago Stadium 1975 - first concert with two friends and our moms)
ELO (Chicago Stadium 1978 - Out of the Blue Tour with the spaceship)
Emerson Lake & Palmer (Early 90's reunion Poplar Creek - front row)

The one that got away - King Crimson (Poplar Creek - horrible storm flooded the theater and we didn't find out about the cancellation until we were about to pull into the lot)

Here are the UK dates in the USA;
http://www.ukreunion.com/

I can't think of 10, but a few would be:
Muddy Waters Blues Band w./ James Cotton- Grey Chapel, Ohio Wesleyan University. Right on my alma mater campus...
Same goes for the Dixie Dregs, circa 1980, @ OWU. I can't imagine that they're still going.
Jefferson Starship, with Grace on the "Earth" tour...at the Richland Coloseum outside Cleveland in 1977.
The Dead, several times between 1977 and 1989.
Blind Melon (short-lived, literally...) with Soundgarden on the Neil Young w/ Booker T & MGs tour, 1991 if I recall.
Fleetwood Mac Rumours Tour, it displaced Senior prom...Miami, FL.
The Kinks, I think 1978...not exactly the original line-up but that changed constantly anyways.

I'm glad someone finally mentioned the Grateful Dead. I also saw them several times between 1977 and 1992.

Also saw Jefferson Airplane at a free concert in Golden Gate Park.

I’ve seen a lot of original line-up bands that are still around plugging away but missing key original members. Here’s ten that are no longer around. All venues are in the Chicago area.

1. Frank Zappa – Uptown Theater -1978 & 1980
2. The Kinks – Uptown Theater -1980
3. The Smiths –Aragon Ballroom -1985
4. Nirvana – Aragon Ballroom -1993
5. Spirit – Biddy Mulligan’s-1994 (also saw them in Grant Park after that)
6. Morphine –Thurston’s -1994; Riviera Theater 1997
7. James Brown –Park West-1985 (also saw him front row at a 3/4 empty Rosement Horizon in 1986)
8. Johnny Cash –Cubby Bear Lounge-1991 (also saw him at the Bismarck Theater and the Rialto Square Theater in Joliet, IL).
9. The Ramones (with Iggy Pop)- Aragon Ballroom 1988 (also saw them in Milwaukee with the Tom Tom Club and Blondie).
10. Snakefinger - West End – 1986 (87?)

well last time I heard th SM singer, his voice was missing. But DCD that is such a good show,and I thought it was all studio tricks, i was very wrong.

almost every band I saw is no longer. I'll bite anyway
Led Zep-Syr. war memorial-( one of the best shows ever)
Mountain-Syr. wm &Utica aud -saw twice
Black Sabbath-Syr-&Utica aud-(saw 3 times)
Santana band of 1974 w/E. Clapton band in '74 -saratoga ( Santana saw twice-diff. bands both times.)
Jeff Beck w/ Jan hammer - syr aud '78?
Billy Cobham-w/Brecker Bros. 74 Ham. college chapel-great!
Stanley Clark-w Jan hammer band - 75 Syr. Univ.mens gym fukin great!
Buddy Rich- some crummy Utica venue-great show-(audience screwed up)
Savoy Brown- 75/ local comm. college-and met them, took to radio interview- Kim Simmons/Tom Yarnell
ELP- ( date - who the hell knows?) utica aud (the show that Kieth would rotate in the air on his keyboard)
Rippingtons- free show in Syr. ( still active?)
(went over 10)- forgot Cactus-live in a small club.

Last edited:
Can't come up with 10, but:

The Clash - right before London Calling, at the Hollywood Palladium. My first experience watching pogoing and bodyslamming.
Beach Boys original lineup, 1979.
Bruce and the E-street band WITH Clarence and Danny. I'm still bummed out by the loss of the Big Man.
The Who - original lineup. Anaheim Stadium 1975, festival seating (a few years before Cincinnati). Slept in the parking lot waiting to get in. Good times!
Yes - original lineup. 1977
Genesis, 1976. Just missed the Gabriel years. Still a great show.
The Tubes - 1977, Cal State Fullerton. What fun!

and 'NSync! Rose Bowl. Only because I took my two young daughters to their first concert experience. I spent 1 1/2 hours listening to preteen girls screaming like it was the Beatles!

taking the kids to n sync-
Now that is what I call- pain! true torture!! Elroy, you have my deep respect.
that also reminds me of the Beatles complaining no one could hear them live due to the screaming, no one was listening, (well the boys were)

Gosh. How could I have forgotten Chicago in January (I think) 1970 at the Minneapolis Auditorium (gone for many years now), right in the middle of their original hits. And then Jefferson Airplane a bit later (May?) at the same venue. I think Crow opened for them. Prolly the loudest band I have ever heard (or maybe tied with Zep and Litter) and one of my all-time favorite bands. Then there was the original Sha-Na-Na line-up at the Depot in the winter of 1970-71 I believe. The atmosphere was very heavy with dope smoke.

I always prided myself on staying relatively sober at events. I could never understand my friends wanting to get totally loaded and then barely recall being there later.

And tickets were usually 5 -7 bucks back then. Wow!

I would have loved to see Blondie. Debbie Harry is wonderful!

Doug

It is very sad what happened to Led Zeppelin but it is almost as if there really was a god who told them, "You will be created immediately before the seventies, last throughout the decade, and then end immediately after the seventies.

Odys, yes the aborted 1976 tour. Unfortunate. I think there was an abbreviated 1977 tour wasn't there?

Of all the bands I've seen, I think they are the most memorable. I mean, it's close with some of the others but...

The first I ever heard them was when I was at my friend Duane's and our mutual friend Arnie Nelson called us and said he had this new album and we HAD to come out and hear it. So we did, on Arnie's home-made stereo.

We were, nevertheless, overwhelmed and that was the beginning.

Doug

It is very sad what happened to Led Zeppelin but it is almost as if there really was a god who told them, "You will be created immediately before the seventies, last throughout the decade, and then end immediately after the seventies.

Odys, yes the aborted 1976 tour. Unfortunate. I think there was an abbreviated 1977 tour wasn't there?

Of all the bands I've seen, I think they are the most memorable. I mean, it's close with some of the others but...

The first I ever heard them was when I was at my friend Duane's and our mutual friend Arnie Nelson called us and said he had this new album and we HAD to come out and hear it. So we did, on Arnie's home-made stereo.

We were, nevertheless, overwhelmed and that was the beginning.

Doug

we saw the tour promoting the 4th album, and it was the only concert I had ever been to where the whole audience was so taken everyone just sat down and listend..no jumping,yelling, or any type of usual concert activity. Not even j passing!
I still remember how powerful and present they were, BTW-they did use rear speakers for effects live. when jimmy page used the bow to play his guitar and of course whole lotta love-etc. never saw that happen again with a rock band.

I would have loved to see Blondie. Debbie Harry is wonderful!

Doug

You still could. Saw them two years ago and they haven't lost a step. Classic material sounded perfect. They reached into older punk stuff and sounded great. Even covered current radio stuff. Just great. Debbie Harry rocked it for over two hours to a crowd entirely half her age.

Heres one I forgot, The jefferson Airplane reunion with all original members 1989 at the Greek theatre in Los angeles. great show.

I had intended to buy tix for that tour. JA went on sale at Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI. Before I could get to buy the tix, the show was cancelled. I was told that it was due to poor ticket sales!! BTW: Alpine is where Stevie Ray Vaughn's helicopter crashed after a show. Saw many Dead and Dead splinter groups there.

Another cancelled show that I had tix for was Miles Davis at the Vic, Chicago. It was for April 1!!! I was told Miles cancelled because he had pneumonia. I saw him a few months later at the Chicago Theater.

I also had tickets for a later Spirit gig than Zabble mentioned at Biddy Mulligans, Chicago, IL. When we arrived at the venue, we were informed that Spirit missed their flight.

The saddest missed opportunity is Harry Chapin. I had tix for him at Ravinia, Highland Park, IL. for a week after his tragic death.

Heres one I forgot, The jefferson Airplane reunion with all original members 1989 at the Greek theatre in Los angeles. great show.

I had intended to buy tix for that tour. JA went on sale at Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI.

I'm old enough to have grown up with the classic rock groups, but young enough in spirit for JA to mean Jane's Addiction to me, rather than Jefferson Airplane.:)

I thought that when I typed it, but then I mused "naw, people will see Jefe's quote with Jefferson Airplane." But I can see the confusion, as they both had album covers with fire.
I'm old enough to have grown up with the classic rock groups, but young enough in spirit for JA to mean Jane's Addiction to me, rather than Jefferson Airplane.:)

Although I would never confuse JA meaning Jane's Addiction instead of Jefferson Airplane (because I am old), the former is one of the good ones from the alternative era.

Doug

That's a hell of a lot of drugs between both those bands.

I listened to some live mahavishnu orchestra today, an unreleased live album called Wild Strings, and it made me remember I did see them live, at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, probably 1974. I used to keep my old tickets but don't have those anymore so I can't be sure of the date. But I'm not hallucinating, I did see them. I recall that I never heard anyone play guitar as fast as John Mclaughlin. They were steller musicians. But you know, you couldn't dance to it......

Back